• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

oil weight question

D

DZIMBRIC

I just drained the oil in the 05 1200GS and can't remember which weight oil this bike takes and can't find my manual.

I have a pretty good selection of oil in the garage between the R bike, two K bikes, the porsche, her dodge cage and my diesel truck.

Yeah, I know it's probally the one i don't have four quarts of.:stick

I just drained the oil in the 05 1200GS and can't remember which weight oil this bike takes and can't find my manual.

I have a pretty good selection of oil in the garage between the R bike, two K bikes, the porsche, her dodge cage and my diesel truck.

Yeah, I know it's probally the one i don't have four quarts of.:stick

20W50

or 15W-50.

I have been tempted to use the very special German Castrol oil that BMW sells for my M3 engine - it's 10W-60. Surprisingly, it costs less than the BMW bike synthetic 15W-50 stuff. Wonder why that is?

I have 8 quarts of 10w60 synthetic left over from my Moto Guzzi Norge. What about using it in my RT? What do you guys think?
Thanks
Ferd

Castrol 20-50 4T

Paul G. recommends Castro 20-50 4T, which is available at AutoZone stores and probably others. It is formulated for motorcycles and is SG/SH rated.

My local AutoZone sells for $4.99/qt, or a little under $60 plus tax per case.

At my store and probably all AutoZone stores, the oil is not with the automobile oil, but on as seperated shelf with other motorcycle products.

The oil debate will never end, I was in the oil busniss for almost 20 years, I worked for a company that made product for many companys (private lable) plus our own brand, several are no longer with us and some that are well known in the motorcycle and performance automotive industry. I've heard so much BS over the years that I could write a book. I get a kick out of some of the nonsense that is written on verious sites that deal with motorcycles, cars, boats, lawn mowers. anything that is powered.

I found any time I was around lube oil discusions if I kept my mouth shut I was way ahead, I'm not an engineer, but I worked with several over the years and learned alittle about what made oil work. One of the things I learned was never argue about religon, politics, or the brand of a mans motor oil, because that refurs back to the other two.

Ken G.

Back