• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Us Route 20

1995gs

I live in Maine and am planning heading across the country and am considering Route 20 since it begins in Boston and ends in Oregon. It's a huge ride but I'm also concerned of the number of Walmarts and other huge strip malls I will have to get through on this route.

Has anyone else done this trip along Route 20? I'm trying to keep on "blue" highways and avoiding Interstates. My goal is Seattle to celebrate a 10 year anniversary from bone marrow transplant which I had there in 1999.

I've never used the anonomous book in 18 years of MOA membership. I was going to test those waters by looking up those members who offered bedroll space or camping space. If I can pull this off, it will be an early September trip.

Thanks!

I've run bits and pieces of RT 20 over the years. as I recall its a good road with 4 lanes in some areas. If it were me I would take RT 50 then head north after I hit Calif.Sounds like a great trip, keep us posted.

NY Portion

I've driven the NY portion of the Great Western Turnpike as it's called. There is some scenery on the NY section and some old run down Erie Canal towns.

I followed Rt 20 eastbound a lot of the way across the country on my bicycle. I think you'll really enjoy it. You might consider a different way around the Chicago area, however. I was riding through a stretch of Nebraska that made me think of the Dust Bowl days when a Model A Ford went by headed hell-for-leather westbound. Thought I'd been time shifted. There's very little traffic along the section across Nebraska and Wyoming and the terrain is a whole lot more interesting than beating your way across I80. There's a motel in Lusk, Wy with pink neon and surprisingly large and comfortable rooms. When you get to Shoshoni, I'd recommend heading west on 26 rather than taking 20 north. It'll take you over Togwotee Pass to the Tetons and in the south entrance to Yellowstone. Then follow 287 out the west entrance and up to Ennis. You'll pass Earthquake Lake, formed not too long ago, 50s, I think. At Ennis, continue on 287 past the old west town of Virginia City, on through Sheridan and pick up 41 to Dillon at Twin Bridges. You'll pass Beaverhead Rock, a landmark used by Sacagawea to help Lewis and Clark navigate through the area. Just south of Dillon, take 278 over into the Big Hole. You'll pass Bannock, an outlaw ghost town. In Jackson, there's a very interesting place to stay with a hot spring. There are rooms, rustic cabins and camping. Can't miss it, there isn't much else there. Continue up to Wisdom and take 43 past the Nez Perce National Historic Park and over the Chief Joseph Pass. Head north on 93 through Missoula to 200 and follow that along the Clark Fork River to Sandpoint, ID. From there, take 2 into Washington and pick up 20 and follow it all the way across the Cascades to Rockport where you can get 530 down to Seattle. It's a fantastic route and every day your eyes will fall out of your head.

+1 on what bicyclist said...but Hwy 20 he mentions in Washington is State Route 20, US 20 ends on the Oregon coast. But I particularly liked his advice re: Yellowstone environs...he's outlined some really excellent roads there...

US 20 through Oregon is okay, but his suggestion to go north via Sand Point, etc, is right on...much more interesting ride that way. Guess depending on your timing you could always do that northerly route to visit Seattle and then head south to the Oregon coast and do that part of US 20 as you begin the trek eastward.

I'm not so familiar with US20 east of Wyoming, but do know the section through my birthplace of Fort Dodge, IA is sort of boring...but hey, that's the midwest!

Good luck on your journey...and way to go with the health situation. Sort of been there, done that with a different sort of problem, but know what it's like living with it.

Cheers! Bill J

1995 GS,
A big Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary on your BMT. :dance .
I had stem cell transplant 6/20/98 at UCONN health center in Ct. I wasnt able to do a special ride last year due to a hip replacement in may.
Enjoy your trip and celebrate your new "birthday". Ride safe

Bob Druge

Hey Guys, this is great info! It will take a couple months just to plan out the trip and get my routes together to find some of the best roads across the country.

Anyone else wanting to share, please do so!

