• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

600 mile service 2011 R1200RT......WOW

They didn't pull the valve covers, check the valve clearance, or check the torque on the heads. They no longer do that on 2010 and up on the 600 mile.

Roughly the same $$ as the 6k on my '10

They didn't pull the valve covers, check the valve clearance, or check the torque on the heads. They no longer do that on 2010 and up on the 600 mile.

The OP paid roughly what I paid for my 6k service this past week, though it did involve TB and valve check (didn't need adjustment). This is the first service I've paid for since I got the bike and even though I'm still choking a bit I do have to give them credit ... seems like the went through the bike very thoroughly, even found a missing screw from somewhere and replaced it.

It does seem odd to build touring bikes (inferring lots of miles) then charge so much so often to run them ... oh well.

I took my bike in for new tires. I called to ask about tires to go to the Reg Pridmore CLASS. I was given a price breakdown of $255 for the tires, vs. ordering them from Reg for $245. Then I go in & the price becomes $295... It was a different guy than I spoke with on the phone. He ended up lowering the price to $265, but made me feel like I was busting his balls over it... I didn't have a whole lot of choice at that point... Total was $414 for 2 new tires...

Then I go to pick it up & he informs me that my rear pads were very thin, so they put new ones on... Since I had already ordered CL pads F&R from Beemer Boneyard, I was less than happy. I asked how much the pads were & he said $105... I was getting less happy by the minute... The CL ones were $35. He offered to discount them 25%... uh, no. No call to me to authorize...

He was going to swap my old ones back in, but it was closing time & the tech was gone. After much hemming & hawing, he asked if I would bring them back next time I was in town... Yep, no problem. Maybe I should charge shop rate back to them for my time...

I think a tire changer is in my future next time I need tires. 2 changes & I can pay for half... My buddy will go the other half...

The OP might want to take the "labour cost" to perform the service with BMW NA. If they are "gouging" at the 600 mile service I shudder to think what they do at the other services.

Good luck.

PS: I was quoted 280 (parts and labour) for my 20 K (30000 KM) service.

600 Mile Service on a 2009 R1200R = $269.69

I realize it is a different model, but I just looked up my invoice for my 600 mile service on my 2009 R1200R, which was performed in Feb 2010. Here is the breakdown for the charges:

Labor - $125

Parts:

2 Gasket - $13.49
2 Gasket - $53.96
4 qts. 20/50 Oil - $31.96
1 Gear Oil - $8.75
1 Oil Filter - $20.33

Total Parts -$128.28

Shop suupplies - $6.25

Tax - $9.96

Total - $269.69

Any chance anyone has a breakdown of their 600 mile service that has a 2010 or 2011 R1200RT? That would help when I go talk to the dealer.

Is this dealer in Tigard?

During the rally at Redmond, I had a problem I had to have them resolve for me. Like you, I still feel they overcharged and they certainly did not do everything they were supposed to do and didn't get the bike back to me when they said they would - leaving me no choice but to take the bike at 9:30 at night the night before I headed out. Had I been "local" enough to take the time - I can assure you a visit to the shop owner would have been in order.

I chalked it up to experience. However, where I realize they may be the only "local" dealer to you, I'd be on their front porch wantig an explaination of the charges and a partial refund.

There are dealers up in that area that may be a better choice - IMO. You have a great bike - a dealer a couple hundred miles from you would give you a chance to get a ride in to visit them. My dealer is 600 miles from me in Tucson - works for me....

Thanks Steve. Yes, the dealer is in Tigard. The same people own the dealership which is the next closest in Eugene.

~$232.00

Here in KY at Louisville BMW.

The mechanic and I were joking about how much cheaper thia was than on my 08 GSA.

Be glad they didn't do valves!

Well, I know how you can save $290 right off the bat :)

The gear oil change is not usually done till the 12,000 mile check. It is not on the BMW check list for the 600 mile. Having said that my dealer also changed mine at 600 miles. We discussed this.

Jack

Jarhead,

I know you have a 2011 RT, do you have a breakdown of the charges for your 600 mile service from the dealer?

Any chance anyone has a breakdown of their 600 mile service that has a 2010 or 2011 R1200RT? That would help when I go talk to the dealer.

My 2010 R1200RT 600 mile service, 4/12/11:

11427673541 oil filter, $14
075104122040 BMW engine oil (5 qt), $42.50
07510394082 BMW synth gear oil, $24.59
07119963252 gasket (2), $1.14
shop supplies, $10
2.75 hours labor, $233.75
tax, $29.23
==============================
$355.21

My 2010 R1200RT 600 Service

Service done on 4/6/2010.
1.8 hr labor @ $88 - $158.40
Oil filter - $24.40
Drain plug seal - $1.14
Engine oil 4 @ $8.89 - $35.56
Parts cleaner - $5.95
Environmental fee - $10.00
State sales tax (Texas) - $4.53

Total $239.98

They said they forgot to charge me for the FD oil change when I took the bike in for the 6,000 mile service.

Hope this helps.
Tsp
My blog: http://www.swriding.blogspot.com

Last edited:
Thanks Jkbales and tsperez

Jk, so you are about $70.00 cheaper, give or take a couple bucks since we don't have sales tax in Oregon.

ts, if you add the FD service, subtract the sales tax, you are way cheaper still compared to mine.

