• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 R1200R...I hate to ask but....

I have a BMW OEM lowered saddle off an 08 R12R that I'm willing to part with. It is in Montana and I will not be able to get my hands on it until OCT.

Stopped at the Eugene beemer place this morning to see how much a lowered saddle might set me back.

instead of getting the BMW low seat try talking to Don at Mr. Ed's Moto in Albany OR and have him make you a lower seat. it will end up being cheaper and more comfortable then the BMW seat. Don has made seats for my past two bikes and i am 100% happy with his work.

EDIT: just did a mapquest and from Bandon OR to Albany OR it's 180 miles. if it were me i would call Don and take a nice ride to his shop and have a seat made while i waited.

good luck and i hope you enjoy your new bike.

I think an R1200R might just work

I've been trying to find the perfect fi for my next bike and after learning about the low seat options for the R1200R, I think I may have found it. The question that I have is if it would make sense to order a lower suspension 2012 model and get it made the way I want it, or just look around until I find a low seat model to try out.

After reading about issues with ABS modulator pumps I'm a bit weary of even getting a bike with ABS. Has anyone had any problems with the current system. I would not be really happy with a full brake lock-up at speed or a repair bill that tops $2K for parts.

After reading about issues with ABS modulator pumps I'm a bit weary of even getting a bike with ABS. Has anyone had any problems with the current system. I would not be really happy with a full brake lock-up at speed or a repair bill that tops $2K for parts.

Don't worry about the BMW ABS II system. It is a solid, very good ABS that actually works properly. Worth every penny when you absolutely need to have it. ABS systems are designed to release brake pressure when certain conditions are met, not lock them up. If you are concerned about brake lockups at speed with a non-abs bike, perhaps some instruction in threshold braking and some track days would make you feel better and give good experience in the techniques.

Larry, my R12GS just had its 12,000 mile service when I got it. Nearly 80,000 miles later it runs like a top. With few exceptions, I've only paid for maintenance and the 6K services. The exceptions to that have been few, and none have broken the bank. The most money I put in the bike was for a set of Ohlins shocks. I had them installed at 66,000 miles because the original stock rear shock started leaking, so I include that expense as maintenance.

There isn't a lot of mechanical differences between the R12R and the R12GS, so I'd say my experience applies to your prospective bike. I can't swear that you'll have the same good experience with an R12, but its the only experience I have to relate.

Good luck, and let us know what you do.

Back