• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lowering footpegs

R

Rtinger

Interested in you opinion of your lowered foot pegs

SUBURBAN sells theirs lowering pegs for half of the price of Wunderlich...is there any difference between the two?

I have a lowered suspension. I was wondering if anyone with a lowered suspension had installed a lowering foot peg, and how is that working out around the corners?
:lurk

'preciate your thoughts

Pegs

I have installed Suburban lowering pegs on an R1200RT both rider and passenger and on a R1200GSA and they go on easy and do an adequate job of giving me the additional leg room I wanted. They are strong as I use the pegs as steps getting on and off the GSA. I feel a good value for the price. I have installed Wunderlich parts and feel they are well made but pricey.

Nando..

It would be helpful if we knew the bike model/year - since what works on a GS might not work on an RT..

Good point deilenberger,

I have an R1200RT low suspension.

Did you have to move the shifter and rear brake pedal after installing the lower suspension peg???

WhiteRT-2.jpg

make sure the pegs are designed for your year of bike. i tried to take the lowering kit off of my 96 1100rt and put them on my 09 rt. the side stand hit them. i was told all pegs don't fit all bikes the same. i put pegs manufactured for an 09 and they work fine and don't hit anything.

The short version:

Put the Suburban lower-peg on. Drag the pegs like crazy. I took the little stub sticking out the bottom part of the pegs off....will see how that works out overtime...sure is more comfortable with the lowered pegs.

The long version:

I tried to install the lower peg parts the moron way; forty five minutes later I had managed to scrape the siding, break the little plastic casing that goes inside the pin and strain the spring. Once I figured out how to do the easy way, it took me 3 minutes to install the other side.

Can anyone shoot me pics/instruction on how to move the shifter one click down?

Please please, step by step with visuals...otherwise it goes over my head. I am a monkey-see-monkey-do mechanic.

Come to think of it, after the fact, I could have gotten a regular height RT just fine. I was afraid that the height of the bike was going to give me 'center-of-gravity' challenges. But I rode a friend and its not as bad as I thought....shoots!....anyways, the lower suspension is really nice..

Here is a very easy way to adjust the shifter that someone else on this forum offered up. You can probably search and find it. Look under the bike behind the plastic where the shifter mounts to the shaft. There is a screw that holds the shifter to the shaft. Remove the screw. Hold the shifter with your left hand and use your right hand to slide the shaft toward the center of the bike. There is enough slack in the linkage to allow the shaft to slide completely out of the shifter. Rotate the shifter down one spline and slide the shaft back in. Reinstall the screw. Go for a ride.

make sure the pegs are designed for your year of bike. i tried to take the lowering kit off of my 96 1100rt and put them on my 09 rt. the side stand hit them. i was told all pegs don't fit all bikes the same. i put pegs manufactured for an 09 and they work fine and don't hit anything.

I had the same problem with pistons once.

Now my problem is dragging....

I took off the little extender below the pegs because I hit them on normal turns...

I move the shifter but it is not at the option position that it was as stock. The line up now is a bit lower relatively speaking, so I gotta scoop my toes way under the upshift and it is more comfortable to downshift...

The other part is that going around the corner I hit the bottom front of my shoes because of the lowered height....I am beginning not to like this set up

Is there anyway to make the bike a little higher (remember: I have the low-suspension model already)

{snip}...Is there anyway to make the bike a little higher (remember: I have the low-suspension model already)

Let's see...

[NEWBIE_THOUGHTS]

1) You could always go back to the original pegs (and sell me the low ones!);
2) You could replace your shocks (kind of defeating the whole "low" thing);
3) You could replace your single bench with the OEM low and pillion AND go back to the original pegs;
4) <insert additional, more experienced, advice here>

[/NEWBIE_THOUGHTS]

I am inseam challenged and tried out both the low suspension/special low seat model and the regular model with the OEM low front seat. And, while I could flat-foot the low/low model, I was concerned about 2-up riding with the low suspension and by my wedding tackle being squeezed by that unique seat design. Obvioulsy, I opted for the standard model with the low front seat.

Now, with a few hundred miles on the clock, I am happy with my decision. I think that my original perceived need to be able to flatfoot the bike may have been less important than I thought at the time. The RT is so well balanced that I haven't felt concerned when coming to a stop.

However, I have yet to take the brains of the relationship for a ride. I admit to being a bit nervous about not flat-footing in 2-up mode. Time will tell.

So, the Sargent website (scroll toward the bottom of the page) has a listing of the parts you need to convert from the low bench to the separate two-seat arrangement. I have seen heated, low OEM front seats on eBay for $75.

This arrangement works for my 29" inseam has has kept my wedding tackle in perfect working order. (Too much information?) ;)

THEO,
Keep in touch, I may just sell those lower peg kit because I am beginning to miss throwing my bike into radical turns without being concerned about height.

How much?

That's it:

I am selling a set of lowering peg from Suburban Machine

PM me for infor

Just got them but they set the situation too low on the low suspension model I got...

Back