• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fly fishing in TN, NC at Rally

dancogan

While I'm looking forward to the great riding, I also wouldn't mind some fly fishing for trout while I'm at the rally. Do any locals have ideas on where to go, preferably relatively close to the rally site?

Hey Dan; I've been wondering about that myself. Brought my pack rod to the RA rally in they U.P., but didn't get a chance to use it. I'll bet that we could find someplace to wet a line without too much trouble. I'm more interested in licence's and such. I plan on hanging around for both (or should I say all three rallies, as the CMA will be holding their national east in W.VA. between the beemer rallies) and would love to kill some time with a 4 weight line and a dry fly... Just concerned with having to deal with the DNR down that way. Anyone able to help? Vaya con Dios, Dutch

Hey Dan; I've been wondering about that myself. Brought my pack rod to the RA rally in they U.P., but didn't get a chance to use it. I'll bet that we could find someplace to wet a line without too much trouble. I'm more interested in licence's and such. I plan on hanging around for both (or should I say all three rallies, as the CMA will be holding their national east in W.VA. between the beemer rallies) and would love to kill some time with a 4 weight line and a dry fly... Just concerned with having to deal with the DNR down that way. Anyone able to help? Vaya con Dios, Dutch

Hey you will be in trout flying heaven

try this link: http://www.rodsguide.com/fishing.aspx

Hope this helps....

BTW, after of before the rally several motorcycle only campgrounds in the area have fishing out the tent door...

Trout/Small mouth Bass Fly Fishing at the Ralley

Pretty good trout fishing in this area, some of the best east Of the Mississippi River. I like the tailwaters of the South Holsten Lake and can highly reccommend the folks at the Virginia Creeper Fly Shop in Abingdon, VA, for guiding services or information and supplies. They are about 30-40 miles from Grey, TN.

Check their link out: http//www/vcflyshop.com

many great places..check out this forum and go to 'stream reports"

http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/

Deep Creek is easy to get to in Bryson city, but will be crowded...some of its tributaries can be good...really it's a matter of how far you want to drive...I prefer the wild trout streams to the bigger tailwaters, but this area has something for everybody.

yes..Davidson River, but it gets like Disneyland...some of the tribs to the Davidson can be fun..also very smart fish ion the "D"

I carry too:)

I try to fish on adventures around the USA too. I find the license, out of state thing is quite outrageous in most states and I prefer to save my money. State Parks sometime and/or "National Parks", especially the latter, do not require a license, but have lure requirements, like "Barbless hooks"! Private land is another choice in some states, for no license, if you know somebody. I take my chances sometimes too, without a license and have never been caught, but I KNOW the rules$$$! Randy:usa

I try to fish on adventures around the USA too. I find the license, out of state thing is quite outrageous in most states and I prefer to save my money. State Parks sometime and/or "National Parks", especially the latter, do not require a license, but have lure requirements, like "Barbless hooks"! Private land is another choice in some states, for no license, if you know somebody. I take my chances sometimes too, without a license and have never been caught, but I KNOW the rules$$$! Randy:usa

A fishing licence is required for the smokey mtn national park. No trout stamp required in the GSMNP (cheaper if purchased on the NC side)

Last edited:
Hey all; Thanks for the information. Looking forward to some really good fishing! Anytime you can ride some great roads, camp with a few thousand of your best bros, AND (hopefully) eat some fresh fish, well it just doesn't get much better then that!!See you in the summer... Vaya con Dios, Dutch

Not all trout streams are put and take...some are catch and release only...barbless hooks...especially some of the streams int eh Smokies...

but there is a stream that runs right through the middle of Cherokee that is stocked and you can, I believe, take the stockers out of there...

