• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorrad Elektrik 39 bulb LED tail lights

kwb210

I'd like to hear some feed back on the Motorrad Elektrik's product, the 39 bulb LED tail lights,
http://www.motoelekt.com/39lednew.htm

39 Red LED 360 Bulb for R80G/S, ST, and R100GS. $29.95

Replaces #1157 bulb in stock tail light reflector, with 360 degree light distribution

It sounds simple enough, and who can make a negative of a brighter headlight? However, I am always a bit nervous about any non oem changes and apprecaite comments.
They have a variety of great looking products.
Thanks!
Kurt
new to me 1977 R100/7

I'd be very interested myself. Unfortunately, my experience to date with LED replacements for 1156/1157 bulbs (NOT from Rick/Motorrad Elektrik) is that the LEDs are nowhere near as bright.

I'd be really pleased to find some that are.

Rick is out of them right now, try the electro pods really bright and flash while braking. I just bought a set for the G/S and I like em.

I'd like to hear some feed back on the Motorrad Elektrik's product, the 39 bulb LED tail lights,

I bought one for my R100RS in Tennessee and I am happy so far because you get an awfull lot of light that you didn't have with the stock setup!

Motorrad Elektrik stands behind their products!

Darryl

It sounds simple enough, and who can make a negative of a brighter headlight? However, ...

Er, I think you mean taillight, not headlight. Yes?

I bought a bunch of LED bulbs for my bike from superbrightleds.com and was not happy with the lack of brightness. I've gone back to OEM.

I installed one of Ricks tail lights in myR-90HR and liked it so much that I bought one for the RS while I was at the National Rally.

Installation is a snap and the improvment is almost beyond description. I'd say that it's prbably the best $60 bucks that I've ever spent on an airhead.

No kidding...

I Realize that it isn't the same product that you are asking about, but I am very pleased with the Beacon-2 LED replacement tail light assembly
that he sells for the 2-bulb airhead tail lights. Brighter than stock, and not to worry about an overly high wattage license place bulb melting a hole through your red plastic lens....

I use the Brake! LED taillight system:

http://www.roadrocketeer.com/index.html

Very bright--brighter than the stock incandescent bulb. Can be programmed with dip switches to stay constant or pulse-then-constant on brake light application. It really gets the attention of people behind me. Folks do NOT ride my ass anymore. At night this thing paints the road with red light. During the day, the full taillight lens is illuminated with red when I put on the brakes--very visible.

LED downward facing white light also replaces the license plate illumination bulb.

Does not require modification of the wiring harness--so I can always back down to OEM if I want.

Lower voltage, less demand on the charging system, less heat, more robust than incandescent bulbs (my taillight shakes a lot, just the nature of the suspension on the bike).

Added bonus: I recently shattered my taillight lens. The LEDs on the Brake! replacement lights are red, so even without a lens, the LEDs displayed a red indicator to cars behind me. Still safe, even when the taillight lens fails!

I also tried the Kisan Tech trailblazer, but the Brake! product is better in my opinion.

kourt
85 BMW R80
Austin, TX

+1

Although i bought mine when they were known as GIZMOMILL. Still a great product, and it has been reliable for the 3 yrs that i have had it on the bike.

I use the Brake! LED taillight system:

http://www.roadrocketeer.com/index.html

Very bright--brighter than the stock incandescent bulb. Can be programmed with dip switches to stay constant or pulse-then-constant on brake light application. It really gets the attention of people behind me. Folks do NOT ride my ass anymore. At night this thing paints the road with red light. During the day, the full taillight lens is illuminated with red when I put on the brakes--very visible.

LED downward facing white light also replaces the license plate illumination bulb.

Does not require modification of the wiring harness--so I can always back down to OEM if I want.

Lower voltage, less demand on the charging system, less heat, more robust than incandescent bulbs (my taillight shakes a lot, just the nature of the suspension on the bike).

Added bonus: I recently shattered my taillight lens. The LEDs on the Brake! replacement lights are red, so even without a lens, the LEDs displayed a red indicator to cars behind me. Still safe, even when the taillight lens fails!

