• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200st

Less fairing, less weight, (more streamlined) more sport touring versus touring.

Q: How are the R1200ST and the R1200RT different from Oilheads?

A: They are Hexheads, with an entirely different configuration to the heads, with other internal engine differences. Also, running gear and electrics are quite different too.

Solution: Post Hexhead questions in Hexheads, and OIlhead questions in Oilheads.

As to your original question- think of the R12RT as being an updated version of the R11xxRT, and the R12ST as an updated version of the R11xxRS. (sort of).

I moved the thread over to Hexheads so you should get more attention.

There are finer points of distinction, but basically the RT is the full fairing touring model and the ST is a half fairing sport touring model. The engines are the same and they take the same luggage. The RT is a sit up straight bike and the ST you lean forward some. The RT has cruise control, the ST does not (I put a throttle lock on mine).

Other differences include the availability of a motorized windshield, built in audio and heated seats on the RT. I believe the RT has 10-amp accessory sockets, while the ST has a 5-amp socket.

ST has funky looking headlight when viewed from head on to the bike, RT looks more "normal" That said, all reports indicate that the the output from the ST's headlights are outstanding.

Agreed. I have an ST with normal H4 bulbs and the light output is better than the HID's I had on my R11S. I'm going to change to HID's soon, I hope the difference is as drastic as when I changed the R11S from conventional bulbs to HID.

Back