• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Goodbye, My Friends

F

From MARS

Last riding season was spent building my new home. There were a few short rides to keep the lubricants circulated, but they only totaled about 500 miles. What was enlightening is that I didn't really miss riding. This revelation led me to examine my plans going forward; did I see myself riding more in the future? Probably not is what I concluded. Therefore, I've decided to not renew my membership. The bike will be sold this Spring.

Why post this decision? Its to let my virtual friends know why I am no longer posting here. I wish you all well, and I thank you for the entertainment and knowledge you have provided over the last 5 years.

I can still be found on ADVrider's Old's Cool forum, screen name "Martian", until the bike sells, and my offer of a camping space in the Kansas Flint Hills is still valid.

Ride safe.
Tom

Tom,

We'll all be sorry to see you go from this site. Rest assured there are probably more people contemplating this very decision as lives move into the next phase. Best wishes to you as you take this next step.

You will miss it

Tom,
You know all of us are planning on bringing more scotch, white lightning, and Cuban cigars than you can consume to the Old'sKool rally this Spring. Is it just the riding you are done with?

I've done the same thing two or three times over the last 40 years. Each time I was sure it was the right thing to do. However, I found out that it's a disease. It may go into remission for several years but it always comes back. Be sure to come back and rejoin us when (not if) you buy your next bike..

Good luck and see you later.

Ken

For 4 months I had the same notion based on sciatica,but now with no pain, I'm working my projects & lubing the splines on my trip bike,thinking Mexico & looking at the marketplace for perhaps a new ride. Good luck with your decision. Maybe I'll get to stop by next visit to KS.:wave

You'll live in our hearts! Stop by now and again please.

We will miss your wisdom.

Voni

For 4 months I had the same notion based on sciatica,but now with no pain, I'm working my projects & lubing the splines on my trip bike,thinking Mexico & looking at the marketplace for perhaps a new ride. Good luck with your decision. Maybe I'll get to stop by next visit to KS.:wave

Good luck with your new adventure...I've enjoyed reading some of your post on the forum. I have cancelled my membership two or three times over the years for one reason or the other but I always come back. Hope to see you back also.

And...kantuckid...don't let the sciatica stop you....I've had two back operations and battled sciatica for 25 years; it gets better or you just learn how to deal with it. I was in bed for a solid month Christmas of 2010 and was ready to check out of life altogether but then I got better; it comes and goes. Enjoy you dreams of Mexico and let us know about the adventure when you come back.

We hate to see you go, but you need to do what feels right for you. On 9/17/11 I had a very bad accident and wasn;t expected to live. After two months in the hospital, and lots of therapy I'm feeling much better. I bought a new bike last week and have began my 44th year on the road.

Tom,
I've enjoyed your posts and wish you all the best. Stop in and say hello now and again!

Tom,
You know all of us are planning on bringing more scotch, white lightning, and Cuban cigars than you can consume to the Old'sKool rally this Spring. Is it just the riding you are done with?
I'm not sure what you are asking, but even without a bike, I still have enough bad habits to fit in with that group.:)

I've done the same thing two or three times over the last 40 years. Each time I was sure it was the right thing to do. However, I found out that it's a disease. It may go into remission for several years but it always comes back. Be sure to come back and rejoin us when (not if) you buy your next bike..

Ken
Ken, I've done the same thing. I first joined the MOA back in '94 and left when Texas drivers scared me off the bike. I may once again get the desire to ride, and if I do, it will be a BMW. Then, I would be back.

You'll live in our hearts! Stop by now and again please.

We will miss your wisdom.

Voni

As you and Paul will live in mine. Stop by if you are in the neighborhood.:wave

We hate to see you go, but you need to do what feels right for you. On 9/17/11 I had a very bad accident and wasn;t expected to live. After two months in the hospital, and lots of therapy I'm feeling much better. I bought a new bike last week and have began my 44th year on the road.

The thought of injury does come into the picture. I've been riding, off and on, since '72. Totaled one bike and crashed two others in my younger days. But I don't bounce as well as I used to and with no health insurance, a wreck would ruin me financially. When the risk/fun ratio tilted the wrong way, I decided it was time to stop.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Tom

Ken

This describes my experience as well... once in the blood I always seem to return. My last hiatus from motorcycling was the result of triathlon's, I just did not have the time or room in my life for both . I was sure that would be it for me, so I sold my mc and all my gear. A couple of my friends suggested not selling, but rather leave the bike in the corner of the garage with a cover on it. In hindsight this is advice I should have followed, because 4 years later, after a knee & shoulder injury kept me from continuing in triathlons, my passion to ride again kicked in. Then I had to start all over again. Your experience, wants & needs may be different so whatever happens, I wish you well and the best of luck to you.

How's the boat coming along ?

Its not. I built a new cabin in the middle of nowhere instead of redoing the boat. This way, I get my solitude and view without having to worry about my home sinking.

I'm getting to be more and more a home body with hermit tendencies. After a life of traveling, living all over the country, and constantly being asked "my story", its nice to be nesting where locals learn who you are and what you do and leave you be to do it.

Tom

I've always found that hobby interest rotates through a core of 3 or 4 main ones that I have. Good luck with what sounds like a great new place to live (in). Gary

....... Good luck with what sounds like a great new place to live (in). Gary

I love my new location. Its an old homestead that we were very lucky to get. I started clearing the space last March, and then working weekends and after work, built the structure.

First the piers.

This is how I stay in shape.

Then the framing.

Ran the power and water.

Then the siding.

The last piece of siding is in place. That's why I look so happy!

There was time to relax and enjoy the view.

The interior is still a work in progress.

But there is heat, electricity, and water; so I'm able to live here while I work towards finishing the interior. Aside from the satisfaction of having done everything from designing to constructing my home, there is the great sense of relief from having NO mortgage!

Tom

Last edited:
Back