• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Low Bars

markst1

I'm thinking about changing upright bars to low bars on my '74 R75/6. I have seen specs for different length cables with high and low bars. If I were to change, it seems to me that I wouldn't really need to change all of the cables, would I? The cables may have a bit of extra slack. I also would plan to get longer stem mirrors (or possibly bar end mirrors). I guess that I would be able to simply move the controls from one bar to the other. Any other mods needed to acomplish this? Can anyone suggest a good source for low bars?
Thanks
Theo Marks

i swaped the high "american" bars (7" rise) on my 84 R100 to a set of low "euro" bars (1" rise) from a /5. i thought the same thing, but the way the bars pull back, the low bars (or at least mine) were quite a bit narrower. the extra slack in the cables was too much and i ended up switching all of them (top parts on the throttle and choke). find a good way to hide the front brake line, mine ran along the side of the headlight mount and looked bad...........

R100rs

I, too, have recently switched high to low bars on my 77 RS. She had what I believe were K75 bars that had about 3-4 inches of rise and some "push back". I put on some stock original bars. I must say, they are WAY cool. I like the lower and narrower position much better. The previous owner had put the other bars on there. NOW, I am having trouble with cable routing like you guys. I adjusted the brakes so they wouldn't stop when turning the bar L. Now I am working on getting the throttle cables to act right. They aren't getting hung up under the tank, but I can't figure where to route them coming out of the grip. In the process of adjusting the cables and putting more slack, I screwed up my carb balance. I have a twinmax, but I am such a rookie that I can't get it perfect. I thought I had everything fixed, but after the old girl got warmed up, things started revving when they weren't supposed to. I guess I just have to keep playing with it.

MG

BMW bars are not the same diameter as "oriental" bars, so you need to get Magura or BMW stuff. IBMWR classifieds will have some, if not now, soon.

22 mm vs 7/8", don't try jamming the controls on a 7/8" bar no matter how much they seem like they might go on, i tried this with a lot of grease and swearing and almost broke the castings ($$$)..............

Back