• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2010 1200RT - Lowered Foot Pegs

Old Rider - OK Mechanic
Has anyone lowered the foot pegs on a 21010 RT. If so where did you get the parts and were there any special issues in the installation.

Ver Holen

I mounted a set I had laying around that came off of my 07 GT. On the good side they have a wider range of positions and are not the one position fits all type. On the bad side I couldn't get the spring to work with them. They definitely made the riding position more comfortable for me.

On my GT I didn't have any problems with cornering clearance but then again I removed the small black curb feeler from the bottom of the foot pegs. It gives you back some of the ground clearance you lost by lowering the pegs.

I've got the Suburban Machine kit on order and will give it a try when it arrives. I'm also going to be installing there Bar-Back Riser kit and will report back when I get everything mounted. I plan on using the earlier style BMW GPS mount as I feel the newer dashboard mount looks like it might be to far for my old eyes to see.:scratch:scratch:scratch

Ride Safe,
P

I have the Suburban kit on my 07. Under the assumption that it will be the same on a 2010, you use all the original equipment. The kit provides a machined part that lowers the original pegs. You will have to adjust the shifter and brake pedal. Neither is hard, but my brake is at the limit of it's adjustment range.

I have the Suburban kit on my 07. Under the assumption that it will be the same on a 2010, you use all the original equipment. The kit provides a machined part that lowers the original pegs. You will have to adjust the shifter and brake pedal. Neither is hard, but my brake is at the limit of it's adjustment range.

Thanks for yor assistance everyone..

I know the dealer did this for you, but did they have to replace anything other than the foot pegs?, like the shift lever or brake pedal ?

Actually they use the stock foot pegs and remount them with the lowering bracket. I initially ordered a shift lever extender, but decided that I didn't need it, so I never put them on. The brake lever is stock. Both can be adjusted to some extent. But, I just found that if I move my feet a little bit differently, they both work fine. I was concerned that the lever extenders would be in my way when my feet are at rest.

I also got the bar-back risers when I ordered the bike. The location of the stock handle bars was too uncomfortable for me. Both of these upgrades work well and are very well made. My next investment will probably be a new seat. Then the bike will be "just right".

My dealer installed the peg lowering kit on my '06 at the 600 mile service and I never found it necessary to reset the pedals. I had little trouble adjusting to the new shifting position and since I rarely use the brake pedal (see threads on partially linked brakes), it wasn't an issue.

With a low seat and aging knees, I strongly recommend the lowered pegs.

Tom

Suburban Machinery on my '09 RT. Did it myself. Easy job. Adjusted the shifter down one spline notch and the brake was really very easy to adjust. Much much better riding position.

It is easiest if you take no shortcuts on the shifter side. Remove the lower trim panels as instructed they are very easy to remove and replace. Everything is very accessible once they are removed. You do need an E8 socket though which is a reverse socket to lossen the shifter as I remember.

I am on an ESA bike (ESA is not available with low suspension bikes I believe) with the standard stock seat in the low position. I am about 6' AND A 32" inseam. the lower pegs are a huge improvement.

Back