Special thanks to Bill and Bob for their acknowledgement of my 10 year survivorship. Every day is a gift! Too bad most people don't know it.

Hey Guys, this is great info! It will take a couple months just to plan out the trip and get my routes together to find some of the best roads across the country.

Anyone else wanting to share, please do so!

Special thanks to Bill and Bob for their acknowledgement of my 10 year survivorship. Every day is a gift! Too bad most people don't know it.

Sometimes we just have to get to close to the cliff (or over it! LOL) before we understand life more clearly. During my eighth heart surgery (in eight years) I had a full arrest on the table...resisted the "jump" start process, so underwent nearly an hour of manual CPR before a open heart team was ready to take me on, and was given a 50/50 chance of survival from a 5 way bypass, AND a 90 per cent chance of brain damage. But hey, almost 11 years later, I don't mind the 90 per cent brain damage! (Great docs here around Seattle, eh?)

Meanwhile, just enjoy every day! :whistle

Take care, and once you get an itinerary set up, let me know if you'd like a bit of company on the road as you pass through the Seattle area. We live in Kitsap County, a short ferry ride over Puget Sound west of Seattle. If you decide to come to this area before heading south to Oregon, I'd be pleased to show you some of the less cage filled roads on this side of the Everwet State.

Ciao! Bill J

Sometimes we just have to get to close to the cliff (or over it! LOL) before we understand life more clearly. During my eighth heart surgery (in eight years) I had a full arrest on the table...resisted the "jump" start process, so underwent nearly an hour of manual CPR before a open heart team was ready to take me on, and was given a 50/50 chance of survival from a 5 way bypass, AND a 90 per cent chance of brain damage. But hey, almost 11 years later, I don't mind the 90 per cent brain damage! (Great docs here around Seattle, eh?)

Meanwhile, just enjoy every day! :whistle

Take care, and once you get an itinerary set up, let me know if you'd like a bit of company on the road as you pass through the Seattle area. We live in Kitsap County, a short ferry ride over Puget Sound west of Seattle. If you decide to come to this area before heading south to Oregon, I'd be pleased to show you some of the less cage filled roads on this side of the Everwet State.

Ciao! Bill J

I am a local Seattle-area volunteer for the Lance Armstrong Foundation, and as such I hear lots of stories about how people came to Seattle and had their lives saved or extended by the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (Fred Hutchison Cancer Center, University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle Childrens Hospital). I could not be prouder of my sleepy little town and how it's become an epicenter for healing and stories with happy endings!

Thanks guys for the kind words. Seattle saved me 10 years ago. They deserve a big hug from me at the Fred "Hutch" Cancer Research Center. They still write to me every year and ask how I'm doing and to share how my life has changed since BMT.

If anyone out there reading this thread are told they need a bone marrow transplant, do yourself a favor and make a visit to Seattle.

For those of you in the Seattle area, I would love your company if I can make it there in September!

Don

. I was going to test those waters by looking up those members who offered bedroll space or camping space. If I can pull this off, it will be an early September trip.

Thanks!

US 20 passes just south of my place in Rochester, NY. You are welcome here, coffee and spare bedroom are provided. :thumb

Us 20

back in 2006 we went to the west coast. From Glacier we followed US 2 TO Oldtown Washington. There we took 20 all the way to Fort Casey Washington and the Ferry to Port Townsend, Then 101 to Sappho, then north on 113 to junction with 112 to Cape Flattery.

Without a doubt 20 across Washington was one of the best roads I have ever been on. At the time the road had just been rebuilt and still had the construction and warning signs everywhere but the road was just great.

I want to go back when I can spend more time exploring in Washington and Oregon. Unfortunately the people we were riding with are beach nuts and we passed up all the good riding to take the 101 along the pacific, which was pretty too.

OOPS, did a little more looking at my maps and the 20 through Washington is a state road. There is a US 20 in oregon.

Last edited:
Back