• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Chatterbox microphone noise

J

JOECUBANA

I have a Chatterbox Tandem pro intercom system. It has the helmet speakers and microphones for full face helmets. Above 40 mph the wind noise gets to be too much.

Has anyone else encountered this and found a quick fix, or should I stick the whole setup on E-Bay and get something more sophisticated. :dunno

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

JC

I had a Chatterbox bag unit for a few years, and had the same problem. I've now switched to Autocom and love it. I bought it at the '03 nationals. Get ready to spend more bucks though. :uhoh

Good luck!

I had the same problem. I use my Chatterbox in a Shoei RF800 and the mic was too far from my mouth. I found that getting the thing right up to my mouth helped my riding buddies hear me. They always complained that I sounded like I was in a wind tunnel. I used two pieces of stick on velcro and a piece of plastic about 1/4 inch thick to move the mic closer. Worth a try before chuckin it.

I have two chatterbox units in a box in the garage somewhere.

My Autocom works great, CB, Cell phone and intercom are all good. I hear it works even better with the FRS or the newer radios. A bit pricey, but well worth the cost.

I used to be able to barely hear my lady at highway speed with the chatterbox. Back roads at smell the roses pace it worked well. The intercom was OK, but my kids never really got used to triggering the mic, so I always lost the begining of what they said.

What is cool with the Autocom is the Pax can talk over the Cell phone, or two wat radio too. Calling home to let Mom know they are still alive is good.

Joecubana said:
I have a Chatterbox Tandem pro intercom system. It has the helmet speakers and microphones for full face helmets. Above 40 mph the wind noise gets to be too much.

Has anyone else encountered this and found a quick fix, or should I stick the whole setup on E-Bay and get something more sophisticated. :dunno

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

JC

JC, (nice initials)

perhaps finding a way to shield the mic from the air will help. the suggestion of getting the mic close to your mouth is a good one. i've got a pilot buddy, and when we fly, we have to put the mic essentially touching our lips and then it works flawlessly.

The microphone is going to pickup what is closest to it. So put the microphone as close to your lips as possible. If you remember the old musicians they used to have to get right up on top of the microphone just to get heard over the rest of the band, same idea. As close as possible and centered.

One company that makes headset microphones recommends that it be almost like you are kissing it.

I have a tandem pro you can have. I have autocom now and the vox is adjustable, where as the tandem pro wasn't. I found the cords to be flimsy and the wires too dang small for that type of use. You will go autocom if you are serious about an intercom. I wrote chatterbox 3 times asking about the warranty and never got a reply.

BradfordBenn said:
One company that makes headset microphones recommends that it be almost like you are kissing it.

to be clear, it should be a 'mother-in-law' kiss, not a 'i can't wait to get you back to my place' kiss. ;)

Thanks for the thoughts.....

I'm going to try moving the mike closer and see if I can salvage some investment. (of course, I can't get my wife on the back of the bike now that 'Rounder season has started, although she says sometimes she would just rather have the peace than talk to me that much!).

I'll let you know how it goes

JC

You might want to look at IntaRide as well

Hi,

Another choice in a high quality intercom/radio system is by IntaRide. I recently purchased an RP-1 Intercom system with FRS/GMRS radio. This was a complete kit with two headsets, MP3/CD player cord, cell phone cord, very heavy duty headset extension cord (coiled with banana plug, easy to release connectors), auto adjusting VOX, 12v bike power cable, and one additional input for either radar detector or GPS (or both with a splitter), all for $260.00. The FRS/GMRS kit was $190.00, and included all cabling, a PTT button and a choice of either NiMh batter and charger or 12V adapter. I am very happy with my system, and works very well even at high speed. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to post pics of my installation and/or more details.

The company is out of the UK, they are at http://www.intaride.com, and their US distributor (where I bought my system) is at http://www.cycle-stuff.com.

John

Back