• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1200GT won't start - help needed, URGENT

merrittgene

2006 K1200GT, 1986 K100
Help! I'm stranded (in my own garage) but I'm trying to leave Wednesday. :banghead

2006 K1200GT, no recent service/changes of any kind. Bike ran fine one week ago and sat in garage since.

I went to the garage this morning, and on a whim, started the bike to make sure it was ready to go (battery charged, etc.) The engine cranked and then fired like normal, ran for 2-3 seconds then stopped running. I don't believe there was any noise associated with the engine dying, but the silence was a shock!

The engine will now crank like normal, etc. but there is nothing that sounds like the engine wanting to start.

It appears I have full electrical service, but I don't know if I'm getting spark. I didn't hear any bad mechanical noises and the engine cranks easily, so I don't think it's a mechanical issue. I have a full tank of gas, but I don't know if I have fuel to the engine.

I'm headed to the garage to take the plastic off and see what I can see. I'm hoping someone has seen this before and can help direct my search.

It's times like this that I really wish Haynes and Clymer made a manual for me...instead of telling me that the market is not big enough for this model. :fight

2-3 seconds of running would be just about right for emptying the fuel rail if the fuel pump is not running.

When you turn on the ignition and put the kill switch in Run, do you hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds to pressurize the fuel rail? If not, first check the fuel pump fuse.

Let us know what you find, and we'll go from there.

Dunno

Out of pure frustration and dread, I spent the first 90 minutes of my "repair" surfing the forum for related issues, then resigned myself to actually going back to the garage.

I tried to start the engine a couple of times (still cranking at full speed, but no firing), then decided the battery was going to get drained if I kept doing that. So, I put the bike on the center stand, plugged in the charger, and then tried it again.

The noise during cranking was different, but I heard it try to start, so I kept at it, and it eventually fired and ran. :dance

I played with the engine cut-off switch, the neutral safety switch, and the clutch interlock, and they all seemed to be working properly.

Somewhere in here, I turned the key and listened for the fuel pump and I heard it just like normal. (all this time, the engine started every time I pushed the button.) One of these times, I perceived that the fuel pump didn't come on as quickly, but even that delay was only 1 second.

I started and stopped the engine a dozen times, and can't repeat the problem. I suppose it could have been a dry fuel rail, but what should I do? If it's electrical, I could chase it forever without finding it.

Do I just ride it and keep my fingers crossed?

BTW, I've never seen a fuse on this bike. Is there a fuse panel?

or, check for a kink in the fuel line, (guessing that it has a fuel filter inside the tank as my K1100 does)
I guess that could come and go.

Back