• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Gadget for Clutches

roger 04 rt

I got a gadget I made for oilhead clutches. I didn't think this was the place to make a coin. I might be wrong.

I will be opening up my R1150RT to lubricate the splines and also I'll be changing the clutch slave cylinder. I don't want to do the job twice so I'm keenly interested in any parts, tools or techniques that you've come up with for clutches.

What is the problem you've found that others aren't addressing?

What is the solution you've come up with?

Have you taken field data on its effectiveness?

Can you show us photos and provide specs yet?

Looking forward to hearing about it soon.
RB

The clutch slave does not need changing if the fluid has been changed regularly and the little bearing in the piston is still in good condition.

My machine ('00 1150GS) has the original slave @ 254,000 km
I change the fluid every season and have lubed the little bearing 3 times with high temperature wheel bearing grease.

I have noticed that new slave cylinders right from BMW have been undergreased right out of the bag and this may account for the many early failures reported.
Picture below of a brand new assy. shows the "shot" of grease. Note the dry balls visible.
When the pushrod is inserted for the first time it pushes the little grease there is right to the back of the inner race where it does little good.
Work the fresh grease in while spinning the outer race to ensure all the balls are covered.

Attachments

• Slave bearing1.jpg
    Slave bearing1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 179
I would replace the clutch slave while your in there....I had mine fail early on in the bike's life, a leaking slave can ruin the clutch....

of course inspect the clutch for wear and replace if needed.

Hello Addict,
It has been a couple of years since I lubed the splines on my '04RT and I admit my memory isn't what it once was but I can't for the life of me recall the bearing you discuss lubricating. I went to the on-line OEM parts sight and couldn't find this component.

Thanks, and please excuse my poor memory:banghead
Jim

It is permanently recessed in the slave piston.The pushrod end goes into it.
It is a non replaceable part that is part of the entire clutch slave assembly.
It will not show up on any parts fiche.

Back