• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 RT Fuel Strip Went South

Hey Steve,
'Dem Hyundais ain't too bad. As a track instructor I get to play with about every 4 wheeled device made that is reasonably available and if I got print my own greenbacks I'd go for a Ferrari 430 in a blink- but as a daily driver any of the H's is more ready to do it when you turn the key every morning even though they don't make anything that's quick or fast. I've used a couple of the newer models as rentals on long runs and wouldn't give Toyota or BMW the extra $ for their equivalent models. The fact is any Asian car maker, probably even the Chinese maker of the Cherry in another couple years, could teach BMW a lot about reliability and durability because BMW cars are no better than the bikes- there are a whole lot of antique Corollas running around and almost no E30s. (And I use a 20 yr old Lexus as a DD).
Aside from cost cutting and time cutting in development, Euro firms are also big into a type of matrix management that holds almost no one accountable for anything - that's why they don't get anything fixed until the costs are big to them or its been 5 years. Add "throw it over the fence" outsourcing of parts (because well managed outsourcing costs real money that is easily eliminated by just "mailing specs") into the mix and the stew for machines with mediocre reliability is complete. In an era when making an extremely reliable device is technically trivial, its the human and management failures of the people in Germany that is the root cause of BMW errors. The stuff they do entirely in house seems not to be the weak points of the boxer bikes at present and that alone is pretty good evidence that its functional disconnects internally that limit BMW reliability and quality. If they put a fraction as much effort into fixing mistakes as they do into cutesy marketing, the bikes wouldn't have the long standing flaws they do.
But fixing mistakes is a weak spot in many firms when the applicable product laws don't exact criminal or very large civil penalties for letting them loose on the public.

I like my RT just fine but if Hyundai made an equivalent it would be $6K less and more reliable (and probably 70 or 80 lbs heavier). An RT, though a decent touring bike, ain't nearly as much fun as that Ferrari 430 so it at least ought to offer the reliability of a cheap car...Too bad the Japanese BMW copycats of years back aren't still doing it- it would be fun to see a modern comparison now that Asians make and sell most of the world's bikes.

Just had my fuel strip go bad on my 09 RT... Im at just shy of 12k miles and 15 months of ownership. Of course mine fails at empty so I've got the damn yellow triangle and flashing gauge which is real annoying.

I had two questions.. other than the tape method, any way to extinguish the lights? I dont need the gauge since I use odometer and gps anyways.

second, how long does it take a dealership to fix? I will have to drive out of town to get it fixed.. The air force has sent me to lovely Montgomery AL, and I no longer have a local BMW dealership (and am not apt to trust the locals who dont have BMW certification)

Thanks in advance,

B-1

I've had several tell me less than 2 hours in and out at the dealership.

Now go read the procedure for installing and calibrating one and tell me how to do it in under two hours without skipping a lot of it....Or maybe I'm the very slowest wrench in the world??

Suggest talking to the guys you'd let do it, AFTER you read the procedure.

I've had several tell me less than 2 hours in and out at the dealership.

Now go read the procedure for installing and calibrating one and tell me how to do it in under two hours without skipping a lot of it....Or maybe I'm the very slowest wrench in the world??

Suggest talking to the guys you'd let do it, AFTER you read the procedure.
Sandia BMW took right at 4.5 hours to do my fuel strip and the brake recall. The tech popped his head in the service area while I was asking how much longer before I could hit the road to tell me he was guessing another 45 minutes to finish the re-programming and road test.

Had my fuel strip replaced today at the BMW bike shop in Atlanta... also had brake lines recall done, my 12k service and new shoes put on... all took about 5 hours.

As for the fuel line... this dealership was told from their rep visiting from Germany that the fuel sensor issue seems to be mainly a U.S. only issue and that they think it is the ethanol in our fuel that is to blame.

This sounded silly to me, but for what it is worth, my bike was fine for 10K of miles in another state where 93 had no ethanol... Once I moved to AL, all the gas had ethanol, and the problem appeared after less than a 100 miles in state.

Anyone else have like correlations (or lack theirof?)

B-1

Had my fuel strip replaced today at the BMW bike shop in Atlanta... also had brake lines recall done, my 12k service and new shoes put on... all took about 5 hours.

As for the fuel line... this dealership was told from their rep visiting from Germany that the fuel sensor issue seems to be mainly a U.S. only issue and that they think it is the ethanol in our fuel that is to blame.

This sounded silly to me, but for what it is worth, my bike was fine for 10K of miles in another state where 93 had no ethanol... Once I moved to AL, all the gas had ethanol, and the problem appeared after less than a 100 miles in state.

Anyone else have like correlations (or lack theirof?)

B-1
Sounds like the usual dealer blather* (TM)..

