• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

My Current Map

525A6329-CA5B-4C00-A5DD-74E86F5FDB18.jpeg
Actually when I started, I’d go to the center and get one map; halfway through the trip I’d have it all ripped to pieces. Finally figured out get two; I’m a slow learner.
B98B94FC-18AE-4299-9DA6-E85A7264FC00.jpeg
Map in Hand
Back in the day, riding out in the boondocks; I’d come to a cross road. If no traffic; just set there straddling the bike, pull the map out and study my next move. Map in hand. Yep, the feel of a map in hand and on a weekend adventure. Where to next; straight, or turn left, or turn right? Decisions decisions. :dunno

Big Guns BBQ Is No More

8A6AA3F3-C882-4591-9A51-C58463A66AEA.jpeg
I promoted this BBQ establishment some time back. They have ceased operation. Willy, the pit master left last winter. I kinda knew that doomed it. So if U want BBQ in Marion it’s Top’s BBQ.

R90 Mechanical Freshen Up

Been doing a little work on the ‘75 R90. It kinda fell by the wayside while I was riding the R100R. This bike is a solid all there complete bike. It’s a little rough on the cosmetic side. Right now it’s just a daily rider. Really enjoyed riding it a year ago. Since it wasn’t pristine, I kinda rode it in a rawhide fashion. My buddy/tech did a nice tune up on it. Actually had a blast on it. It’s a street bike I would ride just about anywhere on. Good candidate for the Wilderness Rally. Ride the Ozarks, all the backroads, rough gravel roads, places most riders take their GS’s.
085B2536-0B99-4A50-B847-D47E8A94945F.jpeg

4B048BD8-CA7E-47A9-B27A-8638378EAD0D.jpeg

278FA91C-6E09-477C-855E-E1200FD4BC1A.jpeg
I put a sealed battery in so I have less maintenance. Leo, checking out my wheels. I may look into getting some old school universal tires, mount on some Lester wheels. Get a little more traction/grip on the gravel roads.

This bike is a candidate for a more intensive resto. But at the moment I got other projects ahead of it. The bike runs good and the bikers I run with are impressed by how well it runs.

This bike is a candidate for a more intensive resto. But at the moment I got other projects ahead of it. The bike runs good and the bikers I run with are impressed by how well it runs.

I said intensive; a better word would be extensive. Stumbling over words.

Bikers

I hang with some bikers; one is Dallas. Over at the club, Dallas was complaining; U don’t take take pics of my chopper. Yea, I have. OK, line Ur bike up for a photo shoot. U and the bike.
73EB8BB9-F198-47B5-92D9-F8A51F383267.jpeg
8C3D01BE-591E-4561-97BA-44C3D209EA5A.jpeg
Cool, luv Ur chopper. Ur in the thread, for life. :bikes

‘87 k100lt

54AE5160-E59C-47E1-8F85-E2BD188C9196.jpeg
Back in the day, in Memphis, in the mid to late 80’s saw this bike new in back room of the dealership. Bumpass H/D, BMW, Yamaha. Back then I was riding very cool pristine ‘71 BMW R50/5. Very cool; very slow. Joe Ortega was the famous local motorcycle salesman. Joe knew I was a BMW rider and it was 1987. Barry follow me to the back; gotta show U the latest BMW. It was the new for ‘87; LT

To me, it was eye candy. 90hp; beautiful metallic paint, striping, fairing, bags, trunk etc, etc.. I wanted a K, but it was 5 years away. Wait and be patient.

I had one (K100) I liked it. But I liked my K75 more. So I hauled the K100 in a GMC van to the Trail of Tears Rally and sold it to a guy who wanted to use it as a sidecar hauler. BMW has seldom built a better bike for a side car. He was happy. I was happy. I went back to riding Old Smokey, my original '86 K75T - the best bike I ever owned.

Paul; Ur so away ahead of me. I’ve rode other peoples bikes in the 70’s to early 80’s. I was real late starting to ride my own bike. I think I started in ‘82 on my ‘71 R50. I think ‘88 on the ‘74 R90. I had chances to buy plain K75’s and K100’s. I was offered good deals, should have made the buy’s. For some reason; I didn’t pull the trigger. I thought they were to expensive. Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda. My mistake. Live and Learn. But, slowly, steadily, I was getting there. In the mean time, I was absorbing the the motorcycle life style and more specifically the BMW motorcycle lifestyle.

I really enjoyed the R50/5, it’s so cute. I was riding further; attending rallies, motorcycles events, bike runs. I felt; I needed more bike. The Kawasaki dealer had a new ‘87 Concours demo for sale. I think $4600. Leo, what do U think. Good bike; but personally I like European bikes. That went on for a bit. Barry, I gotta buddy with a R90/6 for sale. Well, to make a short story long, made a deal on it. He was asking $1500; I offered $1000. We split the difference, $1250. Basically 30hp to 60hp. YeeHaw!

R90/6

I started riding in '84. Started on a '71 R50/5. By '88 I was ready for a bigger bike, the highway was beacon ing me for longer runs. Was over at my Geru, Leo; I need a bigger bike. A buddy of mine has got the bike for you a '74 R90/6. Bought it on site; $1250 bucks. A little rough around the edges, but a good rider.
View attachment 66968
Added some Krausers
View attachment 66969
I was off an running. And I was a pioneer in Hi-Viz. Ran Hi-Viz before it was the in thing. The pioneers take the arrows. :scratch Yep, gotta put that funny stuff in. :thumb

Old school; not so cool.

Back