• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Piss poor mileage

Lately,my'04 R1150R has been returning ridiculously low mileage. A couple tank fulls ago,the low fuel light came on at around 120 miles,next tank it came on at around 110 miles,today,I couldn't believe it,the light appeared at 102 miles.I'm running a K'n'N filter,which is definetly clean,wondering if anyone has knowledge of the injectors,or any clue as to why this is happening? Thanks in advance...Nose

I would guess its the winter blend of gasoline kicking in.

The real question isn't when did the light come on. It is how many gallons did it take to replace what was burned in 102, or 120 or whatever miles.

That will tell you what your mileage is, and whether it is a consumption issue or an instrumentation issue.

Once you know that for sure you can address whatever the issue turns out to be.

That is why I record 9 out of 10 fill ups to monitor consumption.

Try to place the nozzle in the tank as shallow as possible to get the most fuel.
I put it in 1/4" each time. Once it clicks off don't try to squeeze more in.
My commute is 108.5 daily. Each day I put in 2.36(+-) to yield an average of 45.9.
A few points either way is my variable. If it drops below 40 I investigate.

Shell recently introduced nitrogen into their gas.
My mileage immediately dropped below 40.

As Paul notes... Monitor it. See what's being consumed.
And try to be somewhat consistent when refueling.

I try to use the same pump while commuting.

Maybe they are doing to gasoline what the grocery industry have done to coffee and ice cream... sell less for the same price.

I tend to use Shell frequently since its my primary gas card and more locations in my area. I hadn't thought much about the nitrogen issue, but my RT and especially my Funduro bikes have dropped mileage in recent months.

RT with mid-grade was about 45 to 47 most fill-ups, now its about 40 to 42 lately. This is light load...only "me" on the bike..no baggage or Uni-go. Full load...get about 38 to 40mpg.

I can't say its the nitrogen...as a previous posting states, this RT is about 100K miles now...but the coincidence is there.

Scotchale

America is in the middle of another mood swing.
Greener cars are on the horizon.
That being said... They still want that dial to turn at the pump.
Since Nitrogen is the new buzz word...
Why not put it in gas as a burn inhibitor.

I won't be "not burning it" anytime soon.

I am not a chemist, nor have I ever played one on TV.
However, I thought nitrogen was an inert gas. I can't see liquid nitrogen remaining in the gasoline at normal temps.
So what's the advantage to it? What do it do??

This couldn't be like putting it in your tires, could it?:dunno

Nitrogen, as a gas is colorless, odorless, and generally considered an inert element.
As a liquid (boiling point = minus 195.8oC), it is also colorless and odorless, and is similar in appearance to water.
Nitrogen gas can be prepared by heating a water solution of ammonium nitrite (NH4NO3).

The nitrogen cycle is one of the most important processes in nature for living organisms. Although nitrogen gas is relatively inert, bacteria in the soil are capable of ÔÇ£fixingÔÇØ the nitrogen into a usable form (as a fertilizer) for plants. In other words, Nature has provided a method to produce nitrogen for plants to grow. Animals eat the plant material where the nitrogen has been incorporated into their system, primarily as protein. The cycle is completed when other bacteria convert the waste nitrogen compounds back to nitrogen gas. Nitrogen is crucial to life, as it is a component of all proteins.

Nor am I a chemist... More a Googlist... :laugh

But...

The most revealing reason behind Shell's efforts to push nitrogen-enriched gas might be its decision to suspend research on alternative fuels.
In March 2009, Shell announced it would hold back indefinitely on funding and research for solar and wind power. Hydrogen power was given the boot, too.
Analysts cited recent drops in oil prices and an economic downturn as possible reasons for the move.

Nitrogen is far from an inert gas. One example: "Nitro"-glycerin

another would be Trinitrotoluene, aka "TNT"

I am a chemist and even play one at home, although not a petroleum chemist. As was stated, nitrogen (N2) is an inert gas. The "nitro" you refer to is NO2.

I am not familiar with the nitrogen claim, but addition of nitrogen gas would add nothing to fuel performance. Any nitrogen added to gasoline would eventually equilibrate with air. On the other hand, addition of a nitrogen containing hydrocarbon, such as TNT, could modify the performance of the fuel ;)

I am a chemist and even play one at home, although not a petroleum chemist. As was stated, nitrogen (N2) is an inert gas. The "nitro" you refer to is NO2.

I am not familiar with the nitrogen claim, but addition of nitrogen gas would add nothing to fuel performance. Any nitrogen added to gasoline would eventually equilibrate with air. On the other hand, addition of a nitrogen containing hydrocarbon, such as TNT, could modify the performance of the fuel ;)

I did a quick search using Google and found that Shell and others claim that the nitrogen (in whatever form it is introduced as an additive) is for the purpose of being a detergent to keep valves, and ports, and pistons, etc free of carbon deposits. They were not at all specific as to what compound of nitrogen they were using or how much.

Nor am I a chemist... More a Googlist... :laugh
But...
The most revealing reason behind Shell's efforts to push nitrogen-enriched gas might be its decision to suspend research on alternative fuels.
In March 2009, Shell announced it would hold back indefinitely on funding and research for solar and wind power. Hydrogen power was given the boot, too.
Analysts cited recent drops in oil prices and an economic downturn as possible reasons for the move.

They were not at all specific as to what compound of nitrogen they were using or how much.
Speaking of googling... Here is an interesting overview:

Negatives regarding Shell's Nitrogen Enriched Gasoline

Michael Berenis points out there are negative discussions regarding Shell's new Nitrogen Enriched gas. Forum writers point to Shell's skimpy press release as proof that the new gas is mostly marketing hype to increase sales. One science forum goes as far as to say the gas is bad for the environment. But as with most forums, there are positive and negative comments. Until an independent study is released, most discussions are speculation.

Best Practices regarding Shell's Nitrogen Enriched Gasoline

Tom Johnson, a self proclaimed Ph.D. Organic chemist with 28 US patents, states that the additives in gas create engine deposits. These deposit are different than deposits left by gasoline. Each brand's gasoline additives are comprised of different chemicals. For best overall engine cleaning, Tom Johnson says you should change your gas brand every 5,000 miles.

Conclusion to Shell's Nitrogen Enriched Gasoline

Overall, does the new Shell Nitrogen Enriched gasoline make a difference in the performance or longevity of your automobile's engine? Currently, there is not enough independent evidence to make that conclusion. For now, you can be the judge and see how Shell's Nitrogen Enriched gasoline impacts your car's performance.

...and here is everything you ever wanted to know about nitrogen. From fish tanks to filling tires.

Back