BMW Service

For the reasons you state I decided to try an independent BMW mechanic for my recent 12,000 service on my 2010 R1200RT (although compared to several people here including the OP my service is way cheaper). In addition, I trust a guy that 1) is a hard core BMW rider and 2) a guy trying to please customers instead of simply pushing out bikes as fast as they can.

This guy did a few things that I liked when I was at his shop for just a visit with friends. First of all he noticed that my new rear tire was mounted on backwards! That was done by a local Honda shop since my dealer is about 290 miles away. He also said it was not balanced properly and I had noticed that but figured it was the bike running rough during break in. And finally, when he mounted my tire back on the bike he torqued it! Consequently, I told myself that I was going to try this guy out next time I needed service.

My 12,000 mile service on 4/22/2011:
Labor for 12K service 3.5 @ $65 - $227.50
Labor mount / balance tire .5 @ $65 - $32.50
Tire disposal fee - $5.00
Part - tire Metz Roadtec Z8 (front) - $149.99
Part - Oil filter - $19.15
Part - Alu seal - $0.75
Part - Air filter - $24.40
Part - gasket ring - $0.62
Part - gasket ring - $0.62
Part - Tran oil 5 @ $4 - $20.00
Part - Engine oil Mobile 1 4 @ $9.25 - $37.00

Texas sales tax - $20.83
Grand total - $538.36

He gave me a maint schedule including the measured valve clearances. He checked off the following: engine oil & filter, rear drive oil, transmission oil, valve clearance check, air filter change, engine sync, and reset the computer stuff. There was also a bunch of "check" things on the list.

If I subtract the tire fees I paid about $350 for the 12,000 mile service but keep in mind that I used Mobile 1 oil instead of the BMW stuff this time around. My first synthetic oil change by the way.

HTH,
tsp
2010 R1200RT
www.swriding.blogspot.com

PS: Just found my dealer provided 6,000 mile service. Total cost was $311 but it was only an engine oil change and no valve check. Labor was 2.7 hrs at $88 for a total labor cost of $237.60. I left feeling that I paid $311 for an engine oil change.

Last edited:
I realize it is a different model, but I just looked up my invoice for my 600 mile service on my 2009 R1200R, which was performed in Feb 2010. Here is the breakdown for the charges:

Labor - $125

Parts:

2 Gasket - $13.49
2 Gasket - $53.96
4 qts. 20/50 Oil - $31.96
1 Gear Oil - $8.75
1 Oil Filter - $20.33

Total Parts -$128.28

Shop suupplies - $6.25

Tax - $9.96

Total - $269.69

What are those gaskets for? There would be a crush washer for the motor oil and transmission and maybe an o ring for the FD. The valve cover gaskets can last thousands of miles.

I Lied Kctay...

It was $220.30

breakdown as follows:

07119963132 Gasket ring qty-1 $ .55
07510037412 15W40 oil qty-4 $ 29.16 (Ouch)
07510394082 BMW Synth 75w90 qty-1 $ 24.59 (Ouch)
11427673541 Oil filter qty-1 $ 14.00
Labor $76.00/hr qty-2 $ 152

Labor must be the deal here in KY!

WOW - that's quite a variance across the country from what I see above.

Last edited:
I'll be doing my own maintenance from now on, except valve lash and tires. I've always done my own work, within my capabilities. I get looks from the shop guys when I say something like "15000 mile check, without fluid change". One service writer told me they didn't have a separate price w/o fluids so I'd have to pay for it even though I just changed them! They must make a bundle off the oil changes.

I took my BMW to the dealer for the 600 mile mainly to have it on record. My dealer is 100 miles away but they will haul my bike both ways free and I want to have a good relationship with them.

I don't object to changing gear oil at 600 if for no other reason than to flush out any metal chips. I don't think their price for gear oil is out of line with any high quality synthetics.

$8.50 a quart for bulk oil? I'll say they make a bundle. And apparently 1 hour rate to change it!!! lol

I as well will be doing my service from now on, as I had initially planned. It just takes a bit more time with one Beemer, and two Victory's.

For those of you on the fence about doing your own service, I'd just like to offer the following:

Before I bought my 08 RT new, I had exactly 1 screwdriver and hammer laying around the house somewhere. I had never changed the oil on anything nor done any type of service for any car or bike. I didn't know the first thing about mechanical work and never grew up learning anything about mechanical work.

But, I can follow directions like "Remove this bolt" and "Put oil in this hole", which is basically as detailed as the DIY have here on this awesome forum. I bought some tools and gave it a shot. It was much easier than I thought it would be. I had a couple of hiccups along the way but questions were quickly answered here by the mechanics.

You hear alot of people say, "If I can do it, anyone can do it." THen you later find out that they had some other background that made it easy for them. I'm not that guy. I had to literally learn that there were different drive size ratchets and "torx socket" is not the same as "torque wrench".

Bottom line, if anyone is interested in saving the labor portion of their bills, take a look at the DIY posts here by Luis and the others. They are phenomenal. I've used them to do the 6k and 12k service and help others do theirs.

My next project is to try to change my own tires. I ordered some that should be here in a few days. I'm surprised there isn't a DIY on that one.:scratch

Back