• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How Fast is "Faster"?

Over the past weekend I was reading the latest brochure from BMW that shows the specifications of all the different models. At the bottom there was a paragraph about the R1100S Boxer Cup Prep (what I ride). It said that the bike was "lighter and faster" in comparison to the standard R1100S, I assume.
Because I will most likley never find out from firsthand experience, has anyone else either heard or found out for themselves what the top speed is on a Boxer Cup Prep model? BMW prints top speed for the R1100S as 140, which I believe to be accurate based on Motorcycle Consumer News test of the original model which they clocked at 139.
I realize it's somewhat trivial, but I must say I'm now curious as to how fast is "faster".

have seen just beyond...

an indicated 140mph on my prep before i let up. had my first stock w/ ABS up to an indicated 155mph going down a large bridge in varina. i would not assume the prep is any "faster" aside from about 15-20lbs lighter due to the lack of ABS.

repoe3

Assuming the bike has enough power to pull redline in top gear, the top speed would be limited by the rev limiter. I'd take any reading from the speedometer with a big grain of salt. So I wonder what the "theoretical" top speed is? Would it really do 155?

Pat

Reddog99 said:
Assuming the bike has enough power to pull redline in top gear, the top speed would be limited by the rev limiter. I'd take any reading from the speedometer with a big grain of salt. So I wonder what the "theoretical" top speed is? Would it really do 155?

Pat

I've read that 10% tire slippage is common at high speeds, which would take 15 mph right off the top, putting the top speed at ~140, which seems about right.

Hmm. Has anyone done this with a GPS onboard? That would seem the reasonable way to nail down the mph issue.

Keep in mind this question was posted by someone who has never been over 120 - 125 mph on any motorcycle.

Rick (if I raise my head to peek at the GPS, will the wind snap it off?) in AL

Back