• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Rides, Runs, Rallies

I used to be a regular at this stuff. Couldn't wait for the weekend to get here and hit the road. Attending a new rally or an old one. Seeing the same folks at the rallies, catching up with all their stories about their rides. What was the latest happening. Something about being on the road, it was a thrill. The ride there, taking a new route, just being in the wind and free.

Attachments

• IMG_0949.jpg
    IMG_0949.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 224
IMG_0949.jpg
IMG_0951.jpg
IMG_0954.jpg
By about my there rally, I felt like a veteran. I was hitting rallies generally up to 300 miles out. Meeting up with guys from up north, New England, West Coast. Real riders, I was jealous. We're going to the Top of the Rockies Rally next month, are you coming? I'd kinda himandhaw. I knew I wasn't. But I sure wanted to. These guys road everywhere, they knew everybody.

I knew I had to up my game. The first thing I had to address was the old R90. Long in the tooth. Rough around the edges and everywhere in between. Time for an overhaul. Where to start, how to begin, I need help.

By about my there rally, What? Who writes this junk? Me, I; all by myself. Proof read. Nah. I'm a literary giant in my little knatsize brain. :dunno

Thanks much. I'm pretty boring actually. But I can laugh at myself for some of the goofy stuff I text. One of these days I'm going to learn proper English Composition; Nah. I've got my 11th grade English Comp book around here somewhere. I'm going to get it out and and look at it. I'm not wasting my time studying it. Ain't happening. Yep, just look at it. :) ps I'll find it and post a pic. We can all have a good laugh.

My '74 R90/6

I started riding in '84. Started on a '71 R50/5. By '88 I was ready for a bigger bike, the highway was beacon ing me for longer runs. Was over at my Geru, Leo; I need a bigger bike. A buddy of mine has got the bike for you a '74 R90/6. Bought it on site; $1250 bucks. A little rough around the edges, but a good rider.
IMG_0955.jpg
Added some Krausers
IMG_0961.jpg
I was off an running. And I was a pioneer in Hi-Viz. Ran Hi-Viz before it was the in thing. The pioneers take the arrows. :scratch Yep, gotta put that funny stuff in. :thumb

Since the bike was a little rough, I rode it rough. All over Arkansas on them rough gravel roads, down to the river edge. Steep and curvy down them roads, usually after dark. Get down there and set up camp in the dark. I would start setting up and all of a sudden a couple of guys would be over with their mag lites, to help. The next day, they could really see the bike. You rode that down here. Unbelievable. Yeah, half way down, I stopped and thought, if those guys ain't down there, it's going to be a lonely campsite. Yes, rode with the hardcore adventure riders and Harley riders. They liked me. You carry more cold beer than all us put together. Yes and I share, as long as you like cold Budweiser.
IMG_0962.jpg
Wilderness Rally Campground. By now I had totally destroyed the stock Sidestand. Installed the sturdy Brown. For about a year, I used the centerstand or propped the bike on a tree. Good that I found the Brown, the centerstand was about to collapse as the two legs were about to collapse thru. The two contact points were sand papered with holes in the centerstand legs. You can see in this pic, I had graduated from flattened beer can to a home built foot. I see in this pic I hadn't started useing a string on the foot to handlebar reminder. I saw a few of those and kinda laughed about it. After I left a few of those feet behind, started using the string. Don't think I lost another foot.

The buddy who started me riding got an invite to ride with some guys to Mexico for the winter. In fact I set him up with those guys. I was working in a machine shop at the time. Got a nice piece of aluminum flat stock. Machined it down to perfect size square, a perfect foot. Got my stamp kit out. Stamped his name, address, the bike he rode, a beautiful '75 R90/6 and the date I made it. I even drilled a small hole and put a small bend in the corner, perfect to tie a string. That bike was to nice for Mexico. He's the guy who started me riding. Any way, the last time I saw him, I handed him the foot. He thought it was pretty cool. I mentioned to him to get a string and tie it to the foot. Hang the other end over the handle bar. A reminder to always retrieve the foot. First thing outa his mouth, I don't need a string; I won't forget it. I kinda raised my eyes, but I didn't say anything. About 6 months later we hooked up on bikes. He had just about destroyed that bike in Mexico. We road over to a bar to get a beer. He got off his bike, looked around for a can to stomp into a foot. Uh, Hey Buddy, where's that foot I made for U. Oh, Barry It worked great till I forgot it somewhere down in Mexico. Uh huh. What ever you do don't use a string as a reminder. I didn't say anything. What's the point. :dunno :hungover

