• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sidecar Training at the 2011 Rally

Mark, I've volunteered in the past, but I won't be there this year.

There are a number of sidecar/trike courses offered in Virginia, and the guy in the know is Cundiff Simmons. He tows a trailer that transports the novice rigs and then serves as a classroom.

I suggest you ask Cundiff about offering an "advanced" S/TEP at the rally for experienced operators. Bystanders should be encouraged.

Or, perhaps Cundiff could be convinced to do a seminar. I'm going to forward your message to Cundiff.

c.h.simmons@juno.com

Thanks for the contact info Dave.
Mark

Side note: Have Dr. Ray Ochs,MSF, I assume will be at the rally, give a 3-BRC course presentation for those with 3-Wheels and trikes...and a sidecar course by the S/TEP organization..now that would be interesting!

There is only one sidecar training program...

http://www.esc.org/step_national_schedule.php

As of yet MSF does not provide sidecar training..3-wheel BRC...yes..but not sidecar

In lieu of "certified training" why not have a talk or two over the course of the rally?
A place for sidecarists to gather and compare notes/rigs/technique etc.
Perhaps even answer a few questions of the newly ordained or overtly curious.
Schedule a ride, give rides, judged show, play games... Waddeva...

Minimally make it known that hacks are a part of the MOA and the rally experience. :thumb

S/TEP really needs a full weekend, is there that much time available at the rally? What about a one-day advanced course more along the lines of the MSF's ERC class?

For sure one thing that would be beneficial would be an opportunity for someone considering sidecaring to take a ride in a rig as a passenger. Part of the reason I'm into sidecaring is because my wife was offered a ride in one at the Missoula rally in 1998. We rode two-up to the rally on our RS but the sidecar ride planted the idea that MC travel was still possible and fun when swinging a leg over wasn't. 12 years later we acquired a sidecar and enjoy the heck out of traveling on it. I know liability would be an issue but that may be an area where BMWMOA could assist.

Best,

GTRider

Why does it have to be 'training'? :scratch
Why not a seminar/talk/show to introduce folks to the benefits etc.

(1) The original post was titled "...Training at..?"
(2) Lets put words(Seminar/Talk/Show) into action by actual training
(3) Why not have a sidecar training class as well as the already sked MSF's ERC

After reading the quoted posts... See where I was going with this, what I meant? Time Constraints.

It would take 3 days for 'Training' as GTRider noted as well.
Now, I'm not speaking for anyone but who would spend 3 out of a 4 day rally in classes?
And even if 10-15 people did... Would a class at the MOA Rally be recognized for an endorsement in another State?
I don't know. I'm just putting it out there.

Regardless... Just work w/ what time there is...
Hence my comment: "Why does it have to be 'training'?"
Why not an Intro to side caring type format?
Perhaps given by like minded enthusiasts/owners of rigs.
Those who like what they see/learn will continue the pursuit in their own respective state.

After reading the quoted posts... See where I was going with this, what I meant? Time Constraints.

It would take 3 days for 'Training' as GTRider noted as well.
Now, I'm not speaking for anyone but who would spend 3 out of a 4 day rally in classes?
And even if 10-15 people did... Would a class at the MOA Rally be recognized for an endorsement in another State?
I don't know. I'm just putting it out there.

Regardless... Just work w/ what time there is...
Hence my comment: "Why does it have to be 'training'?"
Why not an Intro to side caring type format?
Perhaps given by like minded enthusiasts/owners of rigs.
Those who like what they see/learn will continue the pursuit in their own respective state.

Good point. If there are any sidecar enthusiasts that are interested in organizing a seminar on the issue, please contact the seminar chair or let me know.

I would think that the sidecar riders that are attending the Rally would be interested in the advanced course that is offered under the S/TEP 8 hr. course.

http://www.esc.org/motorcycle.php
...and answering questions, giving rides, talking with each other and a bit of 'how to' on setup/wrenching/tweaking the rig(s).
Oh, and also having some fun and camaraderie... :ha

Regardless, anyone willing can pretty much set up a lesson plan/discussion with a yellow book and PM Dave's OK.

RPU and Sidecar Driver Education and Training

Pretty good thread: As the Rider Education Coordinator, I would welcome the opportunity to offer sidecar training and/or education at the Blomsburg Rally. I confess that this opportunity simply did not occur to me, and while it's late in the game, I'm certainly open to formal on-machine training and/or classroom education for hackers.

At this point, RPU would very likely NOt consider the MSF's 3BRC, since it specifically excludes sidecars, and is designed exclusively for trikes of both configurations. S/TEP would be wonderful, if the logistics could be worked out in time - could be problematic, but I'll look into it this week, once the desk is cleared a bit.

We would certainly be very open to using David L. Hough's material for a workshop; I would need a good facilitator, someone S/TEP qualifed, or a S/TEP student would be a good choice. It would be a gret opportunity to promote the sale of Hough's sidecar work, a very good treatise on the subject, and to utilize theo work of the one of our valuable assets, premier Foundation supporter David Hough.

Input solited directly to me at: roger@rogerwiles.com

As an aside, we all have our oprinions and positions about the various rider education and training firms, organizations, curricula et al, and that's fine. Readers may note that RPU embraces a Big Tent approach, welcoming ALL sound course- and curricula-providers to the Bloomsburg Rally and all RPU events. You may note that in addition to the MSF's BRC-2 and ARC, we will be offering Total Control and Stayin' Safe LLC. We hoped to add another providerer, who withdrew at the last moment.

