• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Three Buck Chuck

Good deal, if I get to California; I'll load up. I need to get a trailer for my bike to carry a large volume. Accountants/economists know it as economy of scale. :thumb:dance

Simple Math/ Counting

1,2,3,4,5---12,345
Now to simple English--- and my a,b,it's
Staying at home, social distancing, sheltering in place; bah, humbug. Herd immunity; so which is it.

Nessum Dorma

Trying to entertain myself, I started to listen to all the variations of this opera aria. I'm only a semi professional music listener like everybody else. Mostly rock, pop, country, even disco. Hey, I've been around a while. But, sittin at the house bored, came across Three Tenors and Nessum Dorma. Seems to be an Opera standard; Pavorotti, Paul Potts, endless other opera stars. Good stuff, actually great. Ran across Aretha Franklin, the Queen of Soul and her version. This ought to be interesting.

Scrolling thru the search menu, there it was. Aretha Franklin at the 1998 Grammy Awards. Pavorotti was scheduled to perform it. It was to be the hilite of the Grammy's that year. 30 minutes before the start of the Grammy's, he cancelled due to an illness. Aretha gracefully accepted to fill in.

Flipped over to the Grammy show and there it was, Aretha came out and gave her rendition. WOW, she brought the house down. All of the greats of the music world were there and on their feet with a standing ovation. It was all inspiring. What a lady. If your sitting around bored, just watch this to see American greatness.:thumb:thumb

Bmw r100

Been getting parts together to tune up the R100. Early 80's 40 mm Bings and big valve heads, twin shocker. Good old classic airhead. Been cleaning out the tank. My buddy, Leo Goff is ordering the parts from Bing International in Kansas. Back 30 years ago I was querying Leo about the Bing carbs, just how good are they. Leo looked at me, Barry the Bing carb is a good touring carb. 10-4 Leo, got it the Bing Vergaser is a good fuel delivery system.

Right now I'm just going for a regular stock tuneup. This bike will be a pleasant local rider, 60hp. Local rides to bike night, Shake Rag, the wineries. If all goes well, then may be get the heads done, dual plugged maybe new highercompression pistons. Aiming for 70Hp. Lots of maybe's on that road. Cost factor for airhead parts have gone up significantly since I last put money into an old airhead.

I need to go out and pull the throttle mechanism to examine it for wear. It won't surprise me that I need the gear and chain and throttle tube. Probably new throttle cables and choke cables. Oh well, it's only money. When I get it out for a ride that will all go away and I'll be smilin as I ride the Mississippi River Bluffs.

Oh well, just remembered the bike has early 70's handle bar holders off a Moto Guzzi, probably an Ambassador or Eldorado. Vernon the old man I got the bike from was an old Guzzi rider. Why he put those mounts on only he would know. Vernon's long gone, anyway I'll go back to the oem stock setup. Probably need to get oem cables. Better get a notebook and start the list. Something tells me this list is going to grow. Need to to the bank and get one of those new small business loans. Need to do my share to get the economy opened up and back to growing.:dance:thumb:wave

The R100. Before Vernon got the bike one of the previous owners messed up the tank with some worthless bar backs. I really like the red on this bike. I think I have an old tank cover back in the garage to cover the damage. Sad that they dinged up this nice tank. Sooner or later I'll have the tank repaired properly and a fresh coat of red paint. Mechanicals get addressed first, then cosmetics.

The bike came with a nice set of saddle bags and mounts. Plus I've got a lot of stuff that fits this bike. BMW windshields, aftermarket side stands, more bags and mounts, touring trunks, etc. Now is the time to just get it tuned into shape to be a dependable rider. I always get ahead of myself; I'm like a little kid with a new toy.

The doorbell rang today and sitting on the front porch was a 6"x6"x6" cardboard box from Council Grove, Kansas. Yep, from Bing Agency International. Way less than a pound. All the little parts, gaskets and seals to rebuild a set of carbs. Slow but sure wins the race. Now to get them over to Leo, so he can work his magic.:thumb

Got the carb parts over to Leo. He looked thru the little box, yep all there. He smiled and yes the price of these parts have gone thru the roof. Yep, like gold. Airheads simple by choice and expensive by whatever. :scratch:dunno

Barry get the twist grip, chain, throttle cables off for exam. We'll probably order all new ones anyway. Good Leo, it's only money. While your at it pull the front cover off, and look under the tank. Time to start checking to see the condition of the electric, charging and ignition systems. BMW, Bring More Wompon. Yes, and time for a new battery.:hungover

While I was over visiting Leo at his shop discussing the R100, Leo brought up the status of my K100. Showed him the current pics I have of the accumulated parts. I had a couple of headlight bucket assemblies and radiator surrounds. He took one look and said bring it on over and let me inspect all of it and start the plan for the reserection of that bike. Wow! We will probably have to put in a new fuel pump; ain't cheap. I know Leo, the only cheap thing on a BMW motorcycle is the rider.

The history of the K100 is somewhat interesting in that all of the early models all have the same basic foundation. K100, K100T, K100RS, K100RT, K100LT are generally the same underneath. So converting the RT to plain K100 is kinda sorta easy if you know what your doing. I always liked my RT, but I had issues. Most of it resolved around the fairing. The design cramped me into pretzel. I had a seat cut back 2 inches. It helped, but. I thought about selling the bike, they bring little money on the market. For the most part I liked the bike. About 25 years ago at the Wilderness Rally I ran into Dave from Kansas.

I told everyone standing around fire I was going for a ride the next day, which included going to Mountain View to the court house square and listening to some folk music. Anybody interested in joining me for a ride. No one answered for a bit, then I got; I'd like to go. He was on the other side of the fire pit, could'nt see him. He stepped out and I met Dave. No rush tomorrow, we'll get up take our time. It's going to be an easy relaxed ride for the day. The next day we met up, Dave was on a nice '85 K100. Humm.

After some small talk at the campfire, we were on our bikes and up the hill. Mnore small talk. We rode across the river to the real campground, Buffalo Point. We stopped at an old mining community and looked into to some of the old mining caves. Dave was all smiles, your the perfect guide. Yes, I have my moments, anything on the Buffalo River is cool. Now is the time to visit the Beverly Hillbillies. Too bad their in Beverly Hills and not the Ozark Hills.:thumb

We headed back east on 14, passed thru all the cool old towns, communities really; Cozahome, Evening Star, Harriet, Big Flat, Fifty-Six, Allison and on into Mountain View. Time for country food and folk music, dang I forgot my clogging shoes and mandolin. Truth be known, I don't
do either, but I'm a professional watcher and listener. The best really.

Back