• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Just a little old clutch job. :hungover

View attachment 79446
View attachment 79447

Vernon was short so he added some barbacks. He added parts from a Moto Guzzi. Kinda funny and sad. I got boxes of parts with this bike. One box was full of different handlebar mounts and barbacks that were specific to BMW. This can be a situation U deal with on a bike resurrection. The good, the bad, the ugly. Yeah, I copied that. :brow

Found the box of handlebar mounts. :thumb

84055BD5-A363-423F-9B06-D52D8C07286E.jpeg

I inherited the bike from a now passed on buddy of mine, ‘82 R100 standard. He had mounted Moto Guzzi handlebar mounts. He owned 100’s of bikes, Moto Guzzi’s was one brand he liked and owned; Eldorado’s and California’s. Why he used Guzzi mounts; ain’t got a clue. My buddy is rebuilding the carbs and has ordered throttle cables for a standard handle bar set up. I’ve got parts everywhere, digging around I found the box of BMW mounts.

I knew I had some other handlebar assemblies out in the garage; just too lazy to look. Then, remembered this assembly I had put together back in the spring. This will work on that bike and I get a windshield in the mix.
F4F27954-72B3-426A-B128-50709EBDD52E.jpeg

Philip Johnson-R100R Legends

View attachment 67064
Rode down to Daytona back in the mid 90's. Rode back with Philip Johnson on his Cool R100R Legend's bike. Nice guy, cool bike, excellent ride. Last I heard he and his wife had a Campground on the Blue Ridge, I guess their still there.:dunno

Got to ride with Philip on his ex Legends BMW Race Bike. Pretty Cool.

1960 Ford Thunderbird

F5EC32DF-EDF1-42C3-ACB7-4F6F579D2AF4.jpeg
106E563D-BDB0-42FE-8B22-16BF9A8D9179.jpeg

Cruising around Marion; I ran across this little Beauty. Well it ain’t little but it is beautiful. Yes, I remember these cars. This car had a 430ci Lincoln engine which was the original to the car. The era when cars had fins and rocket ship stylin. I was all of 7 years old.

Yep; back when Detroit was the king of cars. I remember growing up and when fall came around my Dad and I would stop by the big 3 car dealerships and check out the new cars on the lot. Dad when I grow up I want that car or that truck. Well son when you grow up you can buy any car you want; as long as it's American. Got it, Dad. :)

Back in the 60’s I rode a school bus to attend the county school. It covered a lot of area. That bus was up down a lot of gravel and back roads; paved country roads and regular highways. I knew where all the cool cars were parked and could call them by make and model. Most of the time I knew the owners personally. I would let them know I knew about their cars. Most just smiled and nodded in agreement. When you grew up out in the country on old farm roads you would do anything to entertain yourself. I like your ‘66 Caprise Classic, your F1 truck, your Falcon Futura. I usually knew the size engine, number of cylinders, transmission, etc. Example 289ci V8 271hp ‘66 Mustang GT. The good old days.

Got my ON’s yesterday. The cover pic fascinated me. Looking at it, it came to me. It reminded me of me. For 20 years I rode like Patrick. I rode my 50/5,90/6,K100RT, R1100RS all over the Ozarks, Ouachita’s, the Ridge, all up and down the Mississippi River Valley. All kinds of back roads, gravel roads, fire trails on street bikes. Good job my friend.

Street Bikes Off-road

My Buddy Greg Parish got me started riding back in the early 80’s. Greg grew up riding street and dirt bikes. We were riding on a regular basis. We were both riding R50/5. Greg was the ride leader, it didn’t take long and Greg was off the hiway and headed down gravel roads, fire roads, trails. U can do it Barry. Yea, I did it. I guess in the long run it made me a better rider. Looking back, it was all good. I survived it and I got some good pics and it did make me a better rider. :brow ps I’m closer to 70 than 60, so I‘m more hesitant to do that now.

Bigguns BBQ

792FE799-417A-4F0F-AC45-EA379F7FFB68.jpeg
Walked 100 yards to my new local BMW BBQ Restaurant and got a big Q sandwich. So big I ate with a knife and fork. BURP! It was good; no make that GREAT.

Forgot the best part. They were playing QWEM on the radio. Listening to early Blues, Rockabilly, Soul, Rock&Roll. Washed it down with a Coke. Ain’t America Great. Ps The only thing better is riding a BMW motorcycle. :eat
0B2C7F50-1B28-4657-AB63-22CC1F3AFDE1.jpeg

I accumulated a lot of BMW stuff. Some junk, some good. I was looking for some Bub glass pack type mufflers for 70’s Airheads. I didn’t find them, but I did find another aftermarket brand of airhead muffler; Mac Whispertone. These are a common style touring muffler. What a cool name for a BMW muffler; Whispertone. Most of the aftermarket wholesalers carry this as their BMW muffler. Common to see them at BMW rallies. Usually about 1/3 the price of oem mufflers. Their about 6 inches shorter than stock. This pair comes with no markings on them. They may still be in production. If your on a budget and u need a set a touring mufflers for twin shock airheads, this could be an option. I use ‘em.

Another aftermarket brand similar to Mac is Emgo. I think they make several types that fit airheads. I’ve seen ‘em, but never used them.

Back