• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery Charger

Then why are some of us using that battery in our BMWs?

Do you think the minimum charge rate is 6A for our charging systems?

I never did get a good explanation of their "minimum charge rate" from Odyssey.

Thank you Alex for sharing your vast knowledge on this thread. I've learned quite a bit.

Then why are some of us using that battery in our BMWs?

Do you think the minimum charge rate is 6A for our charging systems?

I never did get a good explanation of their "minimum charge rate" from Odyssey.

The first one is easy.
If a customer gets bad service life from the OE batt in their uber expensive m/c, and the OEM replacement is $150, and the m/c factory charger/maintainer that they "should have been using" is $150 but looks just like a $40 BT, then they'll probably look elsewhere. Figuring the "best" you can get is a 680 for $130, why not?
I'll take a stab @ the second one.
I know the bike's alternator will have way more than 6A surplus to recharge the batt. But from Odds. battery charger curve (in their app. manual), the batt. will take all the current available in the bulk charge phase (under 80% SOC) until the charge potential is up to 14.7V (@ 25*C), then the charger holds (regulates) this 14.7V while the absorption current tapers down to some low level. I don't know if the bike's alternator will regulate @ 14.7V (w/ lights, ign., and injectors running), so if not, a partially discharged (<80% SOC?) may not get the chance (time) to be fully recharged to 100% SOC (12.84 VOC).
But I'm just guessing.

I'll take a stab @ the second one.

The charging systems in our bikes do not have a "bulk mode" where the current is limited (other than the 50A limit of the alternator).

The oilhead voltage regulator, at least mine, limits to 14.2V max. I have never seen it exceed that.

The charge current to the battery will be based on the state of charge of the battery. That is why the current in the "absorbtion mode" tapers off as the battery reaches the voltage set by the charger...usually 14.2 to 14.4V.

So if anyone thinks their Odyssey battery is being charged at the minimum required 6A that Odyssey recommends...sorry, but it ain't happening on their motorcycle while in use.

If I get around to it, I'd like to get to the bottom of their "minimum charge rate" recommendation/requirement. My guess is its more advertizing than anything...people like batteries that can be charged in no time. In our case, that is of insignificant importance; on a yacht where batteries are deep cycled, its nice to be able to charge them quickly as a matter of convenience.

Thank you, Vern. The list was helpful and I am ordering a Odyssey OMAX-6A-1B today. I found one online for about $60.

The Odyssey chargers look like re-branded Schumacher chargers, whoever makes them.

These battery charger manufacturers/resellers are very sly. Neither the Odyssey or Schumacher, Battery Tender sites provide any real specifications unless you call length, width, height and weight...specifications. :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

We tested two Schumacher chargers at work. I'd buy one if I needed a paperweight.

. . . So if anyone thinks their Odyssey battery is being charged at the minimum required 6A that Odyssey recommends...sorry, but it ain't happening on their motorcycle while in use. . .
Isn't the 6A only recommended by Odyssey for batteries that are discharged - not necessary under normal operating conditions?

Batteries are not my forte, but I'm learning and I appreciate reading all the info from you guys that obviously know a great deal more about the subject than I do. TIA

Isn't the 6A only recommended by Odyssey for batteries that are discharged - not necessary under normal operating conditions?

I sent them an e-mail requesting an explanation.

I think its more of an eye-catcher for sales...the charge-our-batteries-faster-than-any-other-battery type of thing. Not important to me unless I owned a yacht.

Batteries are not my forte, but I'm learning and I appreciate reading all the info from you guys that obviously know a great deal more about the subject than I do. TIA

All the info is available on the web, but since I've been working with batteries and chargers at work for over a year, I've come across a lot of information that I have bookmarked and saved.

I don't know if anyone on here is a battery expert...I hated chemistry in school (I'm a math and physics type). Maybe someone could explain why AGM batteries dislike "ripple voltage" while charging; what does it have an effect on?

The charging systems in our bikes do not have a "bulk mode" where the current is limited (other than the 50A limit of the alternator).
The oilhead voltage regulator, at least mine, limits to 14.2V max. I have never seen it exceed that.
The charge current to the battery will be based on the state of charge of the battery. That is why the current in the "absorbtion mode" tapers off as the battery reaches the voltage set by the charger...usually 14.2 to 14.4V.
So if anyone thinks their Odyssey battery is being charged at the minimum required 6A that Odyssey recommends...sorry, but it ain't happening on their motorcycle while in use.QUOTE]
I copied the following from pp 14 of the Oddyssey Battery Manual:
"Standard internal combustion engine alternators with an
output voltage of 14.2V can also charge these batteries.
The inrush current does not need to be limited under
constant voltage charge. However, because the typical
alternator voltage is only 14.2V instead of 14.7V, the
charge times will be longer than those shown in Table 6."
Table 6 shows a charge time of 1 hr. to recharge the PC680 (from 100% discharged state) using 20A, 14.7V regulated.
I wish I knew how to insert the pdf of the manual here, but I'm not too computer savy, so you'll have to bring it up from Oddyssey's website.

