• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Texas: Registration/Mechanic's Lien questions

M

mchaven

Hey guys,

I've got a few questions about liens/registration in Texas. My bike was left at my dad's shop several years ago. The guy never returned to pick up the bike after hearing about the cost to restore it. It became the shop's property and my dad bought it from the shop at auction. He tried to contact the customer however all the contact information didn't match up. It was the address and phone for someone else. My dad does not have the title for the bike either, so its another hitch in the process.

We spent last summer restoring the bike and I rode with my dad on his dealer tags that summer. My bike has been in storage since January because it isn't registered and doesn't have plates.

My dad's secretary is supposedly taking care of all this crap but its been several months and I'm getting incredibly frustrated waiting. I need to ride!
Is there anything I can do to get the title transferred into my name, or get the bike registered quick? The bike is insured, I've got the VIN, its passed inspection as well.

I'm just really wanting to ride since the weather has been perfect the last few days and it is incredibly frustrating to not get out there. So, anyone know the process or a loophole or something?

Thanks
Mick

You need to apply for a duplicate title, based on the VIN# and past registration. They you will need to go down to the license office with your proof of purchase and try to explain the situation to them. Good luck!

Well, went down to the Nacogdoches court house today. Amazing how small town county offices are so much better than the one in Houston.

Anyway, I also finally got a straight answer out of the shop's secretary. In the case of a mechanic's lien, the registration office sends inquiries to the previous registered addresses. When those return with the bike unclaimed, you wait 30 days, then the title cane be transferred into your name (if you also have insurance, signed work order, and certain forms). Supposedly, those inquiries will be returning today or tomorrow and then we can begin the 30 day wait to get my freaking title. Another month! This sucks but at least its progress!

once you get the title... make SURE it has no previous lien listed.. if it does, spend the $ to get a totally clear one...yes.. it is a well oiled racket.

Is your dad's secretary available to sell a bike for me in NYC?

Back