• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pennsylvania Liquor Laws

It never ceases to amaze me what a big deal we make of alcohol in this country. Such an immature culture are we.

When I was in Germany, I was told that one town would not let McDonalds open a restaurant until they finally agreed to sell beer. Yea, baby!!!:thumb:german

In New Hampshire the state owns the liquor stores and are the only ones that sell "hard" liquor. They sell wine also, but not beer.
Beer and wine is found anywhere: grocery store, KMart, 7-11...
And where are many of the NH State liquor stores...on the interstate highway...of course. :dunno

2825368379_79db4f1fc7.jpg

The most liberal drinking environment I ever found myself in was the Canadian Military. I attended the Canadian Command and General Staff College in Toronto. On our first day of the course my small group of 10 officers sat around a table introducing ourselves at 8 in the morning. As the first person was speaking the staff member in charge of our group (a Brit RAF Wing Commander) reached into his tunic and pulled out a pint of Scotch, poured a bit in his coffee and passed it to an adjacent student. Had this happened at the US Army equivalent course, careers would have ended; in Toronto it was a daily practice throughout the year.

Perfect for motorcycle riders.

ATBATT: All the beer, all the time!

I did not partake myself,at least until I was in for the night, but it is quite common to see riders enjoying a beer or wine with lunch.

But I don't think I ever saw riders just sitting at a bar and drinking drink after drink like you do here. They seem to have a different attitude toward drinking as part of a meal, like we do with soda or coffee here. Maybe because the beer has taste, not just fizzy alcohol, or their tendency to not drink a lot of beverages in general, one drink seems to satisfy them.

Or maybe the fact that they know the consequences of driving/riding drunk are severe, monetarily AND loss of driving privilege, so they are more careful about it.

Buying anything but 3.2 beer in Utah means a trip to the expensive state-owned liquor stores. Firecrackers and other contraband just aren't available, so lots of people stock up while visiting the surrounding states. This gives rise to some interesting specialty stores just over the state borders, like the one below in Evanston, Wyoming.

Liquor and explosives — yeah, what a great combination. :whistle

A year or two ago, one of these stores caught fire, and from what I hear, it was a pretty good show. The fire department just cleared the area and watched it burn from a safe distance.

Attachments

• evanstonlf2.jpg
    evanstonlf2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 108
Granite doesn't work for PGH. To be poetically correct, you'll have to use soft coal, coke or limestone. On second thought, use fists of steel and something else. Perhaps, work in a reference to a blast furnace........

Slag?

And then there is New Hampshire where the state runs a couple of enormous liquor stores in highway rest areas. I dunno why they don't sell firecrackers as well. Get the out-of-staters all fired up and then send them home...

... but it is quite common to see riders enjoying a beer or wine with lunch.

But I don't think I ever saw riders just sitting at a bar and drinking drink after drink like you do here. They seem to have a different attitude toward drinking as part of a meal, like we do with soda or coffee here. Maybe because the beer has taste, not just fizzy alcohol...

Not to mention that in much of Europe restaurant soda is served in smaller quantities and higher prices than beer. And don't get me started on the bottled water scam!

Back