• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Certainly not the usual synthetic oil question

Paul_F

RK Ryder
My K100 has approximately 131,000 miles (210,000 km) on it. For the last 60,000 miles or so, I have used synthetic. The PO used synthetic as well, although I do not know for how many miles he used it.

My question; are there any downsides to using synthetic on an old touring K with high mileage like mine?

My K100 has approximately 131,000 miles (210,000 km) on it. For the last 60,000 miles or so, I have used synthetic. The PO used synthetic as well, although I do not know for how many miles he used it.

My question; are there any downsides to using synthetic on an old touring K with high mileage like mine?

IMO. NO downsides..

Ralph Sims

Yeah it's fine, it all started out coming out of an oil well someplace, it's not like it started life coming in to some labaratory in beakers and suddenly its "synthetic oil". I even hate the word "synthetic oil", makes it sound like it's not really oil.

You're fine as long as the engine stays oil tight. If it starts seeping out of the seals (mine seeped out of the rear main), switch to a dino oil and it will probably stop seeping (at least it did with my K100).

Let's see ... It's running strong at 131K miles with synthetic oil. Sounds like a validation for using it to me. The only downside is that if the engine doesn't wear out you can't justify getting a new bike.
robert :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :scratch :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb

The only downside is that if the engine doesn't wear out you can't justify getting a new bike.
robert

Well SURE ya can! Just not by claiming the engine is worn out! Bring that bad boy over here, I'll show you other ways to justify getting a new bike. Stop by the store and pick up a few bananas, we're going to the gravel pit!

Gilly

Back