• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Old bags.....and old racks

D

DWR302

Recently got a '76 R75/6 and would like to put period correct hard bags on it. I found a rack on Ebay. I think there are a couple of docking systems but I am not clear on the details. Don't want to buy the wrong bags. I think this rack uses the seatbelt type latch and that I need the shackles that bolt to the four tabs on the back. I have been told that another docking type could be used if the tabs are removed. Can y'all give me the airhead hardbag 101?

Attachments

• rack 001.jpg
    rack 001.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 242
Rack

That rack looks like it could hold the type of bags on my 85 R80 RT bags ( Touring Case, with the added rear rack) My suggestion would be go to Max BMW web sight and look at the parts catalog and find your bike. My /5 has some aftermarket bags that open up from the top. Not sure who made them but they work and look time period correct. Does look like the rack I had on my 78 R100/7 with the Krauser Bags. Boy you sure have a lot of snow in Florida or is that picture from Wisconsin? Good luck:browKevin

I think in that configuration, it would be able to hold the clamp style (later) bags.

Add the seatbelt piece, and you could add the period Krausers.

Same one too;

R100/7 here has that rack. Only thing missing is the plates that latch the saddlebags and thats the two bolt holes on each side you see. Wish mine was chrome! I think Hepco Becker still sells the period bags and they're about 400$. This may be old $$$ information. Randy:thumb

I've got this same rack, originally in chrome, and the Krauser bags that went with them...However, I blasted 'em and painted 'em semi-gloss black to match my frame. Didn't want them to stand out, especially since the rest of the bike is blacked out, and I don't install the bags most of the time.

Thanks for the input guys. As I understand it the rack I have will work with bags that have the seatbelt type latch and also the type that hooks around the aft verticle bar. Saw this demonstated on an 80's bike at the Grand Rapids shop the other day. The hooks on the bag go right between the tabs on the rack that are provided for the other system. So the tabs don't have to be removed. Of course I couldnt talk the dealer out of those used bags.

Thanks for the input guys. As I understand it the rack I have will work with bags that have the seatbelt type latch and also the type that hooks around the aft verticle bar. Saw this demonstated on an 80's bike at the Grand Rapids shop the other day. The hooks on the bag go right between the tabs on the rack that are provided for the other system. So the tabs don't have to be removed. Of course I couldnt talk the dealer out of those used bags.

Thats the system I have...works fine and yes, the tabs can stay...

Back