1975 bmw r90/6

IMG_0986.jpg
The bike my buddy rode to to Mexico. Circa 1988/89. The bike was nice and in excellent shape at that time. Those saddle bags were kinda neat. They had one draw back. They had latches on both ends, not a hinge. I casually suggested that he attach a security strings in case the lids blew off. Well, you know where that went. One lid blew off and was long gone. Some people don't have the ability to comprehend good advise. But on that day he rode over to see me that bike was nice. :thumb

I knew I had to up my game. The first thing I had to address was the old R90. Long in the tooth. Rough around the edges and everywhere in between. Time for an overhaul. Where to start, how to begin, I need help.

After a couple of years, I starting to spend more time working on the bike than riding it. It needs a lot of help. My Buddy Vernon Noles had a large garage in West Memphis, Ar.. Barry, I've cleared out an area for you to strip down your bike for the overhaul. Bring it over, when your ready. Vernon, thank you so much, your the man.
IMG_0966.jpg
Started the process, off with fairing.

Bike dissasembly went well over at Vernon garage. Got it broke down to a million pieces. Another buddy of mine was a paint expert. He was a long time Fed Ex employee. He said, I'm painting your frame parts, get it over here. It took me about 1 second to agree. Peter was a blessing. I couldn't thank him enough. Got that stuff over to him. Peter did a great job on all those frame pieces. My eyes pop out when I seen them pieces. While that stuff was gone over to Peter, the job kinda slowed down. Vernon said, Barry, you ought part that stuff out and make a pocket full of money. No Vernon, that bikes going back together. :)

Took the engine over to Leo's to get it freshened up. Leo did he heads. Pretty much straight forward, nothing exotic. Leo dressed the valves and seats. Reassembled the heads, checked the pistons and cylinders. Kinda iffy. Barry, your cylinders are really close to needing new pistons. Your on the cusp. Leo, you know this is an econo rebuild. Look Barry, I'll hone the cylinder, clean the pistons, and install a new set of rings, you'll be good to go. Checked your bottom end, all good. Your going to have a new fresh engine. You should be good for 50,000 miles at least, maybe a lot more. :thumb

The tranny, that was another story. I was riding the bike right up to disassembly. Took the tranny out. When I shook it around, it was clanging and banging, Oh my gosh, what is this. This ain't good. :dunno

Side stand foot

Since the bike was a little rough, I rode it rough. All over Arkansas on them rough gravel roads, down to the river edge. Steep and curvy down them roads, usually after dark. Get down there and set up camp in the dark. I would start setting up and all of a sudden a couple of guys would be over with their mag lites, to help. The next day, they could really see the bike. You rode that down here. Unbelievable. Yeah, half way down, I stopped and thought, if those guys ain't down there, it's going to be a lonely campsite. Yes, rode with the hardcore adventure riders and Harley riders. They liked me. You carry more cold beer than all us put together. Yes and I share, as long as you like cold Budweiser.
View attachment 66972
Wilderness Rally Campground. By now I had totally destroyed the stock Sidestand. Installed the sturdy Brown. For about a year, I used the centerstand or propped the bike on a tree. Good that I found the Brown, the centerstand was about to collapse as the two legs were about to collapse thru. The two contact points were sand papered with holes in the centerstand legs. You can see in this pic, I had graduated from flattened beer can to a home built foot. I see in this pic I hadn't started useing a string on the foot to handlebar reminder. I saw a few of those and kinda laughed about it. After I left a few of those feet behind, started using the string. Don't think I lost another foot.

