• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

mileage range-2002 R1150R

billy1150r

I just got a 2002 R1150R with 26k on her. my fuel light goes on at about 150 miles. that seems a lot lower than i would expect. is this a sensor that often gives bad info or fails? I want to do some longer trips but do not wanna push her 5 milieus to gas station. Any help?

Yeah, it seems the low fuel sensor is coming on early. It is really safe to figure 40 mpg on almost any Oilhead other than the S model. Based on having at least five gallons in the fuel tank means the low fuel light really should not come on till almost 200 miles.

I have 17 years with the same bike, my 94 R1100RS. When the low fuel light comes on I have always gotten another 30 miles out of the bike before I HAVE to absolutely get gas. It has never run out of fuel on me using this distance as my limit, and the bike is also on the original fuel pump after 164k miles.

Fuel light

My light comes on in the 130 mile range with combined street and freeway driving.

Hi Billy:

Since you know the tank capacity and you know how much it takes to fill, you also know what's left.

When I got my bike I took a jerry can once and went to the limit which was 460KM or 275 Miles. Fuel pumps don't like running empty but I felt I had to do it once.

I've found that the low fuel light and the gauge are both different bike to bike but consistent individually.
After a while you get used to the information.

Billy,

Just ride it a few tanks (3-) and get an idea of what your mileage is. Then if you have a 5 gal tank figure on 4 gal of actual use at that mpg and that should give you a real "safe zone" (say 4 gal at 40 mpg = 160 miles) so around that mile mark if your gauge comes on or not you've still got roughly another gallon to start looking for stations. The gas gauges are screwy on these bikes so that average works well. Of course all bets are off if you hot rod around on one tank and then drive like your an old man the next, consistency is the key.

Best of luck!

FWIW, just looked at the book re my 2000 RT the other day and happened to notice that it claims when two bars show on the RID you should have about a gallon left.

On my 1998 RT, the magic # is approximately 340 km (212 miles) when the fuel light shines. For some reason, after leaving when filling up, with seconds, my fuel gauge drops from the top bar to the next one.

Helen has the same model '02 1150 R. average light up is 160 miles, reserve about a gallon as mentioned. 220 miles at '1400 MSL is her average around here. If in the mountains , maybe 240. If romping hard 200 miles and the light comes on around 150. Your tank has a float arm fuel level potentiometer and the warning light only.The RT's have a visual display of fuel level.

Topping the tank up to the max allowed makes a huge difference...some folks let the pump click and hit the road. In some western states you may wished you had topped it!:brow Not mentioning any names...Helen...Chuck... :nyah running out 5 miles from a station more than once is a funny story...later.

Adding year and model to your thread title will also help with specific model info

Yeah, it seems the low fuel sensor is coming on early. It is really safe to figure 40 mpg on almost any Oilhead other than the S model. Based on having at least five gallons in the fuel tank means the low fuel light really should not come on till almost 200 miles.

I have 17 years with the same bike, my 94 R1100RS. When the low fuel light comes on I have always gotten another 30 miles out of the bike before I HAVE to absolutely get gas. It has never run out of fuel on me using this distance as my limit, and the bike is also on the original fuel pump after 164k miles.

Andy- you know something i don't know?
before i chipped my 11S, i was solid for 43 mpg, no problem. since installing chip, 40 is my functional worst (around town, track, etc), with touring mode of 50+. best was 59 mpg.
my idiot light comes on anywhere from 135 to 180, with 160 or so being about "normal".
regardless of when it comes on, i know i have 1.25 gallons to go once i see that light.

Thanks

I was checking how much i was using and my mileage this recent tank light went on at 126. i have in the past tried it with my other bikes, see where i actually run out at while carrying some gas. just seeing if the sensor is some of the problem. thanks everyone for the help. Pic on the oilhead photo page too.

Really, light on at 126 miles on the tank? Some things you can do to confirm actual mileage:

1. Always fill the bike up the same way. For me, that is always on the centerstand and I fill it to the bottom of the filler neck.
2. Record your miles ridden for the amount of gas used. Easy division to determine the real miles per gallon.
3. For about five tank fills, try to get gas within a few miles of when the light comes on.

Doing this should confirm your real mileage regardless of the light coming on. Also it will tell you how much gas is really used for when the light comes on. If it consistently comes on at only say, 3.5 gallons used, then you know the calibration is off. But at least you'll really know how far you can go.

today's ride

today i left from western ma going to philly. the light went on at 140 and i went til 183 til i goat gas on the thruway and she took 4.59 gal so i still had about 1 g left so call it 220 mptankful.

Our 11S also is in the 40's regularly.

S's? My first S and the one I have now are just like the other two oil heads I've owned. MPG ranges from mid thirties to 50, and a hair over at times. This all depends on road type, elevation, temps and of course, what my right wrist is do'n.

today i left from western ma going to philly. the light went on at 140 and i went til 183 til i goat gas on the thruway and she took 4.59 gal so i still had about 1 g left so call it 220 mptankful.

Tank capacity is stated at 5.4 US gallons for the Roadster. And reserve is a tad over 1 gallon.
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/specpages/R1150R.htm
I am just guessing you are not getting it completely full if the light is coming on that early. Unless you are running 80 in 4th gear for the tankful:laugh
You may also need to reset your TPS if MPG is low. Turn key on/ no start and roll throttle on all the way slowly 2-3 times.Turn key off .Turn key back on and start & ride:dance

shakedown cruise

Well with the warmer weather i took her out for about 750 miles and wound her up a bit and it seems that the average light on has moved to the mid 150's and looks like based on tank volume i can get 200 miles and still have about .5 g left in the tank which falls nicely inline with everyones comments best tank was just over 42 mpg and worst was 39 and change

... i can get 200 miles and still have about .5 g left in the tank which falls nicely inline with everyones comments best tank was just over 42 mpg and worst was 39 and change

Sounds about right if you were pushing it hard. You might even get better mileage with non-ethanol gas and slowing down a bit.

I just got a 2002 R1150R with 26k on her. my fuel light goes on at about 150 miles. that seems a lot lower than i would expect. is this a sensor that often gives bad info or fails? I want to do some longer trips but do not wanna push her 5 milieus to gas station. Any help?

The low fuel light comes on on my Rockster at anywhere from 137-158 miles. Depends on how I ride and how full I fill the tank. I can generally count on getting another 30 miles comfortably before "needing" to fill up.

P

Gas mileage on my 2002 r1150r

Got the yellow bumble bee 2002 r1150r. My light comes on at around 160 miles and I ride it pretty hard in the hills where I live. Not long distance riding for the most part.

When I do ride the long rides, it may come on around 180 when I'm on the slabs doing long steady riding. So my range is between 40 mpg to 52 mpg depending on the rides.

I did run out of gas on the Blue Ridge Mtn Highway coming back from the rally in Tenn a couple of years ago. I was pushing it to 200 miles. Not a good idear....I'd carry a small gas can and use it around 160 or 170 miles. You should be safe to get someplace to a station if you are in civilization somewhere.

Peace out...Greg

Back