• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ohio's Triple Nickel -- one way to Beemerville

The Veg said:
Oh, and how is speed enforcement in Ohio these days?

Ohio Troopers are tough. They patrol constantly along the I-71 corridor, especially between Cincinatti and Columbus. DAMHIK (actually a very funny story that ends with me *not* getting nailed and someone else getting total justice...)

Dunno about the local police, my only experience is near Mid-Ohio and they're great.

Ian

Yeah ...

Visian said:
Ohio Troopers are tough.
Ian

Especially if you happen to have Michigan license plates! And especially during football season. Good thing the rally is in July.

:drink

I live in SE Ohio about 15 minutes from Rt. 555, but haven't been on it in quite some time, I must admit. Will have to get out there this spring to post a pre-rally road report. Other than 555, there are a number of fantastic roads here in SE Ohio to check out...the previously mentioned Rt. 26 out of Marietta is really beautiful, as is Rt. 56 out of Athens going into Hocking Hills, Rt. 356, and all of the Hocking Hills region.

As for law enforcement here, you definitely need to be wary on main highways. Back roads are not an issue, but the deer are more of a speed-limiter than the police. Best to keep speeds down, especially toward evening.
Would be happy to provide suggestions and directions to all coming through!

Us 33

As GSrobin said. The main highways are patrolled much more frequently. US 33, I-70, etc. Be careful near Nelsonville, because sometimes they use aircraft to patrol speeding.

The backroads have deer, and there are a lot of blind corners. It always seems like there are corners just over a small hill.

555 can be interesting, with occasional gravel, deer, and blind corners so going real fast is pretty tough to do.

Another thumbs up on 800 :thumb

Ohio speed limits

The Veg said:
I'm looking forward to these roads as well, although I'm expecting them to be impossibly crowded with Beemers. Hmmmm.....

Oh, and how is speed enforcement in Ohio these days? Not that I condone exceeding posted limits mind you (The Veg says as he crosses fingers behind his back), but I do recall that they used to joke about Ohio being the only state that had the death penalty for speeding.

Heading to Daytona Bike Week in '01 I got a speeding ticket in Ohio and another one coming back (in Ohio)! Both on I-75 and 10 over, which I was very near. The first one was kinda dirty in that I was passing 3 semi's close together. I bought a good radar detector after that.

"We gotta go", "Where are we goin' man?", "I don't know but we gotta go"
Jack Kerouac 'On The Road'

jerryb

jerryb said:
Heading to Daytona Bike Week in '01 I got a speeding ticket in Ohio and another one coming back (in Ohio)! Both on I-75 and 10 over

I've ridden Rt 555 from the Ohio River north. I don't think that it is possible to speed on this road - at least for me it's not. I believe that the speed limit is mostly 45 mph, although given the sharp curves that follow quick drop offs and squashed animals and gravel, I much prefer a speed of 35 to 40 mph.

Ian was correct in saying that the Ohio Ride Guide video is a great way to find good motorcycle roads. See:
http://www.ohiorideguide.com/

I wonder is other states have similar resources?

robsmoto said:
I've ridden Rt 555 from the Ohio River north. I don't think that it is possible to speed on this road - at least for me it's not. I believe that the speed limit is mostly 45 mph, although given the sharp curves that follow quick drop offs and squashed animals and gravel, I much prefer a speed of 35 to 40 mph.QUOTE]

It is a great road to get a great bike ride workout (mental from the constant scanning and awareness and physical for the constant turning). Watch out for the top of the hill stop about half way through. Last time I road it south to north and then back from zanesville, and I darn near flipped the bike trying to gently coast up that stop. :nono

Second the question about other states (besides California) having sites with nice MC roads.

800...And it connects with Ohio 26...

Had the great pleasure to ride 800 and 26 Tuesday of this week while on our way home from the Shiloh TN Rally. Simply superb. If I don't get a chance to ride anymore bendy roads this year I would be content to the MAX having had the opportunity of riding those two gems.:thumb

Thanks to Jim Ford at Bob's BMW for reminding me about Ohio 26. Happened across it late last year and can't explain misplacing it but Jim was kind enough to remind me while my wife was having a tire spooned on at Bob's.

I'm proud to be a Buckeye, now that said, there is this other road I know that is longer and just as interesting. Route 800 from the Ohio River too just south of Canton. Like any of the Ohio routes through the Appalachian foothills the ridge running is fabulous. Beware of the Armco barriers on some of the sides though. How those bike racers faced all that steel back in the day is amazing to me. If the road has been paved in the last two years it can be heaven if not ride with a little more care.

Route 800, but you didn't here it from me!

I've ridden Rt 555 from the Ohio River north. I don't think that it is possible to speed on this road - at least for me it's not. I believe that the speed limit is mostly 45 mph, although given the sharp curves that follow quick drop offs and squashed animals and gravel, I much prefer a speed of 35 to 40 mph.

Ian was correct in saying that the Ohio Ride Guide video is a great way to find good motorcycle roads.
I think most of 555 is actually defaulted to 55 mph; not that it matters. It is tough to exceed 60 here unless you really try on the few short straights.

I was a little surprised and pleased to see some of the other Ohio roads mentioned here and in the guide. OH 800 (used to be 8, which it still is, north of Akron) runs a couple of blocks from where my folks live (and I grew up). Two of my schools were on 8(00) and I still drive it often. For a nice diversion, run OH 416 from just south of the Dover Dam over the hill and into New Phila on North Broadway. This stretch, known as 'Seven Mile Drive', is really only about half that because it refers to a 7-mile circuit through Dover and back to the beginning at Wabash Avenue (right beside Woody Hayes Quaker Stadium). Follow N. Broadway into town and you'll have your choice of hitting OH 39, US 250 (see below), or OH 800 again. If you're headed to Columbus, stay on 416 until you hit 36, south of Tuscarawas.

Ohio 39 runs east-west through the same city (New Philadelphia) from Carrollton to the east and on out into Amish country on the west. Eventually, you can get pretty close to Mid Ohio. The stretch between Dover and Sugarcreek was 'upgraded' some years ago since a lot of fatalities (I've known a couple) occurred on those hilly curves. Now you can see the old road paralleling the new one - and winding from one side to the other. Unfortunately, the fun of the original was lost since you have to constantly stop to cross the new one.

I've ridden 93 and 751 (New Phila toward Stonecreek & beyond) as well, since they're in the same area. One road I am a little surprised hasn't been mentioned is US 250, south from Wayne county through West Virginia and on to D.C., IIRC. Another southeast Ohio road on which it is very hard to break the speed limit ... but you might see your own taillights. :thumb

Back