I also tried the Kisan Tech trailblazer, but the Brake! product is better in my opinion.

kourt
85 BMW R80
Austin, TX

I haven't used the 39-LED unit rick is selling but it appears to be an improvement over earlier LED 1157 replacements because the earlier ones just gave you a small circle of lights and did not at all utilise the reflector, and therefore the light was very directional.

My airhead had an earlier version of the Beacon setup he sells and that was SUPER-BRIGHT and totally eliminated both the reflector and the socket-contacts, so it ws a no-brainer.

LED tail-lite board- Motorrad Elektrik

I have installed the Beacon2 LED tail-lite and the improvement was very noticeable. A quality piece and such detailed instructions with everything that Rick sells.( I also bought coils and wires at the same time.) I would recommend this to any airhead owner.:brow

I have the 39 bulb light and it works great. Easy install and no problems. My wife usually follows me on her bike and says that it's much brighter than stock.

How long will they be brighter than stock?

I'm curious to know how long they will remain brighter since LED's don't burn out, they fade away.

As originally designed the light from the filament bulb is to be reflected off the nice chrome-plated reflector. Many LED replacements appear unidirectional, that direction being directly to the rear when installed, thus not getting much light to the reflector. Combining new technology with an older design doesn't always work, and you'll never find one of the new vehicles ex factory with LEDs doing this.

As originally designed the light from the filament bulb is to be reflected off the nice chrome-plated reflector. Many LED replacements appear unidirectional, that direction being directly to the rear when installed, thus not getting much light to the reflector. Combining new technology with an older design doesn't always work, and you'll never find one of the new vehicles ex factory with LEDs doing this.

Looking at the LED panels, it doesn't appear that the existing light's reflector is used. The illumination is brighter because of the number and brightness of the LEDs. If it's brighter than the dual bulb set-up w/reflector that's in my RS/RT, then it appears to be a combination that is an improvement.

With the old system, you needed the reflector to produce a bright light. With the 39 LED system, it's much brighter than the original and doesn't need the reflector. The LED system in an airhead tail light is far superior in brightness to the original.

The Beacon 2 replaces the original reflector and has a lot of individual LEDs that are much brighter than the original. Bright red running lights, bright red brake lights, and bright white LEDs that shine down on the license plate. I can look in my mirror at night and see the road lit up behind me. Just put one on, from Motorrad Electrik along with the electro pods for even more light when braking. Good stuff.

LEDs on a R80RT

I have replaced all the lights accept the headlight with LEDs. The turn signals take a replacement flasher and adding a couple of high watt resistors to the circuit on each side purchased from Radio Shack. I managed to shoe horn in a set of Hyperlights and a pair of ballast resistors into the rear turn signal housing by carving down the material on the inside of the housing with a dremel tool (careful, it's fiberglass, wear a mask and use a coarse file tool). I used the combination running light, brake light, turn signal module from Hyperlight, so now I have additional running lights, pulsing brake lights to either side of the center light and normal amber turn signals. AND, low power drain, so I'm still charging while chugging along at night in traffic. Front turn signals and separate tail and brake lights were ordered from LEDLIght.com. For the rear tail and brake lights I used 24 led modules with all the LEDs facing rearward. (the guy you want to impress is the one following you!) LEDlights.com has a nice FAQ page and talk about automotive requirements. I used red lights in the back and amber in the front, except for the Hyperlights that were half and half. All are plenty bright to see in daylight.

Here is a photo of my bike from the rear with brake applied. My tail light led insert is one I bought several years ago from Rick. I don't recall how many led's it has, but it sure looks brighter and "fills" the lens better than the apparently single light bulb bike next to me. This unit is a circuit board shaped to fit the housing with two or three white LED's for an attempt at license plate lighting with the remainder of the LED's being red. I don't remember it being called beacon at the time.

Attachments

• Copy of Conway Elk_s Run 022.jpg
    Copy of Conway Elk_s Run 022.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 259
Back