• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

About a month later at the mini rally, standing at the main campfire; yea, there stood Frank and Greg. Time to put the plan in action. Did the usual introductions, added just enough info to get the conversation going, then eased out and let it marinate. About an hour later, they had partnered up and I could see they were having a serious 1 on 1 interaction. Fun to watch from a distance. While that confab, time to move on to my own bonfire visitation.

Walked around the bon fire and met up with John Lyle from Lena, Mississippi. Probably one of the finest gentleman BMW riders ever. Moa #22,373 his mileage was 22,427. # 22 on the list. John ride with some other old timers or rode solo. Didn’t matter; he rode. Looking at John, he wore a Belstaff suit. Old school cool. His was tattered, torn, patched, taped; way past being broken in. Good visit with John; If I remember correctly it was about his recent solo summer ride to Alaska. I looked over at his BMW ride; a mid 80’s R80/7 . I think the odometer showed 200,000+. Don’t believe that Barry, the odometer broke at least 2 years ago. His bike was like his riding suit, tattered, torn, patched, taped, etc. John and I said our good nights and we rambled off to bed in our tents. I was whipped.

Got stretched out and drifted off to LaLa land. Barry! WakeUp! I gotta talk to Ya. Can’t it wait till in the morning. No, Now! Greg, it’s 1 o’clock. This is supposed to be a rally, bunch of wimps. Get up, I gotta talk. OK. Barry, I’m headed south to Mexico this winter with Frank. Wow, I wonder how that happened? I’m clueless. Yea, I’m going with Frank and his buddies, in a couple of weeks. I gotta get ready. Another 30 minutes of banter, then back in the tent and completely dead to the world.

Got up late; missed the early bird breakfast ride. Loaded up the bike and headed out, stopped in at one of the local breakfast diners. A couple of BMW bikes out side. I wasn’t the only slow starter. Kinda sad, end of the official BMW riding season. Riding home, spring riding coming soon. Greg’s hooked up for his ride. Got some interesting stories coming up from him; no doubt.

1986 High Mileage Winners

Jeff Brody #31335 was the men’s winner with 45,245 miles and Fran Crane#4833 was the women’s winner with 34,562 miles. Looks like Jeff did it on a R65 and Fran on a ‘85 K100RS. Hum might have been the last time a Airhead twin won the event.?

1986/87 Average Gas Price

Just for fun; checked on the gas prices what us regular riders and high mileage riders were paying then. 86 to 90 cents a gallon. Wow! Boy has time changed.

Back to Greg in Mexico

After the rally; hadn’t heard anything from Greg. Talked to a couple of his Buds, no one had heard from him. I thought Mexico had swallowed him up. Gone, but not forgotten. The early Spring rally season was starting up, maybe he’ll turn up. :dunno

Back to Bikes-The R100R

I decided some time back, I ride solo on the bike. No more 2-up. I’m not physically or mentally fit for that. Right now with full concentration; I’m fit to ride me 1-up. Solo Mano. Me, myself, and I. Which leads me to the R100R. 9726DFD5-6F6B-4C91-83D5-75BADF7E6BCE.jpeg

I like to camp out at local rallies. Tent, sleeping bag, chair, so on, so forth, yadayadayada. I hate stappong stuff over the back end of the saddle. To get to the tool box, battery, remove tank, u gotta Remove all that junk. I’m old the less to do the better. I was out in the shed, saw this little jewel.
49DEE00A-58E3-4A48-801F-A6914F52A74D.jpeg
Well, ain’t that something.

That go me to thinking. I got more junk for it some where. If I remember correctly. A box over here full of odds and ends; ah, yes. Here we go, found it. I can’t remember yesterday; I do better 25 years ago.

Back then I was looking for a GS. Started buying used pieces. Got the mounts somewhere.? Over here maybe.?
2E41F588-4351-4DF3-8C3B-3015CD480D6E.jpeg
Good deal, now to see if it fits the R. ?
6DAFF017-E2CB-46DE-9641-2A4BEC8A73B5.jpeg
Yes siree Bob. Good.

Gs-GSPD-ST

Back in the 90’s I wanted a GS or GSPD. I rode a lot of back roads in Arkansas. Every trip included some backroads that included some fairly rugged gravel roads. North central Arkansas including the Buffalo and White River area. I rode these areas on all my BMW street bikes. I got lucky and never dumped my bikes. Along the way I found these parts and bought them. I ended up buying a R80ST. That’s a whole nother story.
The thunder storms have moved thru so time to finish the job. I’m excited; OK, more than a little happy.

I was looking to add more rear rack, I think this is it. Take the seat off; tighten all the bolts, then done for the day on this.

Glad I spied the red solo seat, then snagged the rack and seat bar. I’m a cognitive mess; Joe Biden Syndrome don’t U know. Funny; but True and Sad.:laugh:(:hide

Looking on the net for a rear rack for this bike, no luck. Would find a rack, outa stock, not available. The pictures I saw of those racks, didn’t really look good. This bike is dated and kind of an odd duck. All three bars that rise over the rack are stout. Good for tie downs, moving the bike, picking the bike up. Time for a nap. Zzzzzzz

Back