• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help- Wrong Handlebar Switch? 1988 K100LT

Seemed that since I bought my bike in May, I've been bummed that the little green start button was missing. Hey I know, a little thing and the little nub worked fine but I decided to look for a used one. Actually found a new never used one in the flea market here, right switch, continuous light. Checked the part number and made the purchase. Pulled everything through just fine but the connectors do not match up.

Can anyone explain? Does my bike have a harness from a later bike? The old one has smaller pins, is rectangle and has a blank row, the new one has large pins and is more square.

switch.jpg

After comparing the part numbers on the two cords, both have the same number. Why do the ends look different?

Last edited:
First thing is to put the year and model of the bike that you want help with. Most of us on this forum are not mind readers.

I checked your profile and found that you have an '88 K100LT. I could tell it was an LT by the picture (radio grill).

But the old small pin connector is for a 4Valve K100RS or a K1100. The new large pin connector is correct for all 2Valve K100s and K75s and would be correct for a K100LT.

So it appears that someone has done some changing to the electrical wiring on your bike.

You have a few options:

Disassemble both switches and swap the buttons (they're the same and it only takes a few minutes)

or trade with someone with the correct switch and wiring (I might have a few in decent shape) I'll go check.

Next time post the year and model of your bike please.

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks Lee, I knew I should have put the year and type in the title but I guess I got excited. Read a lot but don't post much. Unlike the majority here, I can only afford one bike right now and that information was listed in the bottom of my message. Sorry that you missed it.

I am blown away by the knowledge of some of you. I actually had a harder time finding the 2V switch and could have saved myself some time getting the 4v from the start.

Working on an older BMW can be an adventure at times. :thumb

Ok, I was wrong on a couple things.

Your old small pin connector is NOT a 4Valve Kbike connector. Those are black 12 hole (two rows of 6) connectors.

I have no idea what that small pin connector is from, but it does not appear to be from any early Kbike that I can find. :dunno Even '83 k100s list the large pin part number.

It's VERY easy to swap the buttons. Just remove the snap ring (E-clip) from the back side of the switch housing and with the snap ring end of the button pointed up, carefully lower the button and kill switch out of the housing. Swap and reinstall snap ring.

Last edited:
After comparing the part numbers on the two cords, both have the same number. Why do the ends look different?

I didn't see this part of the message either. Now you've really got me curious.

I can't imagine them using the same part number for something that is totally incompatible. :scratch

Just swap the buttons. Maybe someone else can solve the mystery.

Buttons switched out and on to replacing fuel lines and other odds and ends. By summertime she may actually be ready be ready for some real miles.

Thanks Lee

Your old connector-the one on the left appears to be a Molex connector. The tabs on either side are meant to be snapped into a panel. I would imagine somewhere in the last 22 years that someone felt the need to change this connector.

James,

I'm adding your bike year/model to the thread title. PLEASE do this on future postings to the forum. It helps people spot threads they might be able to help out with, and will help people in the future spot threads that might help them.

Back