• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Adding a Pro-Oiler

romany

Has anyone added a Pro-Oiler to your F800GS or F650GS. I do a lot of riding in the rain and was thinking of adding one to ease the wear and tear on my chain, my knees and my back.

This oiler is electric but I wonder about tieing it into the Canbus system.

If anyone has one installed I'd like to hear from you.

Has anyone added a Pro-Oiler to your F800GS or F650GS. I do a lot of riding in the rain and was thinking of adding one to ease the wear and tear on my chain, my knees and my back.

This oiler is electric but I wonder about tieing it into the Canbus system.

If anyone has one installed I'd like to hear from you.

Not my bike but I just did some work on a bike that had a Pro-Oiler installed. Based on what I saw I don't think it needs to be an issue with Canbus. It was installed with the power lead coming from the tail light circuit. I was doing a bunch of other electrical work including installing Motolights and a Fuzeblock. I reworked the wiring scheme to power the oiler with the relay that activates only with key on. The coil current for the relay is so low it ought not upset the canbus at all but I certainly would install the oiler using a relay on a canbus bike.

Don't use tail light lead

On the F800GS/F650GS a LED tailight is used. The same LEDs are used for the running and tail light. The brightness is varied by changing from a pulsed mode (too fast for the eye to see the flashing but visible due to the strobe effect if you take a video) for running to constant on for braking. As such it is not a great choice to drive anything else.

mike

On the F800GS/F650GS a LED tailight is used. The same LEDs are used for the running and tail light. The brightness is varied by changing from a pulsed mode (too fast for the eye to see the flashing but visible due to the strobe effect if you take a video) for running to constant on for braking. As such it is not a great choice to drive anything else.

mike

Good point! Thank you! Excellent advice.

Us old guys need to keep up! So use the front "parking" light circuit.

And....here is a great way to "trigger" from the front parking light circuit-
From the gang at Twisted Throttle-

9008-500x600.jpg

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/search/?SectionIDOverride=3&SearchText=ec.02350

Parking light

I have used the "CAN-BUS (sic) electrical connector" on two F650GS (twin) bikes to activate a relay for auxiliary lights and it does work well.

mike

I had a Scott oiler on Annie's F650GS Twin. I ran it thru a fuse block. Don't know if you are planning on adding other electrical stuff, but if so you may want to consider the fuse block.

By the way I pulled the oiler off. While the electrics worked okay the point where it oils the chain is fragile and subject to getting hit by debris and clogging. My second try at an oiler and I'm done. First time you have to mess with it on the road and get covered in the oilly slime it becomes a bigger deficit rather than a plus.

Last edited:
I have used the "CAN-BUS (sic) electrical connector" on two F650GS (twin) bikes to activate a relay for auxiliary lights and it does work well.

mike
Don't think this will work for me as I've pulled out the stock halogen headlight bulbs and replaced them with HiD bulbs and the associated wiring and heat sinks.

you may want to consider the fuse block....the point where it oils the chain is fragile and subject to getting hit by debrie and clogging.....QUOTE]

I like the idea of the fuse box which would support some additional electrical options. Looks like the Twisted Throttle fuse box would be ideal as, if I understand this correctly, items can be connected so that they are either switch through the ignition or on all the time. I`d only go with them switched through the ignition. Hate walking away from vehicles whose lights or whatever stay on even though you`ve turned the ignition off.

In regards to the drip device affected by debrie and clogging - was that related to how much on or off road riding you did. I`m almost exclusively riding pavement.

you may want to consider the fuse block....the point where it oils the chain is fragile and subject to getting hit by debrie and clogging.....QUOTE]

I like the idea of the fuse box which would support some additional electrical options. Looks like the Twisted Throttle fuse box would be ideal as, if I understand this correctly, items can be connected so that they are either switch through the ignition or on all the time. I`d only go with them switched through the ignition. Hate walking away from vehicles whose lights or whatever stay on even though you`ve turned the ignition off.

In regards to the drip device affected by debrie and clogging - was that related to how much on or off road riding you did. I`m almost exclusively riding pavement.

Fuse block: There are models out there that allow you to have both switched and unswitched circuits. That is a handy attribute. You will probably want to have a GPS circuit unswitched so you don't have to worry about it at a fuel stop. Aux lights you will want switched. Search for fuse blocks in gear or other places and you'll get pleanty of info.

Annie had the Scott Oiler on her 650GS twin which has seen only road duty. The road includes the ALCAN and Cassiar, but roads none the less. In 3500 miles the distribution head clogged twice and one of the two drip points became misaligned once. On her 650GS single she had a simpler version in which she had to squeeze a small bottle to cause the oiler to work (just as effective as the $200 version at 20% the cost, Aerostitch sells them). She had that mounted for 2 years of Alaska riding including the haul road and multiple trips on other dirt roads. It was a bit better but it still clogged and became misaligned. If you look at the oilers they all depend on some sort of Rube Goldberg arrangement to disperse the oil on the chain IMHO. Great while they are working but a pain when they are not. Trying to work on the dispersal system is similar to cleaning up a superfund site, no fun on the side of the road.

Last edited:
Eastern Beaver has some excellent fuse block options, and a boat load of other good stuff.

Ordered one last week. I'll use it to wire a set of Denali 2 LED's which are on back order. If there is a god at the USPS all should arrive just as I return from a trip to Ireland. Not satisfied with riding in the rain on Vancouver Island I've booked a 5 day tour with Celtic Rider to sample some of that fine Irish rain. As for the Pro-Oiler - I've decided to hold off pending more research. Thanks to all for your feed back.

Just back from Ireland where I rode a F650GS for five days. It came equipped with a ScotOiler (vacuum model) The wheel is covered in oil splatter and road grime. To this point the ride included about two hours of showers and two hours of riding in a steady rain.

The chain is well oiled and has no grime or grudge built up on it. However, if you've got to clean the wheel - why not just clean the chain.? Of course one could leave the wheel for weeks and weeks.

Apparently Rider magazine just concluded a test on chain oilers and the electric systems came out on top.
DropBox
http://picasaweb.google.com/112625107547151041815/DropBox?gsessionid=I5EJyG3tKTmWtgT6Ye-pcQ#5722152146115915122

Back