Last edited:
I sent them an e-mail requesting an explanation.

I think its more of an eye-catcher for sales...the charge-our-batteries-faster-than-any-other-battery type of thing. Not important to me unless I owned a yacht.

Please share their response with us, Alex. I still don't understand Odyssey's rationale to support their 6A minimum requirement/recommendation other than charging speed; but again, my knowledge on the subject is very limited.

I think I could have gotten away with a CTEK 3300 and benefitted from its portability...oh, well.

Odyssey's reason for minimum charge rate battery chargers - their response...
Hello Alexander:

Thin plate pure lead (TPPL) batteries like the Odyssey have a much denser oxide than conventional lead calcium AGM batteries. Because of this TPPL batteries require a higher charge current in cycling applications where the charge times are limited to 6-8 hours at most. Typically this minimum is about 40% of the battery's amp-hour capacity. Since the PC680 is a 16Ah battery, that translates into a minimum charge current of 6.4A. Charging at 10% or 20% of the battery's rating will cause the battery to lose capacity pretty quickly, unless the recharge times are significantly longer than 6-8 hours, which essentially makes the application a non-cyclic one.

A key point here is that this minimum amp requirement applies only if the application will deep cycle (>50% depth of discharge) the battery. If the DOD is consistently less than 50% or if the battery will be used as a backup power source the charge current may be lowered.

Thanks.
Kalyan Jana
Development Support Manager - Specialty Markets
Desk: (660) 429-7505
Cell: (816) 308-1543
Fax: (660) 429-1758
www.enersys.com

So for our applications, it does not apply.

What the heck does that mean in plain English? :doh

If their batteries are deep cycled where the depth of discharge is greater than 50%, then their minimum charge rate applies.

Automotive and motorcycle batteries do not undergo those conditions. If they are down more than a few percent, its because someone left them parked for longer periods of time without connecting a charger/maintainer or they left a high current draw device on such as headlights.

So what they are saying, you do not need to use a minimum 6A charger for your PC680 battery during normal use...at least not the way we are using them.

Thanks Alex. Sounds like my BTJr. is good enough for keeping my battery in good order.

Thanks Alex. Sounds like my BTJr. is good enough for keeping my battery in good order.

As long as it limits at 14.7V.

I'd be concerned that the battery might not be fully charged which is why I'd like some control of the charging algorithm...say keep it at 14.7V till the current tapers off to near nothing before it transitions over to maintenance mode. Chargers usually set that point at 10% of the rated charger current, and in case it does not reach that, it times out after a few hours.

I have a TW200 that I ride very little. I took it with me to Bonneville Speed Week, then put it on the BT-jr when I got home. Went to go ride it a while ago & found 0V. Seems the battery is very low on water & checking with a DVM, had no charge at all. I'm going to try to add water & bring it back, but wouldn't its current condition be the result of an overcharge boiling all of the water out?

I'm going to try to add water & bring it back, but wouldn't its current condition be the result of an overcharge boiling all of the water out?

A flooded lead acid battery can dry out (very slowly) just being exposed to hot temperatures.

But battery overcharging due to an incorrectly regulating voltage regulator or one that has failed will certainly do it. How fast will depend on the voltage.

Top up the battery and place it on a slow charge at less than 1A. Monitor the battery voltage; hopefully it will make it to 14.4V.

Once you get your TW200 started, check the voltage across the battery when it is running at a few thousand RPM. With a fully charged and healthy battery in the TW200, you should see 14.2 to 14.4V.

The trouble is, although you may have a functioning voltage regulator at 27C, it probably overcharges the battery during your hot CA summers.

We have a TW200 and Kaw KL250 Sherpa. Both have tiny wet batteries. I don't keep the maintainer chargers on these bikes for long periods of time. I keep the chargers plugged in to a switched outlet and give them a few- hour shot every couple of weeks or so. Turn the switch on and come back in a few hours - charger lights are green so I shut them off.

In the old days with a dumb charger the bikes all got 24 hours at 2 amps once a month unless ridden in the meantime.

Back