• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"fix" vs. "upgrade"

ultracyclist

I am taking delivery of my AH this weekend. This is my first AH.

I already have a couple of ideas on things that I would like to improve.
For example, shocks- BMW vs. Hagon, Olin, etc. (note: the current shocks are OK, but I am thinking ahead)

At the risk of starting a range war, how many of you dedicated AH owners will "upgrade" for the fix rather than fix with a "suitable" replacement?

Best, and ride safe.

My airhead went the upgrade route. The upgrades result in diminished future "classic" valuation. It doesn't matter, because even if it were an unspoiled 77 RS it would never be worth what I have into it. All it is good for is riding, and for that it is excellent.

:p

I "upgraded" mine from "barely ridden" (22K in the first 22 years) to "barely stationary" (140K in the next 10 years). Seems to work much better now! :lol

Other than that, not much in the way of upgrades, lots of replacements though, which might have included some unintended upgrades....

RM

The bike has a not stock paint scheme, Powder coated wheels with polished rim (I even filed down the mold seams!) , lots of poweder coated bits and polished bits, Corbin seat, K75S bars, billit top triple clamp, 400W alternator, custom mirror mounts with Rizoma mirrors, Wilber shocks, Custom light bar with PIAA 910s, Speigler brake disks with ss brake lines, extra accessory outlet. I had a jet-hot coated (titanium gray) Epco pea shooters on it, but now it runs with black chrome Luftmiester 2-into-1 pipe.
If I do say so myself, it is a thing of beauty. I try to keep it clean, but this is Oregon and the reason I wanted the RS was for the weather protection. I have posted several threads about the bike. It ended up costing about the same as a spiffy K12LT

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=6528&highlight=batcycle

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=24874&highlight=r100rs+mirrors

I'll suggest that some upgrades, an led tail light for example are not things that will ruin the outward look of your machine.

I have kept most of my "take off" parts in the attic rather than dispose of them. I should think that by doing so you would keep your options open.

Someday I will have to clue my wife in on the box of take off/spares so that when she disposes of the bike they could go with it.

I own this bike for the duration.

I have fixed, built, rebuilt, upgraded, refurbished, reworked restored, replaced, machined, etc. for my bikes and others for 25 years. :laugh

unless a bike is hyper-collectible, i would ALWAYS go for "upgrade" over "fix/replace". usually costs about the same as OEM, and gives far superior performance.
the only airheads (currently) that fit the bill of h-c would be toaster-tanks and R90S models that are still basically stock. none of the newer ones really are, and after 15+ years of being out of production, things are not likely to change all that much in the collectibility status.

Unless you are picking up some "concours" gem, I would go upgrade. Just as long as whatever it is doesn't detract from the bikes longevity, such as some "engine performance" mods. These bikes are great all around rides, so why not improve that experience while replacing worn out pieces?

Upgrades are the way to go, especially for the electrical/ignition systems. Lets be realistic, at best these bikes have many components that were not just manufactured 20-30-40 years ago, some of these systems are 60s design and technology. You'll get other opinions of course, but the simple truth is that the alternator and points ignition system are well past the best before date. Like the LED lights already mentioned, electronic ignition (now electronic advance as well), and brushless alternators are upgrades that don't change the outward appearance, but improve performance and durability. My bike has upgraded charging, bean can, starter, lights, etc. All looks stock from the outside, but 21st century internally. Those components are better now than what left Berlin, but the engine internals/trans/drive train remain perhaps better than what is made today. They don't build them like they used to can mean better or worse!!

The thing is, almost anything you'll replace could be a bit of an upgrade from stock at this point in time. Suspension is a biggie, as is anything electrical. Those are both things you can actually upgrade without breaking the bank.

My airhead went the upgrade route. The upgrades result in diminished future "classic" valuation. It doesn't matter, because even if it were an unspoiled 77 RS it would never be worth what I have into it. All it is good for is riding, and for that it is excellent.

:p

Plus 1 here. My 78RS has many upgrades. None cosmetic, but all added to the riding enjoyment such as easier starting, better brakes, etc.

I am taking delivery of my AH this weekend. This is my first AH.

I already have a couple of ideas on things that I would like to improve.
For example, shocks- BMW vs. Hagon, Olin, etc. (note: the current shocks are OK, but I am thinking ahead)

At the risk of starting a range war, how many of you dedicated AH owners will "upgrade" for the fix rather than fix with a "suitable" replacement?

Best, and ride safe.

AH? At first I thought you were talking about Austin Healey's not Airheads and because you don't say what year or model bike you own, it's kinda hard to give sound advice. But....

If you're buying a /5, I'd say that, considering the approaching cult status of those bikes, keep it as stock in appearance as possible and keep every screw and part you remove from the bike. Same thing with an R90S or a truly pristine /6. Unless theres actually something wrong with something, those bikes run and perform just fine the way God and the Germans designed em.

OTOH, having built my old crock from pieces and parts of maybe six or seven different bikes, I do what I please and enjoy my bike. The list of swapped and modified parts is pretty long, as is the number of after-market substitutions but OTOH, thats what I intended from the beginning.

Lets face it... All this is, is an expensive hobby and in the end no ones gonna care but you.

Have fun, be happy and ride safe!

R75/5 with a /6 tranny.

The R75/5 engine is about as bullet proof as anything BMW has ever made. I really like the big tank, and with the mileage that bike can deliver, it can be a touring beast. Your bike sounds like a good candidate to be massaged into fast (sic) friend and highly regarded rider.

Have fun and post pictures so we can share in your fun.

Bob M

I test rode the bike for about 40 minutes, and I was giggling.
Much more fun than my former oilheads. By the way, my insurance agent told me that my insurance premium will drop a bit, too.

I have a list of farkels and upgrades that I am looking at, but the current owner (a nationally recognized wrench) has told me to ride the bike for awhile and enjoy the simplicity.

I promise to post pic's later.

"What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works."

These are words of wisdom to live by.

Simpla-Fi.....

Hey, James!

After the 6 hour ride home last night in 40 degree temps and rain with occasional windgusts of 40+mph, I must share with you that an alternator upgrade in order to support heated gear is high on my list.

High quality touring gloves is high on the list, too.

H

I will join the group of up-grade when replacing or repairing.

I also agree with that point that if this is new to you ( airheads) and it runs good, ride it for a while and see what changes you would like.

on the outside to the untrained eye, my bike still looks like a stock 1985 R80RT. thats as far as it goes.
Anything that has been repaired or replaced is looked at as what is current technology. will it make it more reliable, will it make it a more enjoyable ride.

But sometimes budget does not allow. I would have loved to put in a big alternator, but all I could afford at the time was new brushes and a higher rated volt regulator.
the big alt is high on my list. just read of a guy that cut his drum to put in bigger shoes in the back for better stoping, hmmmmmm

side note:
at a party last night, a guy rode up on a 2007 ural , . nice big easy acess alternator. whish bmw had done that.

Back