• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New BMW RT Comfort Seat

That's what is looks like.

Here's the seat height spec's for each type of seat;

Standard Seat: 820/840mm
Comfort Seat: 785mm
Two-piece low: 780/800mm
One-piece low: 768mm
Lowered suspension with one-piece: 750mm

Thanks for these height numbers. My concern about the great-looking new Comfort Seat is that it's almost 1.5" lower than my standard two-piece seat is at the "low" setting. Unfortunately, my knees are just not going to tolerate that level of "fold". I am suspicious of the after-market, so I guess I'll just have to continue waiting for BMW to make a seat that fits me...:violin

Height is one factor, but what about width?

If I could ask a favor, what are the width measurements of the seating surface (the top surface only, as would be seen in a top-down view) at the following locations:

a) the front portion by the tank;
2) the measured middle of the front seat portion;
III) the rear of the front portion of the seat.

Even though the comfort seat is 5mm taller than the low seat, the width also plays a factor -- you know, that "leg curve" thing!

TIA

It's not leather!

For $686.00 , and it's not even leather! Man they are proud! :laugh

No thank you!

Leon

Height is one factor, but what about width?

If I could ask a favor, what are the width measurements of the seating surface (the top surface only, as would be seen in a top-down view) at the following locations:

a) the front portion by the tank;
2) the measured middle of the front seat portion;
III) the rear of the front portion of the seat.

Even though the comfort seat is 5mm taller than the low seat, the width also plays a factor -- you know, that "leg curve" thing!

TIA

I bought one expensive as it was. Tried the Sargent, only marginally better.
It's really not an issue since it's a bit lower and tapered like the standard seat. The back of the seat is definitely wider.

I used to get bad hot spots from the OEM seat within an hour of riding. The comfort seat is far more comfortable in that respect, no more hot spots, not even a hint. For me it's a keeper. A peg lowering kit may be in the future - although only being 5' 9" but blessed with a 32" inseam, it's just a bit more cramped and sets your position a bit more forward. My backside doesn't ache anymore and no more squirming to find relief and a better position.

Being more forward and slightly lower in the seat I find my cornering is quicker, easier and more confident.

Pros
  • Far more comfortable
  • Slighty lower compared to the Standard seat in the low position
Cons
  • Pricey
  • Slightly lower (for the long legged and compact position)
  • A bit more forward ride position (a peg lowering kit may help this and the previous situation)

Man I do like the look of that seat!! The price scares me though. Do you think warranty will pay for a new one because the old one is defective?:nyah

Man I do like the look of that seat!! The price scares me though. Do you think warranty will pay for a new one because the old one is defective?:nyah

I think you know the answer to that one - it's not the seat that's defective, it's the nut between the seat and the handlebars. :)

I do question naming one seat the "Comfort Seat" - making the others by default the "Un-Comfort Seats".. but that's prolly just something lost in translation. :dance

So far I have been happy with my stock seat. It's funny they would name it the "Comfort Seat". I think I will just keep my stock "Un- Comfort" seat for now. A back rest does sound nice.

Comfort seat

I'd appreciate hearing comments regarding passenger comfort on this seat, and if they tend to slide forward at all (it looks like pillion portion is canted slightly forward). Have any drivers done full day or multi-day trips yet? If so, was comfort a mileage-limiting factor? IE did hot spots eventually develop?

Comfort Seat

I put one on my 09 RT and am now back to the stock seat came from a Gold Wing to the RT and liked the big wide seat for an old fat man such as myself. The comfort seat is wide almost as wide as my Wing seat but pushes me to far forward did I mention old fat man. So I went back to the Stock seat to be able to back away from the tank some and now back to tip toeing so itg is a trade off the comfort seat does lower me down but at the expense of Belly room. It does put me right where I'd like to be hieght wise. The issue with the seat design of the RT is to go down in hieght you also have to slide forward. If the seat would go straight down I ould be able to touch easy enough and have belly room :) So for now the Comfort seat is just setting there nice and wide and the right hieght but not on the bike bummer...

I'd still like to know where in California the comfort seat can be bought for $599, as Jack did. I can't find it for less than $686. Please, no replies about Chicago BMW.

I'd still like to know where in California the comfort seat can be bought for $599, as Jack did. I can't find it for less than $686. Please, no replies about Chicago BMW.

What is wrong with Chicago BMW?

D it!

D! Another good upgrade option for our RTs that is expensive.

I am still on my OEM stock seat and trying to like it. Not too bad but not as good as the Corbin seats on my last 2 Honda bikes (ST1100 & ST1300ABS).

tsp
2010 R1200RT with stock seat
PS: Ahhh... does that new comfort seat come heated also? :)

Even at $686 list price, this seat appears to be the best bang for the buck for those who wish to ride 300+ miles per day.

Even at $686 list price, this seat appears to be the best bang for the buck for those who wish to ride 300+ miles per day.

I have to disagree. I think for that price I would leave the seat making to the proÔÇÖs. I opted for a Russell seat and feel they would have much more experience in what makes a seat comfortable. You can buy a custom seat from Russell, Bill Mayer, and Rick Mayer for about the same price. Although this is my first BMW, I have heard so many complaints about the stock seat. ItÔÇÖs hard for me to believe that BMW has much experience in what makes a comfortable seat.

Back