• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

12K service $ for 07 R12?

Hey all,

I know it depends on what they do and I have the service schedule for the 12k service, but over-all what is the average cost people are paying for the 12K service? Sorry to open any old sores.

Thanks,
Rich

Rubber down.

I do not know the cost of a 12K service, as i do all my own servicing.

But if you are mechanically inclined, everything you need to do on a 12K service is outlined HERE

I am thinking it sould be the standard valve lash adjustment, computer fault check and service reminder reset (if required), air filter check/change, maybe a FD fluid change, and an oil change......if so, about 300 dollars in my area.

I might have missed a small item or two, but that should be the big ticket items.

If I am wrong someone step in and correct me please.

Roughly 4 hours times the local labor rate plus $100 ~ $150 in parts. More if sparkplugs and/or the alternator belt are to be changed.

Not unusual for a $600 bill at places with high labor rates. Throw in a couple of tires and you could spend a grand.

At 12K I don't think they do the plugs or the belt. The plugs are scheduled every 24k miles, and I think the belt doesn't have to be changed until 48, if I'm remembering the schedule - but certainly not at 12.

Just did my own last week thanks to Luis' awesome walkthroughs.
- Air filter
- Oil change
- Transmission oil change
- Valve adjustment
- Throttle sync
- Check codes, Reset service reminder (with GS-911)
- Visual inspection of brakes, clutch slave cylinder, throttle cables...

I had (slightly preemptively) done my final drive oil change at about 10K, so I didn't need to do it again, but ordinarily this is when I'd be doing that too.

Last edited:
I would plan on paying at least $300 but would not be surprised at a $600 cost.
That's why Semper Fi has the right idea. Most of the service work is pretty easy if you have any mechanical aptitude. And with all the help from the various forums you can get most any problem resolved. :banghead Plus you can get parts cheaper as well. Try http://beemerboneyard.com/ for starters.

Chris O

Thanks everyone.

I live in an area where the work would be in the higher range ($1000 without tires), so I think Semper Fi has the right idea and the walk thru's in the tech forums are really clear. Time get a TB synch and GS911, I 'spect. I have been studying the tech forums, tho. The valve adjust looks a lot like the '76 Subaru I did back in the day Would love to get a bike lift but, that lux. will have to wait.

Thanks to all for your replies,

Rich
Rubber down :wave

I would think CA has the highest labor rates and the 12M service will cost just shy of $600. Some burgers off the grill and a few beers may get someone over to show you the ropes, or a local 'tech day'. Have you posted on the BMWST.com site?, lots of good helpers there.

...And he's a total PITA!

My last tire change at Frank's wound up at $750, and this summer he quoted me $500 in labor alone for an ASC retrofit. I feel your pain. If I were full-time in VT, I'd consider a Honda.

Cheers, Tom

So anyway, I guess the results of my survey is that it's cost prohibitive (sp?) to have the dealer do any thing but the most necessary. And even then...

I figured out that it would be less money to get the tools AND bike lift than to have the dealer do the 12K service.
That's pretty sad. :sick I'm going in for a State inspection this morning. If I'm not back in 75', (' = minutes): Fire for effect, danger close. :banghead

Gordon, thanks for the tip. I'll check out the website you mentioned. There's no such thing as too much info. (Except from main stream media. But I digress...)

Rubber down

Hey Rich - I've never done ANY kind of bike maintenance before owning my RT, and I found the whole thing to be a piece of cake if you take it slow and careful. I think you'll find this thing pleasantly easy to work on, and you've got lots of folks here to help clarify anything. All it takes is some time (which is a precious commodity in itself...)

Does it void the 3 year factory warranty to do your own 6K or 12 K service ? is the cost of the 6K the same as the 12K ? Also how do you turn off the "SERVICE" reminder yourself ?

To the best of my knowledge, doing the 6K/12K service yourself does not void the warranty provided that the work is done to the appropriate specs and that the materials used are the same that the dealer would use, i.e. BMW oil and oil filter, OEM air filter, etc.

I think they handle warranty issues on a case by case basis, and there are some anecdotal stories here in the archives of warranty claims being denied due to using, for example, different oil. They have much less cause for denying a claim if you have documented all the processes and materials used in the service.

The cost of the 6K vs. the 12K will vary only a bit, they're mostly the same with the exception of the change of air filter (literally a 2-minute job), change of transmission oil (maybe 10 minutes to do it right), final drive oil change (if you choose to do that, it's not mandatory) and the cost of those associated materials.

To reset the service warning yourself requires the purchase of a GS-911, which is the only aftermarket tool capable of doing so on the hexhead bikes. This is a spendy little tool, unfortunately - around $300. But it does do a lot more than just reset service warnings. I am currently in the process of writing up a GS-911 walkthrough for the technical subforum, at Semper_Fi's request. It should be published inside of a week, as soon as I can get it completed.

I paid $900 about two months ago for a 12K service and new Z6 Interacts to a dealer in the SF Bay Area. Bike is an '09 RT.

"Dealer" is a bit of a misnomer, because I'm sure I didn't get any deal on the tires, but he was convenient, and I trust the guy.

Off topic: With about 3k miles now on the Interacts, I like them. Hope they'll go 12k miles as the conventional Z6's did.

Back