• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

85 k100rt

zigzag

Just wanting some input, have a chance to buy a 85 K100RT. Bike is in good condition, has under 19000 miles , Russell Seat, Tank Bag and side bags. I live in the midwest and ride year round but as far as BMW's have only owned oilheads. I've been told these bikes run very hot but other than thatwith regular maint. they will run a very long time. Thanks for any input.

The early Ks had frequent speedometer/odometer problems and many were replaced. Don't trust the milage. That being said, engines are bullet proof and good for many hundreds of thousands of miles.
I do not care for fairings, but I have also heard they are hot.
Reliable, fast, inexpensive. Good combination.

speed safely

Don't quit your day job

..... and don't sell your summer bike.

I've had the 85 K100RT for 15,000 miles using it October through May. Mine is HOT. That said, mine is not for sale and may never be. I purchased an electric vest last year and it's still in the package because I didn't go on any long rides below 40 degrees.

I think these bikes make a great foul/cold weather commuter. When I see people show up to the Polar Bear Grand Tour rides on new $30,000 Harleys I think " you are going to ride on salted roads? Slick roads? With that?"

They are reliable and cheap ($2000 ish). Good engines and good transmissions (with circlip). Parts are available new and used although fairings and mirrors are getting rare. They have the added advantage of being easily serviced at a BMW dealer if needed. They also qualify as "Historic" vehicles (over 25 years old) and do not need yearly registration fees ($65 in N.J.) and no motor vehicle inspection required.

Keep another bike for summer rides and you should be OK.

Been on my K all summer long. Commute 35 miles one way on it, in a uniform. Took a few one day runs on it. Did I mention I live on the border, where heat and humidity are not so good together. Maybe being native Texan helps but this is just not the inferno I was led to believe. I remember my /5 toasting my ankles years ago and yes before homemade mods, my thighs would get hot but nothing unmanageable.

The temp gauge runs between a quarter and a third on the bottom. Steady. Never over halfway. Letting it run for ten minutes parked will bring it to the top but traffic is not that bad here. Never heard the fan come on yet.

My case may be the exception but if you want a K, try one. With simple mods, they can be very survivable in the summer.

I have a 85 k100rt yes it was to hot to ride above 70 but with some heat mods.
And air wings I can ride in 90dig. days just fine . The longest day I did so far was 700
miles to a rally in Ga. and made out fine other than that ride it every day . With the age of the bike you will need to replace all the seals and anything rubber not to hard to do ( its only money) I love my old brick and will never sell it .
Good Luck
Ernest

My '87 K in the five years that I have ridden it, has not been uncomfortable for me to in the summer, even in temperatures up to 105F. Actually, my feet have become hot riding my R1100, not the K. :dunno

In the cooler weather the engine runs about 158F; in the summer around 177F and in hot summer city traffic it can reach about 190F but these temps are not transfered back to me, just my Fuel Plus Computer that reads engine temp, among other things.

Back