• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

r90/6 side/center stand issues

S

stewartr

I bought an r90/6 about a year ago and haven't had enough time to work through all of the problems until recently. I started looking at the side stand, and it looks like the previous owner modified something. I am somewhat familiar with airheads, but this one seems to lean way too far when on the side stand. I have crash bars as well, if that makes any difference with the mounting. I think I am also missing the support bracket that holds the side stand in the "up" position. The mounting point looks like someone has welded something in the past....

Could someone take a photo of their stock side stand and post it for me? I really appreciate the help. I just need a good photo to compare from. I have the clymer manual, but the photos are marginal at best.

My center stand is also a bit off. It wants to contact the oil pan when I put it up....I know I am missing the rubber bumpers, but where do I install new ones? If I remember correctly, my Dad's r65 had bumpers that attached to the oil pan. Is it the same for the r90?

Thanks for the help!

The side stand mount:

img_0310.jpg

The center stand bumper:

img_0311.jpg

And, the bike leaning on the side stand:

img_0312.jpg

Thanks for the photos! I'll see what's going on with mine. Maybe the center stand is from a different model...I don't know. I have found a few too many half-way fixes for my liking on this bike.

I may post a pic if I can't figure it out.

"The mounting point looks like someone has welded something in the past...."

Is it possible that there is a short person in the bike's history? If one uses short
aftermarket shocks and other tricks to lower a bike one then has to somehow
shorten the stand or alter its pivot angle. One might put back the stock shocks
to sell the bike and then it would lean too far.

I have seen some well worn bikes with perhaps never greased stand pivot broken
out of the frame and wallowed out.

I have seen some well worn bikes with perhaps never greased stand pivot with
the hole in the stand wallowed out.

Either of the last two situations will make the bike lean too far

Back