And, we DID approach TEAM Oregon prior to the Redmond Rally and asked if they would like to present their intermediate and/or advance curriculum in Redmond; TEAM Oregon declined, citing a lack of resourses.

So, those with emotionally-driven opinions about the subect may well continue to shape the facts to jibe with their positons, but those with open minds about the matter may see a different picture. From my point of view, our activities should be about the RIDER, not a competition or dogfight about the 'best' curricula or provider - or the 'worst.' My. $.02

Sling and arrows expected...

Roger Wiles Rider Education Coordinator

Lacking any opportunity for formalized training, there certainly isn't any reason we can't gather together on our own, discuss techniques, and even find someplace to practice under each other's watchful glare.

I mean gaze :)

--chiba

Lacking any opportunity for formalized training, there certainly isn't any reason we can't gather together on our own, discuss techniques, and even find someplace to practice under each other's watchful glare.

I mean gaze :)

--chiba

Eggsackery! :thumb

I'm all for training. If that is not possible, a 'gathering' would be fun. Maybe someone who knows the site could suggest a time/place.
I rarely get to talk to hackers in person as we are so few.
Would love to meet you all!

I'm all for training. If that is not possible, a 'gathering' would be fun. Maybe someone who knows the site could suggest a time/place.
I rarely get to talk to hackers in person as we are so few.
Would love to meet you all!

I rode around one eve the last rally and put notes on the tanks of all the R1200C's that I saw to meet at the beer tent one eve at a certain time.
From there we got rides together etc.
In the future ask that an area be set aside for such a request...
Training/talks... etc.

So... Did the heat put a damper on these festivities? :D
Anything come of 'training'?

Pretty good thread: As the Rider Education Coordinator, I would welcome the opportunity to offer sidecar training and/or education at the Blomsburg Rally. I confess that this opportunity simply did not occur to me, and while it's late in the game, I'm certainly open to formal on-machine training and/or classroom education for hackers.

At this point, RPU would very likely NOt consider the MSF's 3BRC, since it specifically excludes sidecars, and is designed exclusively for trikes of both configurations. S/TEP would be wonderful, if the logistics could be worked out in time - could be problematic, but I'll look into it this week, once the desk is cleared a bit.

We would certainly be very open to using David L. Hough's material for a workshop; I would need a good facilitator, someone S/TEP qualifed, or a S/TEP student would be a good choice. It would be a gret opportunity to promote the sale of Hough's sidecar work, a very good treatise on the subject, and to utilize theo work of the one of our valuable assets, premier Foundation supporter David Hough.

Input solited directly to me at: roger@rogerwiles.com

As an aside, we all have our oprinions and positions about the various rider education and training firms, organizations, curricula et al, and that's fine. Readers may note that RPU embraces a Big Tent approach, welcoming ALL sound course- and curricula-providers to the Bloomsburg Rally and all RPU events. You may note that in addition to the MSF's BRC-2 and ARC, we will be offering Total Control and Stayin' Safe LLC. We hoped to add another providerer, who withdrew at the last moment.

And, we DID approach TEAM Oregon prior to the Redmond Rally and asked if they would like to present their intermediate and/or advance curriculum in Redmond; TEAM Oregon declined, citing a lack of resourses.

So, those with emotionally-driven opinions about the subect may well continue to shape the facts to jibe with their positons, but those with open minds about the matter may see a different picture. From my point of view, our activities should be about the RIDER, not a competition or dogfight about the 'best' curricula or provider - or the 'worst.' My. $.02

Sling and arrows expected...

Roger Wiles Rider Education Coordinator

I would need a good facilitator, someone S/TEP qualifed, or a S/TEP student would be a good choice.

I did not see any mention of sidecar training at the rally - I am guessing no-one volunteered, or put significant effort into finding an enthusiast willing to volunteer, to put the time and effort into making it happen. As Ian Schmeisser would tell anyone were he not so modest, it does take a tremendous amount of time and usually a real interest, to develop and run events for specific types of bikes at a rally.

Well..here's an opportunity to get the ball rolling for the next Rally as far as getting sidecar training on the sked..hint:deal

Well..here's an opportunity to get the ball rolling for the next Rally as far as getting sidecar training on the sked..hint:deal

That's why I :stick it...

I would think anyone w/ David L. Hough's Yellow book and an awesome set of cones could get something going a few hours each day...

I think I should change this thread title to "Sidecar Training at any future Rally". Mr. Hugh where are you? I believe you have the connections with the S/TEP org.. Time to get them on board.

Mr. R. Wiles here you go here's a chance to put a feather in your cap and also get a sidecar training program going at the next rally in Missouri as well.

From the Missouri Safety Program site:

Trike and Sidecar Courses
The Missouri Motorcycle Safety Program is currently seeking a sponsor for three-wheeled motorcycle training. An unobstructed 200ÔÇÖ x 300ÔÇÖ riding area is required. Sponsors must also provide a minimum of three rigs for student use. Anyone interested in opening a three-wheeled training course should contact the MMSP state coordinator at 660.543.8005.

One of the folks who really wants it ought to step forward and take the initiative to make it happen. That is how much of the good of this organization (including these very forums) got started - plus volunteering, while often time-consuming, is fun and rewarding.

One of the folks who really wants it ought to step forward and take the initiative to make it happen. That is how much of the good of this organization (including these very forums) got started - plus volunteering, while often time-consuming, is fun and rewarding.

I think the position should be determined by Mr. Wiles..I believe he is the MOA Safety Education Coordinator..or by the MOA BOD..

Back