Sorry:)

Thought all N. Parks were free for fishing, with rules! Some states must have a different approach to this and their N.Parks !. 40$ now for a California resident license and an out of sate guy would really get the shaft here! Is it that way back east? Expensive? Randy:usa

Thought all N. Parks were free for fishing, with rules! Some states must have a different approach to this and their N.Parks !. 40$ now for a California resident license and an out of sate guy would really get the shaft here! Is it that way back east? Expensive? Randy:usa

Here are some regulations for fishing in the GSMNP

Great Smoky Mountains National Park License Requirements
Persons possessing a valid Tennessee OR North Carolina state fishing license may fish all open Park waters. Licenses must be displayed on demand by authorized personnel. Supplemental state trout licenses are not required. The Park does not sell state fishing licenses. Tennessee licenses may be purchased at Little River Outfitters.

Tennesse License Requirements (inside GSMNP on TN side)
Residents and nonresidents age 13 and older must have a valid license. Residents age 65 and older may obtain a special license from the state. No trout license is required.

North Carolina License Requirements (inside GSMNP on NC side)
Residents and nonresidents age 16 and older need a license. Residents age 70 and older may obtain a special license from the state.

Persons under 16 in North Carolina and under 13 in Tennessee are entitled to the adult daily bag and possession limits and are subject to all other regulations.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park Fishing Regulations
Season
Fishing is permitted year-round in open waters.

Time
Fishing is allowed from a half hour before official sunrise to a half hour after official sunset.

Daily Possession Limits
Five (5) rainbow or brown trout, smallmouth bass, or a combination of these, each day or in possession, regardless of whether they are fresh, stored in an ice chest, or otherwise preserved. The combined total must not exceed five fish.

Twenty (20) rockbass may be kept in addition to the above limit.

A person must stop fishing immediately after obtaining the limit.

Size Limits
Rainbow and Brown Trout: 7" minimum
Brook Trout (only in specifically opened waters): 7" minimum
Smallmouth Bass: 7" minimum
Rockbass (redeye): No size limit

Trout or smallmouth bass caught less than the legal length shall be immediately returned to the water from which it was taken.

Lures, Bait and Equipment
1. Fishing is permitted only by the use of one hand-held rod.
2. ONLY artificial flies or lures with a single hook may be used. Dropper flies may be used. Up to two flies on a leader.
3. Use or possession of any form of fish bait or liquid scent other than artificial flies or lures on or along any park stream while in possession of fishing tackle is prohibited.
Prohibited baits include, but are not limited to, minnows (live or otherwise preserved), worms, corn, cheese, bread, salmon eggs, pork rinds, Power Bait, liquid scents and natural baits found along streams.
4. Use or possession of double, treble, or gang hooks is prohibited.
5. Fishing tackle and equipment, including creels and fish in possession, are subject to inspection by authorized personnel.

Printed Fishing Regulations are available at GSMNP Visitor Centers

TN Nonresident Fishing Licenses
Type 076 - NR Annual Fishing No Trout * - $41.00
Type 077 - NR 3 Day Fishing No Trout * - $16.50
Type 078 - NR 3 Day Fishing All Species - $33.50
Type 079 - NR 10 Day Fishing No Trout * - $25.50
Type 080 - NR 10 Day Fishing All Species - $50.50
Type 081 - NR Annual Fishing All Species - $81.00

Trout stamp not necessary inside the park

Had big fun at the rally . . . secured a guide (Forrest) out of the Asheville store "Hunter & Banks" who drove up and picked us up at the rally site Friday morning. We fished the trophy section of the Watauga river by drift boat.

It had rained a bit Thursday night and the feeder streams put a little color in the water so we mainly nymphed with a little dry fly fishing to the banks with a beetle.

Boated over 50 trout , broke off a few that we never saw . . . mostly rainbows but had some nice browns. Can't say enough good things about the fishery. The condition of the fish was outstanding. Give it a try if you're in the area.

597568139_zzaWB-M-1.jpg

:thumb

Fantastic! Glad you fished. And that's a nice brown.

Me, I had the rod packed with the entire bike but work got in the way....

Do you need a license if you are with a guide?

Back