• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

95 K75s Belly Pan Crack

S

SLBAUER

K75s fell over enough on left side to crack belly pan in 2 different places. Can these be repaired, if so how? If not, do I need to plan on buying the left side and repainting?

Standard fiberglass repair techniques with reinforcing on inside plus light bondo and repainting.

:dance:dance:dance

I gave two of those wretched belly pans away. Fashion - bah humbug. I like ease of changing oil.

I gave two of those wretched belly pans away. Fashion - bah humbug. I like ease of changing oil.
mine is belly pan-less also, but now the bike is self conscious about it's belly hanging out for everyone to see.

Standard fiberglass repair techniques with reinforcing on inside plus light bondo and repainting.

Sound good to me. I have also considered making a cut across the bottom section of the pan where the break is and removing that piece from the remainder of the pan.

Thanks for the tip.

I have also considered removing the belly pan all together. More motor exposed and less plastic works for me.

Belly Pan Gone

I also have taken off the belly pan on my 87 K75S. I believe one wants to get as much unimpeded airflow over the motor as possible. In Florida where I'm situated it gets pretty hot in the summer. I also thought that mine trapped a lot of crud. I also share Paul's attitude of just let me drain the oil with minimal dis-assembly. And finally I like the look of the bike better without the belly pan. In fact the K75S has more fairing on it than any other bike I have owned. That said I recognize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I was really looking for a naked bike when I was in the market for a K75 but the deal on this "S" was too good to pass up.

And as far as repair, as Lee said, it's a standard fiberglass system and straightforward to fix almost any kind of fracture if you want to retain the pan.

Trim that belly fat without Relacor!

To be accurate, I believe the belly pan and fairing are actually made of BMW's Fibron, which is a composite of fiberglass and ground marble. The stuff is tough and durable---much moreso than regular fiberglass.

I suppose regular methods should suffice in getting it ship-shape again, though---or you could do what I did (might help if the damage was to the front uppper section which I regard as ugly to begin with):
DSC_0913.jpg

DSC_0897.jpg

Back