• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Miami to Johnson City via Vancouver, Canada

mtfrench

GSMoto31
I decided to take a "little detour" on my way from Miami to the National Rally later this summer. For a variety of work-related events, I have to be in Austin on June 10, Reno on June 23, and Vancouver on June 30. This gives me a perfect excuse to ride my bike for a work/vacation combo that will end in Johnson City for the start of the National. I'm going to slab it from Miami to Austin, but I would appreciate any feedback and suggested deviations from my tentative routes outlined below.

By the way, I will be riding a R1200GSA and camping whenever possible.

Austin to Reno: 183 to 84 through west TX and into NM. Follow 84 to 295 and into CO. Spend a few days tooling around the CO mountains and then catch 70/50 through UT and NV to Reno. I want to spend a day or two at the Red Rock Rendezvous Rally in Panguitch, UT.

Reno to Vancouver: 20 to 99 to 97 through northcental CA and into OR. 97 through central OR into WA. 2 to 9 and into Canada.

Vancouver to Winnipeg: Mostly follow 1 through Canada, with detours to Jasper, Banff, and Lake Louise.

Winnipeg to Johnson City: Depending on how much time I have left, I might have to slab it from here to arrive on July 16.

Looking forward to any and all suggestions....:ear

Vancouver to Winnipeg: Mostly follow 1 through Canada, with detours to Jasper, Banff, and Lake Louise.

Looking forward to any and all suggestions....:ear

My recommendation for that leg would be Vancouver to Lake Louise/Banff and then up 93 to Jasper. From there take the Yellowhead highway through Edmonton, Lloydminster, Saskatoon, Yorkton on to Portage La Prairie, MB then 1 to Winterpeg. Just my opinion but I believe the scenery along the Yellowhead to the 'Peg is much more varied than taking the TCH. Not necessarily better, just a bigger variety.

the chaos of the impending GPS crisis has reared its ugly head early!!!!

My recommendation for that leg would be Vancouver to Lake Louise/Banff and then up 93 to Jasper. From there take the Yellowhead highway through Edmonton, Lloydminster, Saskatoon, Yorkton on to Portage La Prairie, MB then 1 to Winterpeg. Just my opinion but I believe the scenery along the Yellowhead to the 'Peg is much more varied than taking the TCH. Not necessarily better, just a bigger variety.

Sounds like a nice alternative to the TCH. Thanks. Considering summer traffic and some vista viewing, about how many days from Vancouver to the "Peg?" Long days on the bike are not a problem for me, but I want to enjoy the trip rather than racing across the country.

Through Oregon, Hwy 97 is nothing to get excited about. It is gunbarrel straight and although it goes near neat scenery, it does not really go through neat scenery. Hwy 395 on the other hand is a syncopation of sweepers between Burns and John Day, and from John Day you get to go through the dry canyon country and its remarkable twisties. From John Day go west on 26 to OR 19 through Spray, Service Creek. Then at Fossil you have the choice to continue on 19, or hook west on 218 to Clarno through Antelope and meet Hwy 97 at Shaniko.

Continue on 97 to Yakima and take 12 East to 410 and 706 through Mt. Ranier National Park. That will rock your world.

Radium Hot Springs near Banff

Big Trip!

One stop I would highly recommend would be in Radium hot springs in Alberta.
It's near Banff and their is a great little campground just above the town with a walking trail to the hot springs. The little town of Radium is very cool, small place with a good coffee shop and great little German restaurant.
It's a great place to visit near Banff.
Also, I've stayed at the YWCA in Banff, it's near downtown and has great views of the mountains.

Mike

Sounds like a nice alternative to the TCH. Thanks. Considering summer traffic and some vista viewing, about how many days from Vancouver to the "Peg?" Long days on the bike are not a problem for me, but I want to enjoy the trip rather than racing across the country.

Google Earth has the distance via the TCH as about 2300 km. Driving 60 mph, that would be about 23 hours of actual movement time. Making the detour north from Banff to Jasper to pickup the Yellowhead, would probably add a day. Highway 93, otherwise known as the Icefields Parkway, is rather cluttered with tourists. But the scenery is worth it.

Thanks for the great suggestions, particularly the local info for riding through Oregon. I'm still looking for an interesting route from Austin, TX to Southern Colorado and from Calgary to Winnipeg. I'm thinking it may be best to head south into Montana after Alberta instead of going all the way to Winnipeg before heading south. Opinions?

Back