• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Factory lowered R1200RT

themayer

Retired User
I'm close to making a decision on a new, factory-lowered R1200RT. Finding that ESA is not available on the low model was a surprise, but I decided that I could live with it. What is more disturbing is that the saddle is completely different. Not only is it a one-piece rather than two-piece, but the anchor system is different. I'm afraid that this will limit my options in the saddle aftermarket. Has anyone out there gone shopping for a saddle for the lowered RT?

The '09 factory lowered RT is my second BMW. My F had a horribly painful seat....by back ached. The seat on the RT is fine.....nothing bothers me. Hips, back, butt....all good.

You may not need an aftermarket seat but if you do, can't you just send the seat pan in and have them do it on the pan?

Maybe I have road dirt bikes to long, but it never crossed my mind to get a lowered seat on my R1200RT. Being 5'8" I went with the stock seat, it felt strange to sit that low on the bike when I tried the lower seat.

Bill is the lowered seat so you can be flat footed while stopped, I was just wondering what is driving the choice.

JT

Maybe I have road dirt bikes to long, but it never crossed my mind to get a lowered seat on my R1200RT. Being 5'8" I went with the stock seat, it felt strange to sit that low on the bike when I tried the lower seat.

Bill is the lowered seat so you can be flat footed while stopped, I was just wondering what is driving the choice.

JT

I'm 5'6" and saying I have a 29" inseam is probably an exaggeration. I have a Sargent low seat on my '04 RT and it gets my toes on the ground, but I do a lot of in-town riding, and muscling that tall, heavy bike in and out of parking spots and other tight places is getting to be dicey. I'm 64 and would feel a little more comfortable cruising into my retirement being able to flat-foot a slightly lighter bike. Considered an F800ST, but I love the RT. Not ready to give up on it yet.

You may not need an aftermarket seat but if you do, can't you just send the seat pan in and have them do it on the pan?

Yeah, I could do that, but I didn't mention that the 1-piece low seat is dead ugly. I'm sure this is a solve-able problem. Was just curious if any of my brethren (sistern?) had already dealt with it.

Of all the comments people make about my bike, none have been about the seat. They usually want to know about the computer functions and electronics. I'm just happy they made an RT I can reach the ground on.

I guess the other option is to get an unlowered RT and have the suspension changed so that it's lowered (as you would have done on an older model). Then you're still have the two piece seat.

Of all the comments people make about my bike, none have been about the seat. They usually want to know about the computer functions and electronics. I'm just happy they made an RT I can reach the ground on.

I guess the other option is to get an unlowered RT and have the suspension changed so that it's lowered (as you would have done on an older model). Then you're still have the two piece seat.

The factory lowered is about $175, and lowering it after factory is more like $1500 or so. Is it such that the standard seat cannot be retrofitted to the factory lowered model?

Bingo, Beemergirl! That's certainly an option I'm considering.

The factory lowered is about $175, and lowering it after factory is more like $1500 or so. Is it such that the standard seat cannot be retrofitted to the factory lowered model?

I'm exploring that one with my dealership. It seems to be possible...of course, then you've raised the seat height again.

I'm exploring that one with my dealership. It seems to be possible...of course, then you've raised the seat height again.

The low factory option is called the ultra low seat. There is also a low and standard two piece seat.

Ok then....the Ultralow seat cannot be exchanged with the other two seats.
And BMW didn't have a heated seat on the Ultralow either. No ESA option and no heat. There are tradeoff's to being able to reach the ground and ride an RT:dance .

Have a look at this, Beemergirl: www.sargentcycle.com/bmwwsr12rt.htm. Scroll down to about the middle of the page where it talks about the low seat options, including for the factory lowered bike. Even has BMW parts numbers for the conversion to a two-piece seat. Should have checked the Sargent site in the first place, though the conversation here certainly pushed me toward further exploration.

Nice to know but the seat would put me higher and I'm already tippy toed. My bike had it's first drop today, I slipped on sand in my parking spot (I knew it's sandy there) and had to set her down. Dangit! But I picked her up using the Skirt method and it was easier than anything I'd expected. I had thought my first drop would be backing out of my driveway but nooooo.... As far as I know, no witnesses!

Anyways....these are the issues for short folk. :type Can't reach the ground, can't prevent a drop once at a certain angle...it's tough. Nice to learn about options though!

Kevin....I'd love longer legs!!!

Nancy

Kevin....I'd love longer legs!!!

Well my legal team is looking into the idea and it doesn't look good. Bunch of wimps! They think people will object to spending many hours on the rack.

I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and I'm on my toes with the RT. It seems BMW thinks they are sending these bikes to the land of giants. I have a set of boots in with Dave the Cobbler in Seattle having an inch and half added to the soles. That will cost me $50 instead of $1500 to lower the bike and change the geometry in some unknown way. Have you considered platform boots? May sound silly, but give the idea a chance to grow on ya.

So What To Do About the headlight not adjusting when I added a lowering Kit on My 2005 rt

and oH ya What about the side stand seems to Long Now :cry :cry

Any Help?

So What To Do About the headlight not adjusting when I added a lowering Kit on My 2005 rt

and oH ya What about the side stand seems to Long Now :cry :cry

Any Help?

Ran out of range on the headlight adjuster?
BMW has a lowered RT sidestand in parts. Or you could have a shop cut it down and weld.

Back