• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bringing Krauser Bags Back to Life

S

shieldhouse

I was cleaning up my R100RS about a month ago. Sprayed some kind of quick wax or quick detailer onto the surface of one of my Krauser bags and forgot to wipe the stuff off. One week later I discovered two gigantic off-white blotches on the bag. I've since been trying to remove them with various cleaning agents and with spray silicone. Can anyone suggest what I can do to remove the stains and restore the shiny black finish? Thanks!

... some kind of quick wax or quick detailer ...

So, which was it?Back to Black is pretty good stuff, but I don't know if it will conceal what is basically a wax "blush".

If you have a heat gun I would try that to see if it will re-melt the wax. BUT BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET THE SURFACE TOO HOT!!!! It shouldn't take too much heat to make it go back into suspension, if it's going to; ref.: not enough to cause physical discomfort when played across the back of your hand.

You might consider setting up a test swatch too. If you could find a piece of plastic and apply some of the "cleaner" you used, and let it sit (remember, patience is a virtue), it might save you some grief (see first paragraph warn ing).

My bags did the same thing. I used black spray paint and sprayed over the spots very quickly and lightly, then dabbed the wet paint with a rag. You can't tell where the spots were. Hope this helps.

+1 for heat gun used with caution.

If any body knows of good info on the bag latches, I'm all ears (eyes).
I realize we're talking finish here, but this still fits in the context of the thread. If there's a better place for it, I can move it over.
My Krausers lack a solid, reassuring click and seem to spring up a bit when pushed closed...makes me question whether or not they're really closed. :eek
I have two sets and they both do this so I wonder if it's a common thing?
Anybody else?

If the problem really is a white colored wax coating on the bag then a good wax remover is the answer. Hot soap and water might work as well as anything.

My second choice would be a petroleum based cleaner. WD40 might work.

Next Isopropyl alcohol.

Next a naptha based solvent like lighter fluid.

If water, petroleum, alcohol, and naptha all fail that is really good wax unlike any I've ever found. As they always say in the disclaimers, test in an inconspicuous place.

My Krausers lack a solid, reassuring click and seem to spring up a bit when pushed closed...makes me question whether or not they're really closed. :eek
I have two sets and they both do this so I wonder if it's a common thing?
Anybody else?
Mine used to do the same thing... and in fact they weren't very secure. I replaced the latches with a new set and that was an improvement, but as they wore over the years the new set started showing the same symptoms. I guess that's why so many folks use straps. I replaced my Krauser bags with a set of Hepco Becker replica bags (from Bob's BMW) a couple of years back- the latches click closed much more positively (they look the same but the mechanism within the latch appears different) and do not spring back up. I don't know if you could locate a set of latches from the new bags, but if so, I'm sure they could be made to fit easily.

My bags did the same thing. I used black spray paint and sprayed over the spots very quickly and lightly, then dabbed the wet paint with a rag. You can't tell where the spots were. Hope this helps.

The spray paint solution worked great. (I suspect my bags had been sprayed previously, by the way.)

I've retraced my steps and discovered the agent that messed up my bags was SILICONE SPRAY. It normally works great on vinyl and rubber. In this case, I suspect it reacted to the Krylon that already was coating the bag.

I did by the Back to Black product. (I also own the Amy Winehouse record of the same name.) It didn't take care of the discolored bag, but it worked great on everything else.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

rs

Quick;

Get the WD40 out:). It has removed more wax errors from mine(same bags) over the years than I can list. On my truck too, all the plastics that get waxed over. WD40 gets it off quickly:). My bags are originals from'78...Randy

Back