• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Name the forum/engine contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many heads around here. :rofl

How about "Slightly Improved 2010 Hex With A Different Paint Job."

"We trained hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. Presumably the plans for our employment were being changed. I was to learn later in life that, perhaps because we are so good at organizing, we tend as a nation to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization."
Charlton Ogburn 1911-1998, from Merrill's Marauders.

Easy :german

Last edited:
Buy a Harley if you want a stupid name.

Why must every engine in the US have some stupid name. It's a DOHC two cylinder, not twin, horizontally opposed air/oil cooled engine. Use the designation BMW gives it. 1200HP or "HP".

Name for new 4 cam boxer

"V-head"

Vier is four in German. Shorten to V for easy usage in English speaking countries.

Maybe I'm slow on the uptake, but are we simply talking about naming a new forum that will deal solely with wrenching etc. on the soon-to-be-introduced 2010 Boxers, i.e., RT, GS and eventually other models?

If the answer is yes, I suggest we call it: Camheads

If the answer is no, then never mind.

Camhead came to mind immediately for me. I think it makes the most sense.
Can't wait to hear one run!

Nick-naming the ENGINE camhead sounds good to me --

Creating a separate FORUM named camheads doesn't, since the bikes are virtually identical except for one having two cams above the cylinder/head line, rather than one cam above the line.

Thus, IMO the Hexheads forum should become the Hexheads/Camheads forum.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Creating a separate FORUM named camheads doesn't, since the bikes are virtually identical except for one having two cams above the cylinder/head line, rather than one cam above the line.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

I think making different forums is a good idea. The new model with plenty of new components will have its own issues for sure. Sure much of the bike is the same, but certain "new model" issues will arise.

What happens when a forum encompasses too many models is that the relevant information you are looking for becomes lost in a quagmire of non-relevant info. I've found this to be frustrating on other forums. Like a KTM forum I frequent, they lump the four stroke bikes together. But they made a significant motor change in 2008. When I search for a particular issue I have to wade through hundreds of posts that are non relevant.

I really don't see the problem with adding forums or making subgroups of forums. But then I'm a splitter, no a lumper.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
Mark,

Sounds like a great idea to me (just like a suggestion I made to one of the forum administrators in fact..) :clap

If/When the new model diverges enough from the original Hexheads - the name will be in place, and it will be easy to make the split. Right now - I don't think there is enough difference in the bikes to do it, nor enough owners of the new bike to make it worthwhile.

Why must every engine in the US have some stupid name. It's a DOHC two cylinder, not twin, horizontally opposed air/oil cooled engine. Use the designation BMW gives it. 1200HP or "HP".
Actually - AFAIK - since there is one camshaft PER head - it technically shouldn't be designated as DOHC, which implies seperate intake and exhaust cams.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

:thumb

That would be my vote. There's SO much overlap between the two and the HP2 has already lived in the hexhead forum. From 20 feet away, they're essentially identical to the previous models.

Call it "248"

"248" for 2 cylinders, 4 cams, 8 valves.
or I'm not sure how to make this show correctly on the posting but maybe 2 cubed

(2 the the third power)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back