• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Post Your Airhead Fuel Economy Numbers

helmut_head

Hey. Not sure if this is normal, but for my first two tanks after my 1983 R80RT rebuild, I have averaged 49.6 mpg. Can anyone comment if this is OK?

Thanks!

:banghead

HH

Hmmm...seems a little high. I've heard that after rebuilds, the mixture should be slightly rich in order to keep the temperature down in the combustion chamber. That might be a bunch of hooey...

Kurrt

really bad ... the 1982 R100RT is getting about 34 mpg right now. The R100RT is expected to be the least fuel efficient of all the airhead models but I think that this is still a little too low. I suspect it is because I have about 90k miles and am in need of top end work and now I strongly suspect that my timing chain is stretched. and I accelerate real hard.

R65LS has been getting anywhere from 43 MPG (US) to as high as 50 MPG, depending on how loaded down and how much time I spend with it at 70+ MPH. Usually it is right around 46. Haven't had my R100/7 on the road for long and it is in need of speedometer work, so no data for that at this time.

My R80 ST averages 38 mpg overall. Best I ever got was 47 mpg. Low is 33 mpg on particularly bad SoCal city riding.

During a 62 mile daily one way freeway commute, 46 to 49 MPG...I ain't askeered about running too lean...it's happy...I'm happy...and I'm running 70 MPH...'78 R100/7 with an RT fairing & bags...

Last edited:
92 R100 GS........45 to 49mpg..........depending on the road surface (dirt, sand, pavement, etc) how hard I ride and the fuel I use.

Hey. Not sure if this is normal, but for my first two tanks after my 1983 R80RT rebuild, I have averaged 49.6 mpg. Can anyone comment if this is OK?

Thanks!

:banghead

HH

Pretty close to my 86 R80RT when I am riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway or other roads where the speed limit is 55 or less. It may vary 3-4 MPG because a slight difference in the fill level can make a big difference due to the small capacity.

the last time I got over 40+ mpg was when my coil cracked

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

the bike was on a trailer, then the mpg was great like over 100 mpg

I get 46-50 mpg on a 86 r80rt. with 26500 miles on it.

really ??? I am not doubting you, but I have an 85 r80rt and have never gotten over 40+
of course many variables........load, riding style.....riders weight..........city or country.........amount of ethanol.....condition of carb needles

32 to 35 MPG

1974 R75/6 about 60,000 miles on engine - get 32 to 35 mpg.

Have a Hannigan fairing might affect my MPG.

How many people are running full fairings??

What kind of gas mileage are you getting?

40 mpg

R100/7 with Luftmeister fairing and Wixom bags...pretty much get 40 around town and it bumps up a bit whenever I'm on the road for touring. I'm heavier loaded when touring, but because of the steadier speeds, I get another 2-4 mpg.

mileage

1981 R100RS Average 42 MPG. High as 49 when going a long ways at only 60MPH

Holds steady in the low 40's until running nortrh of 90 MPH.

Running hard over 100+ dips to 35-37 MPG.

Only has the 85MPH speedo, but the quartz clock is dead on. Mile markers going bye at 32 seconds on the $.

My 1993 K1100RS gets a solid 42 round town, 44-45 when just cruising around with some free way thrown in. I got 49 on one tank last month riding out to VA to meet some folks.

Back