• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

securing your bike while traveling and staying at hotel/motels

G

GeneLS

I'm taking a ride to Laughlin Nv. this week . I'm a bit worried about safety of my 1150rt , its a overniter. I have a Xena lock. What is anyones good recommendation.

Ask to park outside hotel/motels front entrance. Most places are good about this. The bonus is that if there is a pull through, it's well lit your bike will be under cover . Other than a big chain around your ankle to the bike.... Have never done anything other than park it and go to sleep. Go, have fun and don't worry about it, that's my best advice.

Park next to a bike without a lock. You are unlucky if you encounter a professional gang of bike thieves, who usually stake out an area for a while and steal to order. So you have to deter the opportunist.
Make you bike less attractive. Out of sight, a cover, or away from view of the street. Conversely, in front of any manned areas and well lit, have a chat to the security guard, so they know what you look like and give a damn if someone else starts to pay unwarranted attention to your bike. Chain it to something sturdy.

Don't become freaked out by the fear of theft, it probably won't happen.

A greater worry than theft is having some drunk or inattentive car or truck driver bump it in the parking lot and driving off.
"What was that you knocked over Henry?"
"Uhhh, I dunno, just somebody's scooter or bicycle I reckon. No big deal. Let's go."

I consider that possibility in any parking lot, but left overnight in a motel lot, the chances are significantly greater depending where and how you park it, especially if you are the only bike around.

after numerous motels (some 'no tells') and many miles of travel throughout the U.S., we have yet to find any indicator of intended theft of even general mischief. Don't obsess over it because it will ruin the joy of travel. However, we do use a cable connecting the front wheel to a post (or around the wheel if no post) which mostly discourages the general thug-thief and, having a Uni-go trailer, we leave the trailer attached. Massive lock that only a welder can disconnect and an eleven foot unit that could only be moved by folks you wouldn't want to mess with anyway. Seriously, park safe... keep it covered..... get a motel room on the ground floor with bike just outside the window (you'd be suprised how many motel's will accommodate for you). Also, rural based motel seem to feel the most secure and they tend to be friendly, accommodating and safe. Really.... enjoy your trip.

On second thought, run a long piece of fishing line from the bike to a bell inside the room and if ........ (just kidding) - Bob

I always bring a cover, always park under the canopy if they'll let me (they always have) or park the bike outside of the room. Never had an issue.

really?

who would want to steal a BMW? What would they do with it? Part it out at Sturgis?

of course, I'm thinking of old airheads. maybe some of the newer models would be mistaken for Japanese racer clones.:bolt

Think Small

My wife and I have stayed in dozens of hotels and motels. She has a R1150R and I ride an old K75. By the time we get to the motel, they are dirty enough that they are of no interest to thieves. We do tend to stay in small towns rather than cities. We carry a cable lock but seldom deloy it.:type

There's your answer...park next to Statdawg's bike, but lock yours with a chain to something other than his bike.
Given the choice, they'll nick his!!!

Have to agree with 26667 (funny name..)

Who wants to steal a BMW? Park it next to any Harley's in the lot.. or even Japanese bikes. They're much more likely targets.

I also find the use of a KwiKover to hide the bike a bit seems helpful. http://www.kwikover.com/ Seems to keep prying fingers away, and parents who think a picture of their kid sitting on your bike would be cute.

Plus as almost everyone has mentioned - parking under the canopy at lots of motels is not only accepted, in some cases, it's been suggested to me by the receptionist.

Clement's big toe.

I'm taking a ride to Laughlin Nv. this week . I'm a bit worried about safety of my 1150rt , its a overniter. I have a Xena lock. What is anyones good recommendation.
Clement Salvadori of "Rider" magazine fame claims to run a length of string from a big toe to his bike while he is abed.. Should anyone move it he'll be awakened! Perhaps we should take this with a grain of salt?

Beware of the wildlife.......

I put my bike cover over my G.S. (out of sight, out of mind) and lock the steering.
The bike cover saved my bike more than once from pine sap while camping and the only attack on my bike was from a Canadian Raccoon with an attitude that took a leak on my wheels and stole my doritos while I slept.....must have been the Montana plates?

I lock the Jesse bags on my GS and take the ignition key with me...

Voni and I travel by bike essentially all summer. We often camp, but sometimes stay at motels too.

First off - I'm fussy about where the motel is located. We tend to find decent mom 'n pops is small to mid sized towns. If not that - then modest priced chain units at the edge of a larger 'burb. If I see bars over windows I don't even want to ride there, let alone stay there. If there is a security night window at the office, move on.

I usually pull the electronics off the bikes, and usually lock the bags. Other than that the security comes from where I stop.

It is not at all difficult to look around, be aware, and figure out if you are in a good location or a nasty one. If the area is run down, bars on windows, guys drinking out of brown bags hanging on the sidewalks, crappy cars running up and down the street - don't stay there! Plan ahead so you don't have to.

Other than tree sap and raccoon pee, I don't see the point of a bike cover. It's one thing to cover it with a garage or covered trailer, but a thin cloth?

Seems to me it only takes a second to see what's under the cover.

Other than tree sap and raccoon pee, I don't see the point of a bike cover. It's one thing to cover it with a garage or covered trailer, but a thin cloth?

Seems to me it only takes a second to see what's under the cover.
Out of sight - out of mind. People don't steal what they don't see. It works, you should try it.

Paul G's post pretty well sums it up . Also have to agree with Mike about bike covers. I don't see where they are of benefit in addressing security concerns.

Back