• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How Many R100RS's are out there?

Airhead Open House

AND a FINE looking one too!!

So you are saying if we can pull this off and get ~100 RS's there next year, we will be the "star" of the Open house? :dance

I'm in

If I am able to get my #618076 back on the road by then, I'll be there. Would prefer as many curves as possible. No, I'm talking about the side roads!!!

RS Gathering

If I am able to get my #618076 back on the road by then, I'll be there. Would prefer as many curves as possible. No, I'm talking about the side roads!!!

Don't know about those type curves, but we will be the "belle of the ball" if we can get multiple RS's at the MOA Open House. AND Missouri/Arkansas/Kansas/Oklahoma have MANY of the regular "drag your pegs" type curves. :clap

Get that 77 together and come on:stick!!

My 76 R100RS, serial #608414 (UK model) is now resting comfortably in the front atrium of my house in Green Bay. But its ready to ride and I did get some miles on it last fall.

A few mods: sport cam, lightened flywheel, dual-plugged, Dyna ignition, 38mm Mikuni flat slide carbs. Starts easily and runs great.

What about a RS "celebration" event at the MOA rally in Bloomsburg this summer? There could also be a RS only ride event during the rally. Just a thought.

A few mods: sport cam, lightened flywheel, dual-plugged, Dyna ignition, 38mm Mikuni flat slide carbs. Starts easily and runs great.[/QUOTE]

I would really like to test ride your bike some day.;)

My 76 R100RS, serial #608414 (UK model) is now resting comfortably in the front atrium of my house in Green Bay. But its ready to ride and I did get some miles on it last fall.
Sounds like we could have a convoy ... :thumb

Curious about why you say it's a '76. You're missing a digit from your serial number or I'd check it myself. I think they only built 2-3 '76 prototypes and introduced the RS in '77.

BMW has always tagged their UK & EU models as the year prior to the US version. If you look in the records, you will see that the R90S is first listed as a 1973 model, the first K bikes are 1984, etc.

BMW has always tagged their UK & EU models as the year prior to the US version. If you look in the records, you will see that the R90S is first listed as a 1973 model, the first K bikes are 1984, etc.

The records do show that the first R90S was built in 9/73, but that doesn't make it a 1973 model, does it? To me, build year and model year are two separate things. I believe it's clearly stated in other books that the R90S was first introduced as a 1974 model.

Tomato, tomahto??

It is BMW's history/policy to number model years in EU and UK as beginning the year prior to their US release. So a 1974 first year R90S inthe USA is classed as a 1973 in Europe or UK. All other models happen in the smae fashion. Not a production date issue, just a BMW behavior/choice/policy/procedure/whathaveyou. (My 2001 R1100S has a build date of July 2000, but if it had been sold in EU it would have been a 2000 model year machine).

no need to agree with BMW, or even to understand the "why", just accept it as "this is what it is".
which thus explains Andy's 1976 first year R100RS, UK issue.

RS gathering...

Don - we have confirmed that we will have an RS gathering/BBQ/Barley Therapy and Photoshoot during the MOA rally in July. Probably will be on 23rd around mid-afternoon...

See ya- Mark 1978 R100RS Motorsport

Count me in Mark. I was glad to hear Todd announce this at Suptertech. Should be able to round up quite a few RSs I would think.

RS Gathering

Don - we have confirmed that we will have an RS gathering/BBQ/Barley Therapy and Photoshoot during the MOA rally in July. Probably will be on 23rd around mid-afternoon...

See ya- Mark 1978 R100RS Motorsport

Mark,

Did some checking (schedule, etc.) and may not make that one :-( (distance,time & $$$$ problem).

Last edited:
OK, somebody post a pix of the gathering of RS's at this summer's MOA in PA and let's get to planning the 2012 RS gather.

Thanks Darrly, that is a nice collection of RS's. Maybe there will be more next year. If all goes well, mine will be there.

Wayne

Back