• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pricing guidance please-2005 Dakar/1999 Rt

O

Osm3um

I have a 2005 Dakar with about 10,000 miles on it. Caribou bags, TT lights, koubalink lowered, Russel Day Long seat.

I have determined I am more interested in Streets than dirt. Thus I am looking at a 1999 1100rt with 20,000 miles, corbin seat (not a fan of corbin but....), not sure what else, at a dealer.

I have looked on KBB/NADA but would like some guidance like:

What should be the trade in value on the Dakar? Is it better to strip all the extras off and sell them seperately?

What is a decent price on the RT?

and finally what should be the bottom line between the two? My guess is I will probably end up spending something...or should I?

Thanks,
Bob

I usually go to http://www.mcnews.com and check their used bike value guide. After that I go to the blue book or NADA sites and get an understanding of what is fair market value. The price usually is somewhere in the range of all of them together. As for extras, that is not something I have found you can bank on. If you are selling to someone that really understands or desires the extras, then they will bring extra. It's like my Dad used to say, "value is only what some one is willing to pay."

You should sell your bike with a seat. If you have the OEM seat then sell the custom seat seperately. The accessories will not usually get you much more than the bike will go for.

For information purposes, I just traded in a very similar bike (except stock seat) and the dealer gave me $4600. Possibly could have haggled for more but I was getting a very good price on the new bike. If you want maximum price sell it youself but that takes more time and effort.

Don't expect a dealer to give much value to the accessories. A knowledgeable buyer may value them but probably not the rider the dealer will have to resell it to!

Back