• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Considering F800S

But I don't know or can't find any info on what that "on board computer" is or does? Is it just a glorified calculator?

I don't have an 800, but my R12R has the OBC. It provides:

reading of ambient air temperature
reading of average speed (manually resettable)
reading of average fuel consumption (manually resettable)
reading of miles to empty (not resettable; computer restarts when one resets
average fuel consumption

what that "on board computer" is or does? Is it just a glorified calculator? They make it sound like the holy grail.

Pretty sure if you want the tire pressure monitor [TPM] - you need the on board computer [OBC]. So that's in my opinion a very compelling a reason to get one. I use my TPM at the start of every ride to see where they are at and watch them warm up. TPM also alerts any significant drop while riding. That feature could alert you to a critical problem in advance of noticing compromised handling.

Next helpful OBC feature is detailed fueling info, average fuel consumption, miles to go on your tank, which in conjunction with the trip counters, are handy for estimating/planning fuel ups. I still do not trust my "miles to go" after running out twice with 20+ "miles to go" but I still use it for planning my fuel ups.

The clock and ambient temp are handy, but not crucial. The temp gauge does alert you to freezing road temps... the clock let's you know you're late.

The OBC also gives you a gear position indicator, which is helpful when you are trying to figure out if you mis-shifted up while in 5th or tried to go to 7th gear. :laugh

So, is the OBC a sacred object? No.
Does it have a function like a grail does for drinking liquid? Yep.

Best wishes and enjoy your ST!
-tp

Thanks for OBC info

I think the gear indicator is worth it right there. I can't remember how many shifts anymore, I can't remember anything! Who's counting? That makes me happy. The other stuff like gas mileage and simple math I can usually do in my head.

I will post photos next week as I am due to pick it up. I just called the dealer today to seal the deal.

Now how about a group hug? Just kidding! :hug

I don't have an 800, but my R12R has the OBC. It provides:

reading of ambient air temperature
reading of average speed (manually resettable)
reading of average fuel consumption (manually resettable)
reading of miles to empty (not resettable; computer restarts when one resets
average fuel consumption

not sure if same on the ST, but the OBC on my 8GS also reads current mpg. it's cool when i come upon a stop light, and see the OBC reading 199.99. :p if i feel like riding for mileage, its a nice toy to have.

I am seriously getting ready to purchase an 08 F800 ST with all the options on it bags, trunk, tank bag even. But I don't know or can't find any info on what that "on board computer" is or does? Is it just a glorified calculator? They make it sound like the holy grail.

I am a smaller female of a mature age so I was hopping Voni has some insight. I know you love this bike and it seems like the right size for us smaller ladies.

Also nice article about you in the last issue of ON!

Thanks!

The onboard computer actually gives you lots of info including temperature, tire air pressures, gas mileage, miles you have left to ride on each tank, two different trip meters, and warning lights if you have a light failure.

My S fits me so very well! It's a dream to ride!

Voni
sMiling

While on the topic of the OBC, it's worth mentioning that the 2011 F 800 ST with the OBC no longer has a range until empty function. This function has been replaced with a "distance traveled since the low fuel light" readout. Word is that any software updates performed to pre-2011 bikes will change the functionality to a count up from low fuel light as well.

after thinking about it, it makes sense -- mostly because I had the wrong idea about what it was reporting. :doh :p

-tp

I just rode my new to me '07 F800S home from Arkansas to Big Bend, TX so have about a thousand sMiles of experience with it.

I'm loving it. We took backroads most of the way so had it in tight twisties to dead flat straights and gusty winds, even some rain. Rocky just ate up the miles. One day of 500 miles tells me this is also a long distance machine. The airflow with the stock screen is such that it shield my body but lets my head be in the airstream.

Smooth. Quiet. Competent.

Voni
sMiling

Voni,

Just wondering what kind of helmet you are riding with? I find with my ST and my
Schuberth helmet, it was quite noisey. I added my Big Ear plugs and that was much better but sometimes the plugs give me that stuffy feeling in the ears.

I would not describe my ride as quiet. I am debating a Parabelum windscreen for longer rides. They also claim huge improvement in MPG's.

Sorry for the highjacking...

Voni,

Just wondering what kind of helmet you are riding with? I find with my ST and my
Schuberth helmet, it was quite noisey. I added my Big Ear plugs and that was much better but sometimes the plugs give me that stuffy feeling in the ears.

I would not describe my ride as quiet. I am debating a Parabelum windscreen for longer rides. They also claim huge improvement in MPG's.

Sorry for the highjacking...

Now that i have 40K sMiles on this bike, I'm loving it even more. I'm the kind that always wears earplugs and my Scorpion helmet is really pretty quiet. The stock windscreen gives me fine protection and cooling breeze when it's hot.

I usually get 60 mpg so I'm not sure how much improvement an aftermarket screen could give.

Works for me, but whatever it takes . . .

Voni
sMiling

PB- is your Schuberth quiet on other bikes? i have friends that have used Schuberths, and have complained about the excessive noise factor. maybe its the helmet, not the bike?

Back