After leaving several side stand feet painted this one, purple put pink line on it ( kind of faded and scratched from sliding around in milk crate top case)IMG_2116.jpg
Squeakie did not mind helping hold foot for picture

Kinda funny going to a BMW motorcycle rally and seeing all the bikes parked with the Side Stands Feet on a String. You know the BMW Head honcho's are there and see this. You would think when they go back to Germany and the factory, they would go by the side stand department. Hey guys was just at a BMW MOA National. Guess what I saw. Over half the bikes had aftermarket side stands and the ones that had our oem stands had Feet on Strings. Can we build a better side stand with a better foot? Guess not. :scratch:dunno
Funny story, but it oughta happen. PS Good looking cat! :thumb

Runnin around with them drunken rowdy fat Harley bikers, hitten all the bars. It all had it's routine. Sooner or later they would come over and check out my routine. Dude, what are you doing every time we park, what's that junk routine you do. OK Guys, it 105' out here and the pavement is soft. If I use my stock oem sidestand , I'll come back out here and find my bike taking a nap. The side stand foot sucks. So I use this side stand foot on a string. What are U going on about. So I'm standing there surrounded by a bunch of bikers all of over 6'3 and taller and 250-300 lbs all looking down at me. They all stomped beer cans laying around and handed to me. That's all Ya gotta do, man. It's a good thing we like you. If it wasn't for the fact U buy more beer than us, on an on. Then a couple of them would get on either side of me, put their arms over my neck and shoulders
And sag their 300 lbs. frames on me. My knee's would almost buckle. They'ed both laugh, give me bear hugs almost crushing my chest. Time for a cold one, your round.:beer

More Biker Stories

I hung out out at a Biker Bar. Mugs, I've posted pics of that bar on the thread. After work one day, stopped in for a cold one. The parking lot was full of bikes. I knew several of the local Patch clubs were having their gettogethers. Most of them, were buds to each other. I made my normal rounds, Biker hugs, handshakes, fist bumps, the usual. They were in the middle of all their bs club small talk. I wasn't interested, moved over to the bar. Got situated and gotta beer. Two surly bikers came in stopped at the door.I didn't recognize them as regulars. Who's on that BMW out there? It wasn't friendly. I stiffened up, got my hand around my bottle. I hope I can take one out before the other one gets me. Yikes, I ain't no brawler. They were coming around the corner, I started to get up and turn to confront them head on. I didn't want to get blind sighted from the back. About that time, I had two hands on shoulders. Two of my Biker buddies were on each side of me. They pushed me back in my seat. Taz was about 6'3 and 270lbs and Hoss was about 6'6" 300 lbs. Our buddy here rides the BMW. Ya, gotta problem with him, ya gotta with us and all his other buds in here. They mumbled some stuff and left. Man, that got my attention. Glad those guys stood up for me. I fazed out my Biker life style after that. To dangerous.

Another Biker Story-Funny

I have a lotta biker gear, plenty of black leather, chaps, vests, jackets, all the typical gear. I like that stuff, but over time I transitioned From the Biker gear to the motorcyclist gear. From small open face helmet and black leather to full face helmet and full Areostitch Roadcrafter. I liked both and wore both. I would show up at the Biker bar with the Stitch and full Schubert Concept Helmet. Pop the lid on the modular helmet and set it on the table. Zipped the Stitch open bottom to top and stepped out of it in the regular routine. Set it over the chair. Taz and Hoss came over, I knew they were up to mischief. Bro, what is all this stuff. You, a spaceman or Sumpin? They picked up both of them and kinda smirked as they showed that stuff to all their buddies. They were all grinnin thru their half toothless smiles. Stop it, Guys, Ya making me look bad. Bikers, their a different bunch.

Couldn't help thinkin, big patch wearing Biker gang rolls into town and pulls up into the local Biker bar watering hole. As they get off their bikes, they get their side stand Feet on a String out and put them under their Jiffy Stands. Just seeing that in my mind, just too funny. Who could think up junk like this? Me. I'm starting to really worry about, Me. I may need help. Naw. It's funny.

Back