• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MEXICO: Wanna go?

Hey, I'm the guy that DOES GO! to Mexico. The cargo thing is NOT just a border problem and thats one reason it caught my eye. No, I have never had a problem there -except for my bike being tipped over in Zimipan one evening , while in a restaurant. MotoTours go to that same town, but I think they stay out at a place in the country.
I am currently reading "Dreaming of Jupiter", Ted Simon's book of his second world trip@ age 69/70 and he mentions the exceptionally high murder rate in Oaxaca . I spent a week there(lived with Mexican family) and had zero sense of danger and walked around late @ night,etc.. One night, eg., I was sitting in a square, where ice cream makers gather and sell @ tables. I was with a Mexican family that I met in Dominos off the Zocolo and (@ their families Ice cream place) and the Governor of Oaxaca walked by, with his wife on a stroll and out for a treat. I would think he knows where to hang out,etc..I am of the opinion that he(Ted Simon & the Gov. too) is/are literate and fairly reliable person/s , so they probably know what he was saying. His book is in the time frame of 2001 as he writes. As to govt. warnings, they have a tendency to be taken with a "grain of salt" for me.
In the area where I live, people feel immune to much of what ails our USA crimewise, but as one that worked in prisons and has much experience in juvenile justice, it is a fact that there in no place in the USA that is free from the effects of drug stuff.Sure, there are "high crime" areas, but good to know where it is worse.
As one with a practiced eye for "bad" , I see it lots in Mexico and here in USA too. Also good to say, that we must live our lives and move on, but is OK too, to talk about this issue , so we learn where it is safer/safest and so on.

Back