It would be hard to explain why people in Canada, Australia and the UK are experiencing fuel sensor strip failures if ethanol was to blame, since they don't use or have booze laced fuel (or as good a corn lobby as we have..) On an R1200R specific forum I'm on, we have a very international membership - and there are no countries immune from the fuel strip failure. It also would surprise me a whole bunch if BMW had forgotten about US booze laced fuel since it's been in use for at least 5-6 years now in most parts of the country.

* "usual dealer blather" = attempts by a dealer employee or owner to sound expert on everything. It sometimes leads to some very amusing statements and reports of conversations with fictional people (like a "rep visiting from Germany" - for what? We have BMW-Motorad-US..)

Oh - BMW does have a record of blaming problems on the US - that "never happen in Germany" - K bike clutch splines were an outstanding example.. there are many others. I suspect it's easier then admitting they screwed up.. :bolt

+1 on the BMW spin doctors. I wonder how they're going to spin losing California CHP motorcycle sales to Kawasaki?:dance

On another note, the dealership also suspects that BMW has secretly replaced the electronic strips with floats in the new 2011 R bikes....

I asked to have a float put in, but they said there weren't the parts to do so...

Would you beleive I am on strip #5 and my warranty is up in Jan.

This whole fuel strip thing SUCKS!

Jack
If your strip #5 fails within 2 years of installation by your dealer - it is still under warranty, and you'll get #6 for free, and so-on and so-on..

On another note, the dealership also suspects that BMW has secretly replaced the electronic strips with floats in the new 2011 R bikes....
Gee, that was last year's (2009) rumor on the 2010 bikes.. and it wasn't true then. (See my note on "usual dealer blather" above..)

Let's Tell NTSA about the Fuel Sensor problem?!

I ran out of gas b/c of a broken fuel sensor indicator on the way to the most recent Color in the Catskills - it was a monsoon. The local dealership I wound up going to told me that they replace that often. Another rider up there suggested that we Beemer riders should report this to the NTSA's website - apparently there's a place to do that somewhere. He says he thinks BMW will be forced to listen if a complaint is registered. Ah dunno, maybe that's the way to go, b/c what good is it to have an item replaced with the same type of faulty item?:scratch

NHTSA [link] doesn't care about reliability or perceived safety issues. They only care about actual documented harm. This was a recent topic of discussion on the BMW Tech mailing list. If you can not document the fact that Joe Blow was injured on such-and-such date for such-and-such reason the NHTSA doesn't really care.

So... who has been injured due to a failed fuel sensor?

I lost one on my 2007 at about 10 months old, dealer replacement under warranty.

Due to work related travel, I did not use the bike for about 2 months with the tank at half full. Guess what, no readings of fuel level and flashing yellow triangle.

I decided to leave the fuel tank full and the bike on it's center stand in the future for times it sat unused. After a few refills of the tank over a few week period, the sensor returned to full function. No issues since, this was about 6 months ago.

Strange, but true. :dunno

My fuel sensor failed on the way to have the brake line re-call done, literally. It was replaced and the dealer said to use a little Marvel mystery oil in the tank to protect in between the layers of the strip. Does this sound right? :scratch
Thanks,
Rich

Rubber down.

My fuel sensor failed on the way to have the brake line re-call done, literally. It was replaced and the dealer said to use a little Marvel mystery oil in the tank to protect in between the layers of the strip. Does this sound right? :scratch
Thanks,
Rich

Rubber down.
Rich,

Sounds like more dealer voodoo.. The "strip" is one piece of plastic with a deposited resistive pattern on each side. There are no layers.

946 miles later, another one has been replaced on Oct 3rd.

I'm not impressed with a part of any kind that lasts less than 3 weeks.

BMW needs to get it's collective act together and solve this. Speculation of them going back to the float system of the R11 series would be less accurate but Over the years, I've only known one to fail that wasn't tampered with in some way.

So the new one now has 290 miles on it. It was working when I put the bike in the garage. I'll know today if it's still working.

This is a very disappointing component failure in and otherwise fine machine.

My first fuel strip failed after 30 minutes, but the second lasted well into three months. After several weeks of procrastination, I'm having Mortons install the third strip next week. By the way, the folks at Mortons are polite, thorough, and they provide loaner bikes.

Yes, I've used the odometer for decades and if there was no fuel gauge I probably wouldn't miss it. But that glowing signal of malfunction drives me nuts.

This sloppy engineering bugs the hell out of me, but is it enough to turn me off to BMW Rs? Probably not. My previous daily rider is still running fine after 35 years. If 35 years from now the only problem with my R1200R is the crappy fuel gauge, I'll probably get yet another BMW. That is, assuming future medical advances will allow replacement of my various body parts that will have failed entirely by then.

Back