• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lodging recommendations in the Asheville,NC area

My wife and I are planning an October ride from our home (Houston,TX area) and are hoping to find a nice lodge/motel somewhere in the Asheville area for a week. (Doesn't have to be in Asheville...just in that general area of NC.)

We're not looking to stay in a B&B (I like them ok...she doesn't)...but we do want to avoid the run of the mill Motel 6's...(no offense as we've stayed in those too). All we really want to find is someplace that's nice, scenic but not pricey...preferably more country than city...paved parking lot. We ride our R1200RT the whole trip and prefer lodging with paved parking.)

If you have any recommendations I'd appreciate it!

Alan

Scenic, more country than city.

Have you considered staying in Maggie Valley? It fits your requirements to a Tee. Lots of major motel chains as well as loads of other local accomadations that cater to motorcyclists. It's only about 30 miles or so to Ashville and has great riding roads in all directions. It's one of our favorite spots to stay.

We've stayed at the Oak Park Inn (Waynesville, NC) on a couple of occasions and were very pleased with the accommodations and the location. Motorcycle friendly folks and a small town atmosphere.

http://www.oakparkinn-waynesville.com/

Waynesville is also a nice town to stay. It has a really nice old downtown area with lots of interesting shops. The Mast General Store is really nice. The Oak Park Inn looks nice. We may check it out on one of our visits.

My wife and I are planning an October ride from our home (Houston,TX area) and are hoping to find a nice lodge/motel somewhere in the Asheville area for a week. (Doesn't have to be in Asheville...just in that general area of NC.)

We're not looking to stay in a B&B (I like them ok...she doesn't)...but we do want to avoid the run of the mill Motel 6's...(no offense as we've stayed in those too). All we really want to find is someplace that's nice, scenic but not pricey...preferably more country than city...paved parking lot. We ride our R1200RT the whole trip and prefer lodging with paved parking.)

If you have any recommendations I'd appreciate it!

Alan

Maggie Valley has several good chain hotels and a few good restaurants you can walk to from your hotel. Waynesville's only chains are Super 8, Days Inn, and Best Western. I recommend the Best Western if you choose a chain. The Oak Park Inn is independent, but well run and within walking distance also to several good restaurants. All have very good ingress/egress for motorcycles and solid parking. Your wife really should give some of our B&Bs a chance though. While you're here, give Wheels Through Time (in Maggie Valley) a couple of hours. It's well worth the time spent.

www.haywood-nc.com
www.wheelsthroughtime.com

Ride safe!

Tommy

Last edited:
Chalet Inn

As I recall, this is less than an hour from Ashville by a direct route. We stayed here a few years ago and plan to go back sometime. Couldn't ask for nicer innkeepers! The place is beatiful and peacefully quiet, sitting on the side of a mountain.

The downside is that you have to ride to town for dinner. But a fantastic ride, it is!

A big ++ on the Pisga Inn. Restaurant is good, rooms are OK, all with a great view, and the evening Skunk parade is well worth the stay. There is an army of these cute critters that come out every evening to beg food from the folks sitting on their balconies. Just don't try to pet them.

A big ++ on the Pisga Inn. Restaurant is good, rooms are OK, all with a great view, and the evening Skunk parade is well worth the stay. There is an army of these cute critters that come out every evening to beg food from the folks sitting on their balconies. Just don't try to pet them.

I will third the Pisgah, get the newer remodeled rooms, cost a few buck more, but killer views, great restaurant on site, with great food and reasonable prices. Some of the best riding in NC is just a few miles away (if you want twisty stuff).

We didn't see the skunk Parade, but did have a black bear just off the room balcony pulling down a small tree to get a meal.

A close 2nd would be the Big Lynn lodge in Little Switzerland (By spruce pine).

Rooms are dated but clean, includes home cooked dinner and breakfast and a million $$$ view from most rooms/cabins. Again lots of great riding just outside your door.

Both are nice enough that the wife might decide to sit in the sun and read a book, and let you go solo if you want.

Thanks much!...you guys are awesome!

I'm 54 years old...been riding most of my life...riding my 3rd RT....a club member for years but first time to post on this Forum and it was of sooo much help! Thanks to all of you for the recommendations. Ride safe!

Alan

Alan - one thing, and this may or not be important to you.

The Pisgah in does not have any fuel services (they used to), or much of anything else except a restaurant. It's a good 30-40 minutes to get into town, so stock up on your whatvers before heading up there.

of course the 30-45 minutes is almost pure twisties....... :)

Back