• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

AAA Towing

Bmandiego

Has anyone had luck or misfortune with using AAA for towing motorcycles? I need to get mine towed from my garage to a nearby dealer, and I was wondering how it worked away from out in the wild.

Since nobody else - with triple A - is answering, I'll take a poke. We don't have AAA, we have Allstate RV. But, most plans won't tow from your home address. AAA might?? You might have to push the bike around the corner or something. Then give them that address.

I had to have my Car towed from my house to a repair facility. I have AAA. It was no problem.

Bike Towing AAA

Has anyone had luck or misfortune with using AAA for towing motorcycles? I need to get mine towed from my garage to a nearby dealer, and I was wondering how it worked away from out in the wild.

A friend of mine has AAA tow, but he has it in conjunction with an RV policy. That worked, but he had to be more than 100 miles from home in order for the tow from AAA.

I have Progressive Tow, and I must be more than 100 miles from home in order for it to be in force.

Allstate RV is running a promo price of $75. covers unlimited roadside service to the nearest capable service provider. As an added benefit, there is a $2,000 arrest bond certificate.

I scheduled a tow from my garage to the dealer (flat front tire) with AAA for tomorrow. I bought some PR3's from Revzilla. She gave me no grief about the appointment. We'll see how it works out tomorrow.
It's nice to hear who everyone has their tow policy with and how it's working.
Thanks for replies.

I have AAA, it is called AAA plus Motorcycle now. Have had to use it twice both times 90 plus miles from home. Both times towing company was there promptly and with the proper vehicle.

Cal

I've had AAA Premier RV for several years. I've had to tow the bike and the car once from home to a shop and there were no problems.

Brother has AAA in So Cal and they put his bike on a flat bed and took it to the dealer about 30 miles away with a bed rear wheel wobble on his Triumph.

We have the companion program CAA (RV) in Canada. We have had to use it state-side and had no problems at all. So, AAA will presumably work well while in Canada if it has the RV or Motorcycle designation. The other services (ie hard copy resources like maps, books, general local info etc) are excellent. AAA and CAA are reciprocal regarding the above. $ well spent. :thumb - Bob

A friend of mine has AAA tow, but he has it in conjunction with an RV policy. That worked, but he had to be more than 100 miles from home in order for the tow from AAA.

I have Progressive Tow, and I must be more than 100 miles from home in order for it to be in force.

Interesting. My old FJ62 threw a rod 1/4 mile from home and AAA towed it home for free. I would have done it myself but I live on a steep mountain and the FJ was pretty danged heavy.

AAA motorcycle coverage is not offered everywhere. I can't get it in the southern New England AAA club.

I don't know if I'd be covered by AAA if I needed it outside this area since I am a AAA member. I also don't know if people who have it from their own local AAA can receive service here.

AAA regions

Check your regional AAA for coverage. Here in the Carolinas, motorcycle coverage requires AAA RV; while in the GA Region, it is AAA motorcycle plus.

Call your local AAA office to make the proper choice of coverage.

I have the AAA/RV coverage. I had to use it on a trip in MN last summer. They were fine with it. They put it on the flat bed of the truck but had me help push it on and take off the truck. The guy was pretty nervous but it was fine, he did a great job tying it down.

good idea to travel with a couple of ratchet straps..... keep control of the loading and securing. All shops are not created equal - Bob

So the tow guy came, and, as we were ratcheting the bike down, he says,"Did AAA tell you I have to charge you?", I ask him, "How much?", he quotes over $100.00 for a 3.7 mile tow. I tell him that I can rent a trailer for $25.00. I say "um... hold on.", and call AAA.
Turns out I had initiated the RV and motorcycle coverage 5 days ago, but he has to be 7 days before I can use it, pita. I complained, and had the message sent to their supervisors, etc. I've had the insurance for 20-30 years, plus the membership, plus I have 4 vehicles covered with them. It's not like I'm going anywhere....gheesh.
The guy did a great job strapping it down, though. I hope to get the same service, (All Star towing, north county san diego) when I try again next week.

My BMWMOA and AAA are both up for renewal this month. I was trying to decide if I wanted to keep the BMWMOA PLATINUM CYCLE CLUB MOTORCYCLE ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE or upgrade my AAA to RV PLUS. The cost is about the same and I'm guessing that in most places the roadside service provider will be the same for either plan. Since there doesn't seem to be any reason to change I'm going to stay with the MOA plan for now.

AAA Premium RV

I've had Ohio AAA Premium RV membership for about 5 years. Ohio AAA allows towing of cars, trucks, RVs, trailers, and motorcycles. Currently, they allow up to 5 tows a year of <100 miles, but one can be up to 200 miles. I have used the 200 mile tow about three times.

In all cases, the service was prompt, courteous, and properly equipped for a motorcycle.

Not all states' AAA plans allow the 200 mile tow. But, all three times - in States that didn't offer it - they had to honor my Ohio plan. One was in BC.

Here, it costs about $125 a year. Any one of the three ~200 mile tows would pay for the five years' AAA dues.

Having a pickup with a camper, 2 cars and 3 motorcycles I'll stick with AAA Premium, since it covers everything.

Back